Trading Horse racing : Past performance on chart

The sport of kings.
evertonian

Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:18 pm

How much emphasis do full time horse racing traders place on what has happened previously on the Betfair chart?

If a horse has been drifting previously, do you tend to follow this trend or wait for a reversal? Or are there too many variables to answer this, i.e depends on what other horses are doing etc?

From my experience, it is better / more profitable to join a trend whether its steaming or drifting rather than wait for a reversal? Do others agree/ disagree?

Dallas

Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:02 pm

I use the BF chart as a quick overview when I first arrive at a market, but once the real money comes tend to discount all activity prior to that.

I take most of my information from what I see on the ladder screens and use the charts as a confirmation.

Its always best to join a trend at the start but for that, you have to foresee it, but if its already in mid-flow when you spot it there's nothing wrong with joining it providing all the signs are pointing to it continuing.
If you can't see enough evidence of that then wait and try and catch a reversal

ShaunWhite

Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:40 pm

Dallas wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:02 pm
If its already in mid-flow when you spot it...
Knowing it's 'mid-flow' is the tricky bit. As is knowing when it's starting, or ending.

As for the original question, the older the info the less relevant it is. The right hand edge of a chart is always more informative than the left hand edge. And as Dallas says, if you want to know what's happening now then the ladder has far more info than the right edge of any chart.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”

• Information