2015 UK General Election

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
LeTiss

I know I am early, but the liquidity on recent by-elections + the outstanding Scottish Independence vote shows Political markets are great trading fodder.

I am drawn to the 'most seats' market

This of course does not mean an overall majority, but simply most seats won

Conservatives 307
Labour 258
Lib Dems 57
Greens 1
Others 27

It's interesting to note Labour are trading at below Evens to win most seats. I think that's a good lay, as Miliband is an absolute knob. Already the vultures within his own party are circling, and last night he got torn to pieces by a bird from Hear'Say

It goes without saying that UKIP are changing the picture, but the nearer it gets and people start to realise Ed Miliband could be Prime Minister......the more attractive that lay of 1.95 looks
Euler

I've been keeping an eye on it, but that's all at the moment. Usually can provide some good opportunities.
Iron

LeTiss 4pm wrote: Miliband is an absolute knob.
I love this picture! :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Euler

I enjoy reading this blog on the politics side of things: -

http://www.politicalbetting.com/
Euler

Lord Ashcroft tweet this evening: -

Released tomorrow polling in Doncaster North showing UKIP 2nd so if Tories tactically vote for UKIP Miliband loses
LeTiss

That would be truly hilarious :lol:

Any historians here?

When was the last time a party leader (with genuine ambitions of becoming PM) actually lost their own seat at a General Election?
BJGardner

LeTiss 4pm wrote:When was the last time a party leader (with genuine ambitions of becoming PM) actually lost their own seat at a General Election?
John Howard, Australia 2007, went into election as Pm and lost his seat to a journalist. :lol:
Groovyelms

LeTiss 4pm wrote:I know I am early, but the liquidity on recent by-elections + the outstanding Scottish Independence vote shows Political markets are great trading fodder.

I am drawn to the 'most seats' market

This of course does not mean an overall majority, but simply most seats won

Conservatives 307
Labour 258
Lib Dems 57
Greens 1
Others 27

It's interesting to note Labour are trading at below Evens to win most seats. I think that's a good lay, as Miliband is an absolute knob. Already the vultures within his own party are circling, and last night he got torn to pieces by a bird from Hear'Say

It goes without saying that UKIP are changing the picture, but the nearer it gets and people start to realise Ed Miliband could be Prime Minister......the more attractive that lay of 1.95 looks
Interesting that today's market has labour at a lay of 1.9 I might join you on this position as I too think Milliband will not be PM or in fact the leader of labour at the election in May, I really hope that Ed Balls gets the job as i like him even less than Milliband.
I love the mansion tax idea lets alienate the guys that make the money... put up income tax etc etc bound to be a sure fire vote winner, what fun now the campaign really starts to hot up in the new year..
groovy ;)
Euler

Interesting question time last night

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30441293

My big fear is that the electorate is missing the point. The (world) economy is still in a perilous place propped up by cheap money and yet the biggest debating point seems to be immigration?

Parties should be campaigning on how aggressively they are going to sort out the economic problems and start raising interest rates back to normal levels, but that appears to be a sideshow.
LeTiss

That's almost expected though Peter, especially in difficult economic times. Immigration creates a nationalistic atmosphere which overshadows subjects that are just as important, but alas don't inspire the same levels of passionate debate
BJGardner

Parties should be campaigning on how aggressively they are going to sort out the economic problems and start raising interest rates back to normal levels, but that appears to be a sideshow.

Its wierd how parties will panda to the grey vote (who I assume a greater proportion of have paid off their mortgage and have some investment income or money put aside in an account somewhere) on lots of things, but promising higher interest rates is seen as political suicide.
Euler

After the dreadful scenes in France it looks like immigration will be a hot topic for sure in the election. I think people are completely fed up with this sort of stuff now.

Only parties with very hard lines will gain votes at the election.
Euler

Serious challenge to UKIP developing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-30819779
Euler

Betfair have done a nice job on the General election page: -

http://www.betfairpredicts.com/?mpch=ads
Euler

Labour drifted a bit on Ed's performance on tonight's debate.

Return to “Political betting & arguing”