Trading Financial markets : Investing

Long, short, Bitcoin, forex - Plenty of alternate market disuccsion.
Euler

Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:58 am

I have a dollar account with a US broker so I can trade / invest natively in the US.

I started investing during the maggie privatisation era and morphed from an early stab at TA to a long-term investor. You have to marvel at the returns you get by being completely apathetic. If you do your work up front and buy into fairly solid companies at a good price you generally do OK over time. If you exhibit some skill at identifying good opportunities you can really put on a decent return.

As a test, I took out a tracker when I first started and have left it to compound. It's miles behind my own portfolio now on the basis that I have almost zero frictional costs and I can elect not to buy what look like poor investments.

marksmeets302

Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:26 pm

I have a dollar account with a US broker so I can trade / invest natively in the US.
Unfortunately, no. Since a couple of months your broker will block you from trading the ETFs. The problem is as Nero Tulip describes, but it goes a bit further. The european commission has decided that all ETFs should comply with the PRIIPS regulation. Most notably this means there should be documents (called KID) for the ETFs, and these should be available in your own language. No big deal, but... PRIIPS also requires that in that document there is a section with optimistic, realistic and pessimistic returns. In the US, it is forbidden to include those numbers in the prospectus of an ETF. And there's the rub: you can't have two different sets of documentation identifying the same ETF.

I've been on a crusade against this idiotic regulation. Called the regulator, two lobby groups, a member of parliament and reached out to the european commission. Nothing happened. With any luck the regulation will be evaluated later this year.

But... I did learn that you can be exempt from this regulation if you qualify as a professional investor, and that's what I did. Ask your broker for the requirements. The 'professional' only refers to your level of expertise, it has nothing to do with the 'professional' in market data. In other words, the fees for market data and transactions are unchanged.

Or wait for brexit to happen if you live in the UK.

Euler

Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:38 pm

I'm unaffected by this legislation it seems.

LinusP

Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:03 pm

Euler wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:58 am

I started investing during the maggie privatisation era and morphed from an early stab at TA to a long-term investor. You have to marvel at the returns you get by being completely apathetic. If you do your work up front and buy into fairly solid companies at a good price you generally do OK over time. If you exhibit some skill at identifying good opportunities you can really put on a decent return.

As a test, I took out a tracker when I first started and have left it to compound. It's miles behind my own portfolio now on the basis that I have almost zero frictional costs and I can elect not to buy what look like poor investments.
Any advice to go with that?

DeepWire9

Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:17 am

I advise you to study the behavior of the main investors in this market (Buffett, Timur Artemev, Richard Dennis) These whales are influence the market. Also pay attention to the fundamental analysis and international news. Ideally find a mentor

Return to “Trading Financial markets”

• Information