Broadband speed

A place to discuss anything.
TheRiddler

I've been having a bit of bother with my broadband of late. I was previously enjoying a download speed of between 1.5mb to 2.5mb which was fine especially for in running.
However of late the numbers are nowhere near as high. This weekend I have received speeds between 150kbps to a high of 350kbps. My mobile speed was well ahead although I chose not to use it because I was already at my download limit.
Obviously my in running has been thrown out the window. My pre-race trading has not suffered as I just adapted to what was put in front of me.
I thought I'd bring this up to show newbies that you can still profit even when things conspire against you. Adapting as quick as possible to the situation in hand is your best tool when trading, not your broadband speed, betfair server delays, etc.
Keep your mind on the job, your balls surpressed, and go get those blood suckers.
And yes I will be sorting out my broadband speed in the future because I adore those in-running leeches.

One more thing, don't forget to trade more than one exchange just incase you've forgotten.

May all good things blow your way.
jamesthetrader

Just wondered what sort of speeds are you guys using? on speedtest.net i get around 5 Mbps and ping 45!!
Just wanted to see how this compares with what you guys get and do i need faster??

cheers
jimrobo

Mines a bit overkill though
TheRiddler

With speeds like that you should be a billionaire by now.
jimrobo

it helps having a decent connection I think but it depends what sort of trader you are as to how important it is.
TheRiddler

I know jimrobo, I wasn't being serious.
Mike_IG

LOL, well my internet maxed out can download at 170kbps beat that, seriously though I manage fine with that although faster would be nice (if only to play COD on the 360 with a better connection when I'm winding down for the day)
TheRiddler

Mike_IG wrote:LOL, well my internet maxed out can download at 170kbps beat that, seriously though I manage fine with that although faster would be nice (if only to play COD on the 360 with a better connection when I'm winding down for the day)

Have you tried mobile broadband, I would have thought you'd be better off, but then again it sounds like your extremely remote. Nice to have contact with someone from Pluto though.
PeterLe

Hi
WHich is the most important figure in the speedtest test??
The download, upload or ping??
I have a slower download (6.1mb/Sec) and slower upload (0.37mb/sec)...but faster ping time of 44ms
Would there be much of an advantage to upgrading it to the 50mb Vigin package??
Would welcome any views/advice
Thanks
Peter
bugrit

I only pay for slowest virgin broadband but that gives me good ping times, which is whats important for response times from betfair.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TraderGray

Just to add to the list really, but this is good for me on a Saturday PM. My boy is on XBOX live atm :roll: , though I didn't think this makes a massive difference.
2009-05.09-Pic001.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kanaga

hai,
I found the site for checking my boradband speed.It's useful for me.
Trading Post

This is my speedtest.
I'm on VirginMedia 20mb (Fibre Optic)

BT advertise upto 20mb in my area but when I checked my phone line on their website, I can only get upto 6mb.
I'm within half a mile of the exchange as well.
Advertising upto 20mb but only be able to get 6mb or lower is a bit misleading don't you think!

TheRiddler

Trading Post wrote:This is my speedtest.
I'm on VirginMedia 20mb (Fibre Optic)

BT advertise upto 20mb in my area but when I checked my phone line on their website, I can only get upto 6mb.
I'm within half a mile of the exchange as well.
Advertising upto 20mb but only be able to get 6mb or lower is a bit misleading don't you think!

Well that's what we can expect living in the uk. Many millions are going to be misled in the next few weeks too when it comes to the ballot box. What I'd like to know (because I don't vote), is there an box to tick when inside the voting booth for a vote of no confidence in all political parties!

Poor quality whether it be public services or private companies, everything in the uk is run on a shoe-string. Eg. waited 30 mins to talk to customer services of tesco direct only to be told the item I ordered was at the wrong depot. They offered a 18% reduction due to their incompetence which I did not accept until they made an offer of 36% which I accepted. 18 % 36% doesn't matter because they'll never receive another order from me.

Return to “General discussion”