VPS hacked

A place to discuss anything.
megarain

Yeah .. its tough.

A lot of forum members have computer skills at a v high level, and assume others can follow instructions.

I am waiting for the post Euler promised, or will also resort to trying myself, and no doubt stuffing it up.

You have my sympathies.
Euler

I'll get it up shortly, just have a lot on my plate.
Dublin_Flyer

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:08 pm
That would work. Although I always set up a 2nd user and then disable Admin. That's incase I have a problem and want to look at what the default settings were.

The defaults have to be set to something and Admin is just what it is. All VPSs are the same. It's like phone passwords being 0000.
Ah man I remember way before the whole News of The World voicemail hacking was public, we'd sit in the pub on a sunday, pick someone we didn't like and call their voicemail directly, enter the 0000 and change their voicemail greeting.

"Hi it's Helen, I can't answer right now, I'm busy with 3 guys and a llama behind the bike sheds at the community centre. You can join in too if you bring a bag of chips for me, see ya soon!"

Early 20's = easily entertained!
megarain

Ok, I got this : ( I think - I am just guessing, but had to do something)

Here are a mass of photos : I will add text as we go.

At every step, I recommend u take pictures of what u are changing. And write down in a secure place, everything u change.

So, when u get a VPS from Bet Angel, it comes with a default setting as Administrator.

This is apparently pretty unsecure, so we are gonna create a new account name, with Admin privaledges, and rename the existing Administrator to something esle, in this case Freddy the Fox

DONT delete the administrator account, or you will lose all your settings and probably cause a mountain of grief.

In Pic 1, u can see 2 accounts : PokerStars which I created as a test, and the Administrator.

Click User Accounts
user accounts 1.jpg

To create a new account, u click add a user account.
Add a user 2.jpg
I will name the new account 'Secure Username' and enter your password, which windows requires u to be pretty secure
Add a user 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by megarain on Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:54 am, edited 9 times in total.
megarain

secure user name 4.jpg
change user name privaledges 5.jpg
So now we have a new user account, called 'Secure Username' but it has local privaledges. We need to change them to Admin privaledges.

So we click on the account, and select change account type.
make changes to username privaledges 6.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by megarain on Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:15 am, edited 4 times in total.
megarain

We now change the account type from standard (local account) to Administrator

At this point, we have 2 ways to access the computer. So, u might want to reboot, before we change the Administrator name, and make sure
its working.

When u are asked for the username, enter 'Secure Username' and password.

If it doesn't work, u have done something wrong, but the old Administrator settings will still be there.
change user name to administrator privaledges 7.jpg
make changes to admin 8.jpg
Once u have checked u can access with the new account (Secure Unername), we want to change the original Administrator account name to Freddy the Fox.

The local security policies can be found by entering local security in the seach box.

Cant add picture as limited to 3 pics per post. - the picture is called security policy 10 - will have to add at end.
Last edited by megarain on Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:27 am, edited 8 times in total.
megarain

Once u are on the local security policies, look for security options and rename the Administrator name to Freddy The Fox.

security options 12.jpg
After this reboot, and try log in with the Secure Username u have created. If not, Freddy the Fox should still work.
rename admin 13.jpg
rename admin as freddy 14.jpg

Its possible stuff should be done to the account privileges, but we have something to work with
Last edited by megarain on Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
megarain

admin name changed to freddy 15.jpg
megarain

Search box at bottom left of computer screen.
local security policy 10.jpg
megarain

If u create a new log-in account, it will be a clean slate, with just Bet Angel.

Your existing settings are saved in the account you have renamed from Administrator.
megarain

One side effect of this :

When you first u get your VPS, it seems to come with 2 accounts :

Administrator

Guest.

Each Guest account has Bet Angel installed.

I never understood they are completely separate desktops. I now understand u can create multiple guest accounts, and run a different Bot on each
account, without fear of it impacting refresh .. at least that's what I am assuming.

This is pretty clever - wish someone had told me 5 yrs ago.
Vovsen

Very grateful for this, thanks a ton megarain!

I will try your tip with multiple guest users - sounds overpowered :o
megarain

Just be careful u don't get lost.

I think only the main account that was Administrator has a control panel.
Leeds1919

I'm somehow signed into windows with a microsoft account. I think its because of my Ms Office subscription.
ShaunWhite

megarain wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:26 pm
, and run a different Bot on each
account, without fear of it impacting refresh .. at least that's what I am assuming.
No matter how the logins are configured you're still only running on the one machine. The more it's doing the more chance it has of slowing down. A vps isn't much different from a user perspective to your desktop. You're just hiring the amount of memory, number of CPUs and disk space you need.

Return to “General discussion”