UK General Election 2024 (or 25)

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
Archangel

Bring back Boris campaign
Derek27

The Rwanda bill that failed: genuine asylum seekers get sent to Rwanda and unsuccessful asylum seekers get sent back to the UK. :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Silk Run

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:30 pm
The Rwanda bill that failed: genuine asylum seekers get sent to Rwanda and unsuccessful asylum seekers get sent back to the UK. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm keeping out of this !!! The way things are going right now I to may be on vacation in Rwanda next year :lol:

Is Gambling allowed in that country :o
greenmark

The Rwanda idea is a new twist on globalisation. It used to be moving in building manufacturing faciities to be run with cheap labour.
Now we're going to shunt people we don't want to some country that needs our money,
Pretty cynical stuff to put so much energy into.
I'm ashamed TBH.
Derek27

Derek27

The subject moves back to Partygate today. :D
Derek27

Sunak holding an emergency press conference at 11am - clashes with the buffoon's evidence.

Word on the street is that letters are going into the 1922 committee. They would have to be bonkers to get rid of him now. He's the best prime minister we've had for several months. :)
Derek27

Sunak effectively scrapping the court's involvement in immigration. I think his government could be taken to court over that. :mrgreen:
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:07 am
Sunak effectively scrapping the court's involvement in immigration. I think his government could be taken to court over that. :mrgreen:
Parliamentary sovereignty means that Parliament is the supreme legal authority in the UK. This means that: Parliament can create or get rid of any law. the courts cannot overrule Parliament.
sionascaig

Archery1969 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:18 am

Parliamentary sovereignty means that Parliament is the supreme legal authority in the UK. This means that: Parliament can create or get rid of any law. the courts cannot overrule Parliament.
Yup, but they can overrule the government when it acts illegally in relation to UK law and international treaties that it has signed up to.
Archery1969

sionascaig wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:22 am
Archery1969 wrote:

Yup, but they can overrule the government when it acts illegally in relation to UK law and international treaties that it has signed up to.
They can intervene if the Government breaks the law but not if Parliament agrees to create new, edit or scrap existing laws.
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Derek27 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:07 am
Not so simple. Changing the law is extremely complex in itself, especially when it's done in a desperate hurry. That can result in contradictions and regulations created in ultra vires of primary legislation, which only the Supreme Court can rectify.

The real danger here is that if they can scrap any appeal against deportation, they could just as easily scrap appeals against wrongful convictions, demolishing your house, parking fines, etc.

Only 29 Conservative MPs need to rebel, and with the divisions in the present government they barely have a majority to get anything done. :)
Derek27

An earlier witness told us you have some difficulty with graphs ,,, don't worry I'm going to actually point out the points I want to raise. :lol: :lol:
greenmark

Yesterday and today BJ has clearly been close to tears at one point and has struggled to compose himself.
Today when one of his answers involved his personal experience of covid. I'd like to think this was due to empathy. But it may just as well be the memory of the frightening, life-threatening experience he had. But perhaps also his pre-infection attitude is tweaking his conscience?
Being in a ward with "people like me, some that will make it, some that won't" clearly rattled him.
Archery1969

If I was a betting man then I would start shorting the £. 🤔

Return to “Political betting & arguing”