Declining Horse Racing Volumes

The sport of kings.
Bobajob

jamesedwards wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:21 pm
Football is chock-full of experts. Horse racing is in decline, and saturated with expert knowledge and multiple technological edges. You'll likely very quickly get steamrollered in either of these.

Cricket is a little more niche and one of the few sports in Betfair that is growing exponentially.

I would focus on cricket if I were you.

Good luck!
"Horse racing is in decline" ???
Bangor 14:45 today - Total Volume £413K
Bangor 15:40 today - Total Volume £386K - In Play £115k
ShaunWhite

Bobajob wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:10 pm
jamesedwards wrote:
Horse racing is in decline
Yep

UK Pre-race
Screenshot_6.jpg
UK In-running
Screenshot_8.jpg
Australia
Screenshot_9.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bobajob

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:00 pm
Tiesto13 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:56 pm
In terms of trading, I’m looking at the following areas:
It's all equally hard so consider the lifestyle you'll end up with. Do you want you want to sit at a desk every day, evening or night, do you mind scheduling your life around sporting events, do you want to watch sport on tv all day, do you want to work as and when you please and automate your way to a passive income? Trading is a novelty at first but after a few years that wears off big time, so what life do you want?

(my personal choice cane down to : I don't like sport much, I don't want to be tied to the clock or calendar, I had a tech background. So for me I treat it as an IT job and I only run automation)
Nope - compared to the last 12 months - Bangor today £413K
Dallas

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:48 pm
Bobajob wrote:
jamesedwards wrote:
Yep

UK Pre-raceScreenshot_6.jpg

UK In-runningScreenshot_8.jpg

Australia
Screenshot_9.jpg
It's becoming so depressing festivals aside I've stopped bothering with it manually race to race in the early half of the week,
I now just have it on in the background waiting for alerts to jump on the odd trade
Bobajob

Dallas wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:10 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
Bobajob wrote:

Yep

Australia
Screenshot_9.jpg
It's becoming so depressing festivals aside I've stopped bothering with it manually race to race in the early half of the week,
I now just have it on in the background waiting for alerts to jump on the odd trade
Volume is there certainly at Bangor today - are you saying your 'edge' has gone?
Derek27

Dallas wrote:
ShaunWhite wrote:
Bobajob wrote:

Yep

Australia
Screenshot_9.jpg
I'm glad I've switched to football but I'm still shocked to hear seasoned racing traders feeling it's not worth the bother. It used to be the key sport on Betfair.
Dallas

Bobajob wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:19 pm
Dallas wrote:
ShaunWhite wrote:

Yep

Australia
Screenshot_9.jpg
Volume is there certainly at Bangor today - are you saying your 'edge' has gone?
No, just no longer worth my time to sit there all afternoon

You can't take and one race in isolation, you need to look at the average month on month over the year and Shaun's chart show they are still falling year on year - the only positive is the decline is at least slowing down

It was only a few years ago even the worst months of the year had averages of cira £500K a race

BTW I've moved these posts regarding racing traded volumes to a separate thread so as not to derail that thread for the OP
Bobajob

Dallas wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:44 pm
Bobajob wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:19 pm
Dallas wrote:

No, just no longer worth my time to sit there all afternoon

You can't take and one race in isolation, you need to look at the average month on month over the year and Shaun's chart show they are still falling year on year - the only positive is the decline is at least slowing down

It was only a few years ago even the worst months of the year had averages of cira £500K a race

BTW I've moved these posts regarding racing traded volumes to a separate thread so as not to derail that thread for the OP
That's good - I'll keep an eye on them going forward 8-)
weemac

Factoring in inflation to YoY declining volumes makes the decline even more stark. I noticed one race today in the UK had £45k or so matched 1 minute before off time. Empirically it's felt like gradual terminal decline over the last few years.
Bobajob

weemac wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:30 pm
Factoring in inflation to YoY declining volumes makes the decline even more stark. I noticed one race today in the UK had £45k or so matched 1 minute before off time. Empirically it's felt like gradual terminal decline over the last few years.
That was probably Navan 16:25 Total Vol £99k, Pre-Race £68k, In-Play £31k
Plenty Volume there to make a good profit pre-race and in-play - doesn't matter if they are declining
Stop being -ve and 'make hay while the sun shines'

"There's gold in them thar hills" (Mark Twain ) ;)
Charliechee

ShaunWhite wrote:
Bobajob wrote:
jamesedwards wrote:
Yep

Australia
Screenshot_9.jpg
Hey Shaun you have a graph for AUS "in play" same timeline?
jimibt

Bobajob wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:16 pm
weemac wrote:
Plenty Volume there to make a good profit pre-race and in-play - doesn't matter if they are declining

sadly this was the pattern i was seeing going back a few years. i was a BF/BA/API advocate, but there came a point for me (in 2020-2021 during the pandemic) when i kinda saw the writing on the wall (in terms of what i was doing). I had been focussed on horse racing and dogs and the scaling back of those events just ended it for me. I can't say for sure, but potentially that period in time ended up forcing many active participants into new areas of interest (think forex/crypto etc). Couple that with BF's lack of apparent interest in the exchange and the GC pending report and you can see how a perfect storm has been brewing.

hoping that the gold in them thar hills sees the sales of shovels take off big time again.... keep diggin ;)
Bobajob

jimibt wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:08 am
Bobajob wrote:
weemac wrote:

sadly this was the pattern i was seeing going back a few years. i was a BF/BA/API advocate, but there came a point for me (in 2020-2021 during the pandemic) when i kinda saw the writing on the wall (in terms of what i was doing). I had been focussed on horse racing and dogs and the scaling back of those events just ended it for me. I can't say for sure, but potentially that period in time ended up forcing many active participants into new areas of interest (think forex/crypto etc). Couple that with BF's lack of apparent interest in the exchange and the GC pending report and you can see how a perfect storm has been brewing.

hoping that the gold in them thar hills sees the sales of shovels take off big time again.... keep diggin ;)
Forget Crypto - it's tanked
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sam- ... -bd90l2t2s
The surge is in Sports Betting - that's where all the sales of shovels are. ;)
jimibt

Bobajob wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:50 am
jimibt wrote:
Bobajob wrote:

Forget Crypto - it's tanked
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sam- ... -bd90l2t2s
The surge is in Sports Betting - that's where all the sales of shovels are. ;)
tbh -i was actually referring to that point in time (2020-21). I'd honestly love to see a surge in sports betting again and definitely would welcome some supporting stats similar to shaun's.
Kai

jimibt wrote:
(think forex/crypto etc)
You involved in any of those Jimbo?

Return to “Trading Horse racing”