Appears simple but is devilishly difficult.

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
Dallas

All comes down to the individual moment there is no right or wrong, if swing trading and you belive the price is about to go and go for some ticks then take the price at least your on and worst case if your wrong you will lose just one extra tick if it goes against you and you have to close out.

A way to view it is regardless if you take or offer a price and it goes against you you will of been matched and worst case 1 extra tick out of pocket - If it shoots off as you thought by holding out asking for 1 extra tick you could miss several ticks profit as it goes.
Lammtarra

Yeah that's pretty much what I suspected and I suppose it was a bit daft of me expecting a right or wrong, black or white kind of answer, trading isn't that simple. I had assumed that it depends on the market and individual circumstances but didn't actually know, now I do. Thanks Dallas.
Lammtarra

Another day down, no major problems to report.

I must remember to keep it tight.....I know I might miss some profit opportunities along the way but I sure as hell am going to miss the big losses as well.

There were a couple of times yesterday that could have led to a wipeout. Starts off as a small red, then a bigger red, then in-play, then BANG, lost. I didn't get out at the first chance (maybe I should have) but I had a marker or a stop loss where I would have got out with no questions or doubts. As it happened I lost about £2 which believe it or not is proprtionately too high bearing in mind I'm trying to win 1% of circa £130. I stayed calm and continued and ended up winning that back plus another £2 so not a bad day considering.
Dallas

You might want to view this video from another thread it highlights the importance of keeping losses to a minimum and under control

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5z3_XwqK3s
Lammtarra

Thanks for that Dallas, that's the beauty of coming on here I might get a "golden nugget" like that to watch/learn from.

It's amazing how something so basic, I have frequently overlooked. Pretty much in the same way that I have this flawed logic that something can't keep happening. If I let a trade go in-play and lose and do it again 9 times, I become more and more certain that the 10th will bail me out.

Such a flawed, stupid logic but I have to fight it and remind myself that I'm being a tit.

I will go into todays trades with a tighter more disciplined approach to losses after watching that.
marksmeets302

Lammtarra, I think you will benefit from going to a tony robbins event. You'll go in there with the wish to never let your bets go in play again. When you walk out it will basically be impossible for you to let that happen again.

People often laugh about these things (I admit it looks funny from the outside) but the things you do and learn there are amazingly powerful. I believe Robbins still comes to London every year with his UPW event.
gutuami

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from poor judgment
Lammtarra

Won virtually nothing yesterday but didn't lose.

So, so difficult for me this is. I know I'm not alone and this is all part of learning to become profitable but even yesterday dealing in such small amounts, I could feel my temperature increasing and red mist falling at certain points during the day.

I never went in-play and I never lost on the day so that's a positive.
Kai

It becomes much easier to deal with mentally once you develop strong methods and start ending every day in profit no matter what. Until that happens the variance in results can drive a person insane, not many can objectively manage their money and manage risk on a daily basis.

The good news is that you don't really need to fully master your psychology, very few top traders actually do, it is often enough to obtain enough skill and knowledge and then it becomes much easier to iron out any remaining mental issues. Hope that makes sense.
Dallas

One of the first steps to becoming succesful is simply not to lose, if you trade for 3 months and have nt lost anything then thats a hugh positive and your on the right track - only when losses can be controlled will the profits eventually follow.

Ps going to send you a PM
Lammtarra

Thanks Kai. I always have this lingering self doubt and it hinders me so I see what you mean about the difference of having a strong strategy and how it affects my actions.

Thanks Dallas for your wise words, I'd be just as well pinning that to my monitor because I should remind myself over and over again.
I got my pm thanks and I'm on with it......
marko236

Keep working away hard fella and maybe one day your new post will be called Appears hard but is devilishly easy :)
andyfuller

Keep in mind that everyone will lose, it is part of trading. Try to view it as a probability game. You will never be 100% correct all of the time.

If you read and watch people like Peter, he is a glass half full kind of person and not a glass half empty guy. This change in attitude will help you in all walks of life.
marksmeets302

glass full seems to have more benefits:

http://www.attn.com/stories/2587/what-n ... your-brain
Lammtarra

Thanks gents,

I've been down at my parents over the weekend watching the Saints game (get in) :lol: because I'm too tight to pay for sky sports.....

I've not been on here since Saturday.

I wish I could change the title Marko because it is a stupid title, I can only put it down to a "moment of madness" when I originally posted it ;)

Positive thinking is important but sometimes not natural and therefor requires effort :lol: although saying that, on Saturday I won 0.68 ALL DAY and that was my best day trading so far because........... there were 3 seperate incidents where I was chasing the price out and kept missing it and I was getting seriously F****** ANGRY. This would have been a text book "F*** it, I'll take whatever price and hope for the best" which in turn would probably have led to a "F*** it, I'll let it go in play and hope for the best" and when that went tits up, that would have lead to a "F*** it, I'll transfer another £100 but won't do it again" (until the next time)

On Saturday I got the race off my screen, went onto another and just left it for a while because I was going to do something stupid, except this time, I didn't. I felt better afterwards because I know I could have lost my bank but for once, showed restraint and made the right choice.

So my bank from £129.30 is now £141.11.

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”