Apple Inc : APPL

Long, short, Bitcoin, forex - Plenty of alternate market disuccsion.
gazuty

Good explanation in this video for Apple success.

http://www.ted.com/talks/simon_sinek_ho ... ire_action
andyfuller

Cheers for the link. Interesting watch. I recommend you read Steve Jobs if you haven't though it is a big one at ~600 pages:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steve-Jobs-Excl ... 34914043X/
andyfuller

So the Apple Watch, not the iWatch is being launched today.

What are people's views on it? I still can't see the appeal of such devices. Listening to Wake up to money this morning the guest's arguments for why you need one were utterly unconvincing, she described basically everything you can do with your phone already.

I do not see the watch replacing the phone and as such I don't see it as being a success.

There is a lot of talk about the fitness things you can do with it but I think the fitness monitoring stuff is also a fad and has little real benefit.

All in all I am far from convinced that the Apple Watch will do for the watch what the iPhone did for the mobile market.

I look forward to being wrong!
Euler

Depends if it includes health related features perhaps?

Could replace a GPS watch and do all that other stuff. I've yet to be convinced, but I do love gadgets.
steven1976

I got the Samsung gear 2 when it came out and can say that it was rubbish. Became even more rubbish when I cracked my screen on my note 2, as half the apps sync with that. I bought it mainly to try the fitness apps but it didnt seem accurate and seemed to keep stopping at will.

I'll not be going for another watch option in the near future.
andyfuller

Euler wrote:Depends if it includes health related features perhaps?

Could replace a GPS watch and do all that other stuff. I've yet to be convinced, but I do love gadgets.
What kind of fitness/health features would you be interested in seeing Peter?

My view with the fitness/health stuff is that you use it to begin with and collect data but then what do you do with it. At first it is interesting to see but I find you soon become uninterested in it as other than track/monitor there isn't really anything you can do with it and the tracking and monitoring becomes pointless.

There are a few cases where people do continue to use the information, things like Strava have really taken off but still I find people becoming bored with it.

I use a GPS running watch to track my runs but that is because I am training with a target in mind and pace and distance is important. If I am doing a general run I don't tend to bother with the watch as I would sooner not see how fast I am running as the point is just to go for a run at whatever pace I feel like.

I don't see the watch being of a huge use in making near field payments, is it really such a chore to get your phone out? Likewise with checking email and texts, but in cases such as these I think the larger screen is of more importance and the larger phone has really taken off recently.

I await with interest what they announce....
steven1976

It could be used as a motivator to some fatties Andy to do exercise if they were able to keep a reasonably accurate account of the amount of exercise and calories they had burnt during a day. That was the main reason I got mine but it was always going to sleep (phone not me), and I gave up. A watch would be always with you where a phone may not.

I have mates who use fit bit (I think the name is) and they love it. They now walk to the pub instead of taking motorbike taxis and do generally a lot more walking, which I suppose has got to be a good use if it works well for the general public?
PeterLe

I love watches; but I would never get excited about buying one of those? It looks a bit tacky to me? :? It certainly isn't something you would want to pass down to your son?

I use MapmyWalk on my iphone (just done 3 miles!)..it works perfect and even emails you the results every month...and its free! :D
steven1976

showing your age with passing down watches Peter! :roll:
PeterLe

Sure is! Time waits for no man!
Euler

Just on the phone ordering my $10k solid gold watch
andyfuller

Likewise - I thought I would get in early as I don't really want to wait for the new model that will be coming out in 12 months. Think I will just buy another when that comes out, and the same again 12 months after that.

I thought they were introducing the iPhone but had just renamed it Apple Watch!

18 hour battery life - I guess it gives you a new excuse for being late to a meeting/work - I forgot to charge my watch last night.
andyfuller

IG are launching an Apple Watch trading app - what could go wrong ;)

It's all about the flashy flashy of the markets - more trades = more commission for them. Wonder if Warren Buffet is going to use it :lol:

How to trade on your wrist with the IG Apple Watch app

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYdFNO8dsIY

The IG Apple Watch app: the most personal trading experience yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umkUYg9q7Ek

Any one else think the Apple watch in general is a solution trying to find a problem?
andyfuller

Did you ever buy an Apple watch Peter, or anyone else for that matter?

I still don't see it catching on, trying to find a solution to a problem that doesn't exist imo.

Doubts remain over prospects of Apple Watch

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/f328df7c-2e04 ... z3gPkqohC5
Euler

andyfuller wrote:Did you ever buy an Apple watch Peter, or anyone else for that matter?
I did, but I wanted a sports watch and other related items so a cheap sports watch was a good choice for me as I was committed to buying something anyway.

Some nice features on it, but it's still a very niche product. Not sure how it would work with mainstream users.

The OS refresh should expand its capabilities I guess. It's really useful for keeping an eye on things and doing other stuff without getting your phone or iPad out. Subtle tech.

Return to “Trading Financial markets”