Is pre race horce trading slowly dying out ?

The sport of kings.
Snopyman

I am writing this as a big fan of horse racing, especially pre-race trading.

Is even possible these days to trade with 100-200 EUR stakes,it is very difficult for me..

Example:
In addition to desperate liquidity, you entered with a stake of 200 eur and when you turned around you are 40-50 eur in the red and you don't have time to leave, is this just happening to me :?: :?:

I know many people will say that I miss the entry by a few ticks, but really, even when it goes in my direction, it's faster momentum spikes that I barely manage to get out with any green...
when it goes in my direction, let's say I take 4-7 ticks of green, but when it leaves against me, I can't get out because the price is moving rapidly and when I blinked I was already 8-9 ticks down...

So I just don't have +EV...

I probably don't have experience yet or it's something else, but you'll have to agree that it's much harder than before, now the liquidity is desperate, fillrate does not exist, only momentum spikes which are a consequence of automation..

I'm starting to question whether it's possible to scale the stakes and accumulate profits at all, looking at all the circumstances mentioned, or it's simply not worth investing more time and effort on this.. :|

Cheers to all ! :D
Emmson

Yes is the answer to the question you posed, though during last 2 years the pace of the decline is quickening. Just as well Cricket is my number 1 sport to trade.
Euler

The big meetings and races are holding up well, but the minor stuff is getting poorer.

I tend to make more of my money on bigger races, so it's not as big an impact on me.

Also, non UK racing is steady or gaining, so if you look at the broader picture there are several ways to cut your cloth.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
arbitrage16

It's also September, and as the codes change things can be a little more iffy in the markets

My advice would be to just spend some time watching the markets - it's amazing what you can learn without the pressure of having money in the market.

With horses, in-play is increasingly where the opportunities lie, in my opinion.

And don't worry about some of the responses in this thread - always a bitter, failed horse racing trader wanting to stick the knife in :lol:
Snopyman

arbitrage16 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:27 pm
It's also September, and as the codes change things can be a little more iffy in the markets

My advice would be to just spend some time watching the markets - it's amazing what you can learn without the pressure of having money in the market.

With horses, in-play is increasingly where the opportunities lie, in my opinion.

And don't worry about some of the responses in this thread - always a bitter, failed horse racing trader wanting to stick the knife in :lol:
Thanks for the answer, I also came to the conclusion that I will have to switch 100% to inplay, unfortunately, but that way there are more opportunities simply, prerace is almost dead..

Fillrate on cricket is amazing, just need to learn rules.. :D
111222.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Emmson

arbitrage16 wrote:

You are the most odious member left on this forum since James left, in fact you are worse than James and you have no idea whatsoever of where I stand on my nags trading. No idea whatsoever so go and boil your head. Not one word of my above post is inaccurate.
weemac

Does cricket have a long and arduous learning curve? A lot of the nuances seem unfathomable to me.
arbitrage16

Emmson wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:34 pm
arbitrage16 wrote:

You are the most odious member left on this forum since James left, in fact you are worse than James and you have no idea whatsoever of where I stand on my nags trading. No idea whatsoever so go and boil your head. Not one word of my above post is inaccurate.
"Just as well Cricket is my number 1 sport to trade."

Just responding to your awful smugness, neither helpful nor productive. Simply you giving it the big un and trying to raise yourself out of the gutter you no doubt exist in.
Euler

Snopyman wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:33 pm
arbitrage16 wrote:

Thanks for the answer, I also came to the conclusion that I will have to switch 100% to inplay, unfortunately, but that way there are more opportunities simply, prerace is almost dead..

Fillrate on cricket is amazing, just need to learn rules.. :D

111222.png
Pre-race isn't dead at all. Some markets are weak for the factors laid out above.

InPlay always feels easier as you can pick off winning trades really easily, but getting an edge is much harder. InPlay is about 20-25% of a pre-off market, it's smaller.

Say you do a lay to back of something at 6, you are going win a minimum of 83% of the time by default.But without seeking some sort of an edge, you wouldn't make any money doing that.
Emmson

What a mentally unstable troll arbitrage is, I will make use of that forum feature that means I will never see any more of his drivel.
arbitrage16

Emmson wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:08 pm
What a mentally unstable troll arbitrage is, I will make use of that forum feature that means I will never see any more of his drivel.
I'm devastated.

I note you didn't respond to what I said, given you were being accurately called out for your horrible ego.
Euler

Maybe we can help the OP instead of trading barbs?
Derek27

Emmson wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:05 pm
Yes is the answer to the question you posed, though during last 2 years the pace of the decline is quickening. Just as well Cricket is my number 1 sport to trade.
If it's any comfort, I struggle to see anything wrong or smug in that post. :)

Return to “Trading Horse racing”