Happy Easter Everyone!

A place to discuss anything.
Crazyskier

Best wishes to one and all.

CS
Archery1969

And to you.
Euler

It's official chocolate for breakfast time.

Hope you are all enjoying the easter 'break'
ShaunWhite

Euler wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:18 pm
It's official chocolate for breakfast time
I thought we could only start the celebration chocs on Sunday? :shock: On Saturday it was still 1-0 to the Romans, and physio was busy with the magic sponge. That's no time for chocolate ;)
greenmark

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:41 pm
Euler wrote:
I thought we could only start the celebration chocs on Sunday? :shock: On Saturday it was still 1-0 to the Romans, and physio was busy with the magic sponge. That's no time for chocolate ;)
I haven't a clue what you're on about. But I suspect that's a result of my ignorance.

All I'll say is I'm agnostic so Easter kind of goes over my head, but I recognise for a lot of folks it's very symbolic.
In that spirit. Happy Easter to those people.
ShaunWhite

greenmark wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:58 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
I haven't a clue what you're on about. But I suspect that's a result of my ignorance.

All I'll say is I'm agnostic so Easter kind of goes over my head, but I recognise for a lot of folks it's very symbolic.
In that spirit. Happy Easter to those people.
When I was a kid we had to save ours until the end of Lent, Easter Sunday, symbolising the resurection blah blah blah. Good Friday was the crucifiction, by the Romans. No idea what happened on Saturday. It was just a lighthearted sports/easter reference for the CS's. Personally I'm an atheist but I'll swing along with any days off or chocolate the religions do.
Emmson

As a child at Easter we were taken to church on the Thursday, twice on Good Friday (morning stations of c ross, afternoon the longest church service of the year) then back again on Sunday. 4 times in 4 days. Did this do me any good? absolutely not it created a backlash in my head against organized religion.

I was also observing people who were regular church attendees being very nasty people indeed, not godly in their lives in any way, possibly even evil and yet they are attending church regularly, what is going on here I thought?

Anyways

Happy Easter

all
Galilee66

My first encounter with religion was marvellous in my 5 year old eyes. In 1948 I attended a celebration in the church hall (Anglican) for the 60th anniversary of the hall. We children were served icecream and jelly and then cakes followed by a short talk from some cleric. During the talk he referred a number of times to various feasts. I remember thinking "This religion is a very strong lurk; icecream, jelly and cakes; and the promise of more feasts to come " (If that was the sort of phrase I used at 5 years old. ) What I didn't realize was all the baggage of religious wars bigotry, inter sect hatred and the recently revealed sexual abuse that religion carried over a long history. It is also somewhat ironic that the festival we know as Easter derives from a pagan festival of fertility and the welcoming of Spring - see the link to estrogen! I have not subscribed to any religion for many years but respect the right of anyone to practice any religion they wish to pursue. Easter to me provided a 4 day break from work (I am now retired) but nothing more. After all that I hope everyone has a happy (and if that is your persuasion) holy Easter.

Galilee66
Euler

ShaunWhite wrote:
Euler wrote:
I still save mine till Sunday, but I had no idea why.
Crazyskier

Euler wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:45 am
ShaunWhite wrote:
Euler wrote:
We also save the eggs until the Sunday - my understanding of the tradition is that it is symbolic of the stone being rolled away from the Tomb after Jesus was resurrected.

CS
Derek27

Crazyskier wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:29 pm
Euler wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:45 am
ShaunWhite wrote:

We also save the eggs until the Sunday - my understanding of the tradition is that it is symbolic of the stone being rolled away from the Tomb after Jesus was resurrected.

CS
Arsenal is pleased he was resurrected. :)
sionascaig

Crazyskier wrote:

CS
"One of the most well-known pagan festivals associated with Easter is the festival of Eostre, which was celebrated by the Anglo-Saxons in England. Eostre was a goddess of spring and fertility, and her festival was a time of feasting, dancing, and egg-rolling"

The church has a tradition of appropriating pagan rituals... xmas being the other main one along with marriage...
Crazyskier

sionascaig wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:36 pm
Crazyskier wrote:

CS
"One of the most well-known pagan festivals associated with Easter is the festival of Eostre, which was celebrated by the Anglo-Saxons in England. Eostre was a goddess of spring and fertility, and her festival was a time of feasting, dancing, and egg-rolling"

The church has a tradition of appropriating pagan rituals... xmas being the other main one along with marriage...
Indeed. The intention was to unite all celebrants and rituals, which given that the entire modern West is founded upon the teachings of Christ, including all of our laws, calendar and public holidays, I'd say it was a master stroke of marketing! 😀

CS
sionascaig

You might find the calendar pre-dates Christianity. Current one was based on Julius Caesar's efforts - there is a clue in the months July & August.

And you are doing a very big disservice to the Ancient Greek & Romans. Is there a single piece of christian philosophy not already covered by those pagans. No need to look it up, the answer is no. Always found it a bit weird that the bible contains no "new" great revelations from that point of view.

A masterstroke in fooling folk for sure. More fool us...

They also spent a long time killing millions that didn't believe the same nonsense as them (even each other). Not really a great model for "uniting" folks.

Anyhow best of luck with your delusions.
ShaunWhite

Crazyskier wrote:

You're the expert but I thought it was a (re)birth reference? If they wanted to symbolise the stone then we should be having Easter scotch eggs ;) mmmm now there's a thought. I've seen cheese eggs this year but a giant scotch egg would be great.

Return to “General discussion”