Bet Angel - Automation : What's a decent Profit / Turnover figure on a strategy?

Advanced automation available in Guardian - Chat with others and share files here.
eightbo

Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:52 pm

I am doing P&L ÷ (Matched Bets * Stake)

Not sure if this is how I'm meant to do it or not but 2x £2 Lays @ 4.5 & 1x £2 Back @ 6.6 is totalling £6 "Turnover" (3 * £2)
So if we imagine my P&L was +£0.30 across those 3 bets I'm arriving at 5% for Profit ÷ Turnover.

(I've used stake here for simplicity's sake, in the real calculation, I am using total matched to account for partial matches)

...Is this calculation a useful indicator of performance?
...If you use this calculation, what % do you consider to be 'good'?

I have so far only found this old thread from PeterLe which states 3%

ShaunWhite

Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:00 am

There's only one number that matters, the one you type into the withdrawal amount box.

But tbf there's so many ways to trade that even pl/liability turned over is only really a measure of what you do, so how you calculate it is up to you so long as it's consistent. If you must put a figure on it then anything approaching 4% should be seen as a temporary. Opinions will vary, that's just a finger in the wind number.

Arguably a lower RoI could be due to trading 'better'. Scratching a lot of trades will increase your turnover without necessarily changing your profit and therefore reduce your RoI, whereas riding out the reds back into scratch will reduce your turnover and therefore make your RoI look better. Not a great example but turnover is irrelevant when you cash up at the end of the month.

eightbo

Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:39 am

Makes a lot of sense and some things I'd not thought of. I'll compare performance locally over time to this particular strategy then.

weemac

Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:42 am

Turnover is vanity; profit is sanity.

ANGELS15

Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:08 pm

weemac wrote:
And money in the bank is reality!

Kai

Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:59 am

weemac wrote:
Very true, that's a great saying. Turnover often sounds far more impressive than it actually is.

liero1

Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:17 pm

eightbo wrote:

Not sure if this is how I'm meant to do it or not but 2x £2 Lays @ 4.5 & 1x £2 Back @ 6.6 is totalling £6 "Turnover" (3 * £2)
So if we imagine my P&L was +£0.30 across those 3 bets I'm arriving at 5% for Profit ÷ Turnover.

(I've used stake here for simplicity's sake, in the real calculation, I am using total matched to account for partial matches)

Just make sure to use liability (for lay staking) to calculate your ROI, doesn't make sense on stake for lays.

spreadbetting

Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:22 pm

liero1 wrote:

Just make sure to use liability (for lay staking) to calculate your ROI, doesn't make sense on stake for lays.
I'd have thought simply using your opening bet's exposure is the best guide for any ROI figure but it'd be such a pain separately out if you layed or backed first. When I've calculated in the past using both exposures,lay +back, I think i was in the low single figures. These days I take a more relaxed view to my trading and really only keep an eye on the withdrawals, my take per market has definitely decreased but been offset by ramping up the number of markets I play for various reasons.

LinusP

Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:43 pm

liero1 wrote:
eightbo wrote:

I don't understand why you would use your exposure as a measure of turnover, makes comparing roi of strategies that back/lay only impossible. Profit over size staked/settled is what I have always used.

Derek27

Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:55 pm

It all depends on how you interpret the word 'investment' in ROI. Taken literally, your maximum liability was the investment, but the amount you actually risked losing would be a more meaningful benchmark, and that's hard to quantify because it depends on how stable or volatile and how liquid the market is.

Return to “Bet Angel - Automation”

• Information