Betfair Locked my Account down Mid-Trade

A place to discuss anything.
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:16 am
Derek27 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:12 pm
It's not the fact that they make mistakes but the sheer number of them.
I just ran a query and presently they're managing 1,771 events with 16,392 seperate markets (286 types) in 65 countries. You need a more reasonable expectation of what's acheivable in terms of accuracy or you're going to give yourself a heart attack.
They're not managing those markets, they're failing to manage them. A chef wouldn't get away with serving cold food because they're too many people dining. You'd expect him to hire enough staff or reduce the number of tables.
BFDon

Might not be the issue here but a few times when using other software this happened to me. After 12 or 24 hours of being logged in (I can't recall but presume it was 24 as often do >12 hour stints) it spammed a load of new login attempts so BF locked me out
Kai

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:03 am
ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:16 am
Derek27 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:12 pm
It's not the fact that they make mistakes but the sheer number of them.
I just ran a query and presently they're managing 1,771 events with 16,392 seperate markets (286 types) in 65 countries. You need a more reasonable expectation of what's acheivable in terms of accuracy or you're going to give yourself a heart attack.
They're not managing those markets, they're failing to manage them. A chef wouldn't get away with serving cold food because they're too many people dining. You'd expect him to hire enough staff or reduce the number of tables.
Shaun has a valid point there

You can't have it both ways, if you want BF to put up all kinds of obscure football matches for you to trade 24/7 then you need to cut them some slack

I would be in favour of less markets overall but with more concentrated liquidity
Derek27

Kai wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:18 pm
I would be in favour of less markets overall...
So would I, not so much for better liquidity but just markets you can trade!
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
A chef wouldn't get away with serving cold food because they're too many people dining. You'd expect him to hire enough staff or reduce the number of tables.
And the cost of that goes on the bill even if you just want salad. :D

But I'm not sure you're blaming the right people. Betfair match info is supplied by OPTA as far as I know and if that indicates a particular situation then you can't have an army of Betfair staff checking or 2nd guessing it. It will just trigger a default action such as 'suspend'. There certainly isn't a Betfair person sat there entering 'dangerous attack" for the match popout or holding a panic button. So hiring more people to do what exactly? Replace OPTA or Runningball? It's too big and complex not to use data services and have an army of "monkeys" instead.

I think these mythical monkeys are gods you've created to explain what you don't understand? What do you think the process is? Señor Sánchez in the stands on 100 peso/hour holding a nacho in one hand and your fate in the other?
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:24 am
Derek27 wrote:
A chef wouldn't get away with serving cold food because they're too many people dining. You'd expect him to hire enough staff or reduce the number of tables.
And the cost of that goes on the bill even if you just want salad. :D

But I'm not sure you're blaming the right people. Betfair match info is supplied by OPTA as far as I know and if that indicates a particular situation then you can't have an army of Betfair staff checking or 2nd guessing it. It will just trigger a default action such as 'suspend'. There certainly isn't a Betfair person sat there entering 'dangerous attack" for the match popout or holding a panic button. So hiring more people to do what exactly? Replace OPTA or Runningball? It's too big and complex not to use data services and have an army of "monkeys" instead.

I think these mythical monkeys are gods you've created to explain what you don't understand? What do you think the process is? Señor Sánchez in the stands on 100 peso/hour holding a nacho in one hand and your fate in the other?
:lol: :lol:

So what sort of matches actually have somebody sent to the match with an electronic device? There was a link posted on here somewhere where somebody told of their experience in the job.
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:01 am
So what sort of matches actually have somebody sent to the match with an electronic device? There was a link posted on here somewhere where somebody told of their experience in the job.
Presumably ones not covered by the big data providers?

But I've no idea, I don't even trade football. But I have seen conversations about where the popup footy data comes from, how to access the scores as shown on their site etc and it's all driven by the sports data providers, ditto all the info for every race/game on their site. It's 2023 why wouldn't they. But they'd also expose us to massive risk if they did it by themselves, much safer to use the industry standard feeds surely rather than the world knowing there'd been a goal while Snr Sanchez was at the loo.

I won't agrue with you about it needing to be as good as possible but If I traded footy, I'd be quite interested in finding out what games were covered by what methods? And what type of event (game and local technical comms issues etc) actually trigger suspensions. Knowledge is an edge and I'd just want to know what I might expect. Have you spoke to them about it for guidance about what matches have different proceedures? Do you find specific leagues or regions worse than others? Surely there's got to be some way to mitigate your risk ?
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:22 am
Derek27 wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:01 am
Presumably ones not covered by the big data providers?

But I've no idea, I don't even trade football. But I have seen conversations about where the popup footy data comes from, how to access the scores as shown on their site etc and it's all driven by the sports data providers, ditto all the info for every race/game on their site. It's 2023 why wouldn't they. But they'd also expose us to massive risk if they did it by themselves, much safer to use the industry standard feeds surely rather than the world knowing there'd been a goal while Snr Sanchez was at the loo.

I won't agrue with you about it needing to be as good as possible but If I traded footy, I'd be quite interested in finding out what games were covered by what methods? And what type of event (game and local technical comms issues etc) actually trigger suspensions. Knowledge is an edge and I'd just want to know what I might expect. Have you spoke to them about it for guidance about what matches have different proceedures? Do you find specific leagues or regions worse than others? Surely there's got to be some way to mitigate your risk ?
I try to avoid speaking to Betfair but if we don't know it's unlikely their chat agents would know. The obscure markets are the ones when the legendary suspend monkey sometimes goes home and leaves the market suspended, but even in the top leagues, the market can sometimes be suspended for five minutes.
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:37 am
I try to avoid speaking to Betfair but if we don't know it's unlikely their chat agents would know.
I wouldn't bother with chat agents, esp as a fulltimer. They wouldn't even have a reason to know.

I don't especially relish that side of things, but especially these days you don't want get a restriction or check (by mistake) and when you get in touch they just say who the fck are you. Invent some sort of question to talk about twice a year and they remember who you are. If you get beyond the std customer chat they're all really nice helpful guys, I once asked why they helped me because I earn them very little relatively and they just said that eveyone could be big customer someday so they treat everyone the same.

But you won't get that with a chat agent, they're for punters not a B2B client like you.

Return to “General discussion”