General discussion : BOOKIE BASHING

A place to discuss anything.
User avatar
BetScalper
Posts: 770
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:47 pm

Thu May 17, 2018 3:44 pm

PDC wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 2:15 pm
Sounds a real nightmare! Though I would class that as a special case as the marker would have been put on due to the police arrest rather than having anything to do with you trading under normal circumstances.

Glad to hear it all got cleared up for you. You can put your own notice of correction on your file if there is an issue with it prior to the issue being resolved/removed. May have been something you should have done at the time as that has to be taken account of when applying for credit.
My solicitor tried to get it removed and put a notice of correction on my file, however, Experian and the other big 2 refused until the Police/HMRC had finished their investigations.

It ended up being a pin ball bouncing back between Police, HMRC, Experian, My Solicitor for over 2 years. I even went to court to get my file fixed but my case was dismissed due to the nature of the alleged offences.

They all dragged their feet over it. And yes, I went for compensation too after everything was sorted out but lost that too.

Yes, a real NIGHTMARE. :x

User avatar
BetScalper
Posts: 770
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:47 pm

Thu May 17, 2018 10:24 pm

Don't know how true it is.

But on the news they just said the government will introduce checks to on-line gambling for affordability and betting limits.

It didn't say but I presume they mean forcing the on-line companies to check peoples credit files.

That could potential mean fewer customers for the betting/gaming industry.

Nanny state ?

User avatar
wearthefoxhat
Posts: 228
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:55 am

Fri May 18, 2018 12:47 pm

BetScalper wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:24 pm
Don't know how true it is.

But on the news they just said the government will introduce checks to on-line gambling for affordability and betting limits.

It didn't say but I presume they mean forcing the on-line companies to check peoples credit files.

That could potential mean fewer customers for the betting/gaming industry.

Nanny state ?
It's given the govt a chance to do an overall view on gambling, specifically the problems gambling can cause. As per usual, the tendency is to go slightly overboard and assume controls more than needed. However, gaming online ie: Casinos, should be looked at for sure, I bet some of the algo's the sites use are super shady.

Derek27
Posts: 2563
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:44 am
Location: UK

Fri May 18, 2018 1:05 pm

wearthefoxhat wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 12:47 pm
I bet some of the algo's the sites use are super shady.
I can't see how a casino could get away with that as the numbers and transactions are independently audited. If the casino was winning significantly more than the laws of probability suggests it would set alarm bells ringing and it's a guaranteed success for the casino anyway so there's no point in taking any risk.

User avatar
LeTiss
Posts: 4206
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 6:04 pm

Fri May 18, 2018 1:12 pm

I don't see how the government or betting companies could do credit file checks on punters.

I suspect many problem gamblers would have a clean file, and I suspect many who missed a credit card repayment 12 months ago, are responsible gamblers.

That's a minefield that wouldn't solve any issues at all

User avatar
BetScalper
Posts: 770
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:47 pm

Fri May 18, 2018 1:15 pm

Derek27 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:05 pm
wearthefoxhat wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 12:47 pm
I bet some of the algo's the sites use are super shady.
I can't see how a casino could get away with that as the numbers and transactions are independently audited. If the casino was winning significantly more than the laws of probability suggests it would set alarm bells ringing and it's a guaranteed success for the casino anyway so there's no point in taking any risk.
From personal experience, I am not suggesting the casinos do anything dodgy but Bot/Player collusion in on-line poker is seeing new heights. There are teams of players with unconnected IP addresses running software to block the casinos spyware to catch them communicating via third party apps at the tables. I remember watching a CH4 documentary on it.

I remember playing in an on-line tournament and managed to get to the final table from 7,200 players. 4 of the 9 players left were upto something for sure as the time they took to take action was near the same and their betting patterns looked like it was the same player/Bot playing.

Not complaining because I didn't win but the final 2 in the headsup were from the original suspect 4.

Derek27
Posts: 2563
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:44 am
Location: UK

Fri May 18, 2018 1:16 pm

LeTiss wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:12 pm
I don't see how the government or betting companies could do credit file checks on punters.

I suspect many problem gamblers would have a clean file, and I suspect many who missed a credit card repayment 12 months ago, are responsible gamblers.

That's a minefield that wouldn't solve any issues at all
Does anyone in Government have the brains to realise that ?

User avatar
BetScalper
Posts: 770
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:47 pm

Fri May 18, 2018 1:18 pm

LeTiss wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:12 pm
I don't see how the government or betting companies could do credit file checks on punters.

I suspect many problem gamblers would have a clean file, and I suspect many who missed a credit card repayment 12 months ago, are responsible gamblers.

That's a minefield that wouldn't solve any issues at all
Its like anything a government tries todo. Many will get caught in the middle and unable to open on-line accounts with average credit scores.

I guess if someone tries to place a £500 bet then it will get flagged to check into their financial status ????

User avatar
BetScalper
Posts: 770
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:47 pm

Fri May 18, 2018 1:21 pm

Derek27 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:16 pm
LeTiss wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:12 pm
I don't see how the government or betting companies could do credit file checks on punters.

I suspect many problem gamblers would have a clean file, and I suspect many who missed a credit card repayment 12 months ago, are responsible gamblers.

That's a minefield that wouldn't solve any issues at all
Does anyone in Government have the brains to realise that ?
They won't though, they will link up with Experian and let them decide who can/cannot open on-line accounts. The government already uses them allot for FSA stuff.

User avatar
wearthefoxhat
Posts: 228
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:55 am

Sat May 19, 2018 4:35 pm

BetScalper wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:15 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:05 pm
wearthefoxhat wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 12:47 pm
I bet some of the algo's the sites use are super shady.
I can't see how a casino could get away with that as the numbers and transactions are independently audited. If the casino was winning significantly more than the laws of probability suggests it would set alarm bells ringing and it's a guaranteed success for the casino anyway so there's no point in taking any risk.
From personal experience, I am not suggesting the casinos do anything dodgy but Bot/Player collusion in on-line poker is seeing new heights. There are teams of players with unconnected IP addresses running software to block the casinos spyware to catch them communicating via third party apps at the tables. I remember watching a CH4 documentary on it.

I remember playing in an on-line tournament and managed to get to the final table from 7,200 players. 4 of the 9 players left were upto something for sure as the time they took to take action was near the same and their betting patterns looked like it was the same player/Bot playing.

Not complaining because I didn't win but the final 2 in the headsup were from the original suspect 4.
A fairly famous online poker player bought into someone else's account at a final table, knowing the identity of 2 of the other players and colluding between hands. First prize was in the 100,000's so worth the effort, got caught, somehow...it was the tip of the iceberg.

Also an ex world champion was a super user of a site and knew all the hole cards of the big cash game players. Won millions, until it was proven by some of the other players that the amount of hands he won was mathematically impossible. = to winning the lottery 4 times in a row.

Anyone on line with guarded access to the software can manipulate it. A small % swing would make all the difference.

Post Reply

Return to “General discussion”

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Kafkaesque and 1 guest