Power Query - Football Results Downloader

paspuggie48

I was intrigued to see if I could use Power Query to download the historical data from files for all UK & European Football Results (11 countries)

And I can :D 8-)

This is the same process I used to get the BF Data Downloader to work from embedded files on a website without having to download the files.

Some of you will be familiar with the website in question and there is a hyperlink to their Glossary 'LINK TO NOTES'.

EuropeanFootball.png

I used the data going back to 2015 but I don't see why it wouldn't do more. To do this add another line in the Links worksheet into the Files Table. It is self explanatory how the URL is structured.

* The caveat is I have only tested it for specific column headers of newer files, should the older files not contain certain columns then the query may not work.

Football Results Downloader.xlsx

I wasn't able to download the file with all the 64,309 results as it was too big to attach, so I have removed most of the rows of data to accommodate.

To update, simply right click anywhere in the green Table and select "Refresh".

It should take around 30 seconds to get the full 64,000+ results (as per my screenshot above)

Periodically when the website updates it's embedded worksheets repeat the refresh process on this tool.

Good luck !!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MemphisFlash

nice work again

OIP.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
paspuggie48

Updated with the weekend results just fine :D ;) :D

EuropeanFootballUpdate.png
wearthefoxhat

Thanks for posting, updates work fine.
firlandsfarm

paspuggie, that's brilliant, thanks a million but could I ask for a small addition! Could you include a filename column in the list so that the Season can be extracted and used for analysis (the rearranged Covid matches means I cannot use my usual >01/07/YY and <30/06/YY+1). I have tried to jiggle with your PQ but cannot see how to do it (I'm disaster at creating/editing a PQ :( )
paspuggie48

wearthefoxhat wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:50 am
Thanks for posting, updates work fine.
Spotty dog ! (or even a Fox) ;)
paspuggie48

firlandsfarm wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:19 am
paspuggie, that's brilliant, thanks a million but could I ask for a small addition! Could you include a filename column in the list so that the Season can be extracted and used for analysis (the rearranged Covid matches means I cannot use my usual >01/07/YY and <30/06/YY+1). I have tried to jiggle with your PQ but cannot see how to do it (I'm disaster at creating/editing a PQ :( )
Try this :?:

paspuggie48

MemphisFlash wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:52 pm
nice work again
OIP.jpg
Data Ninja !! :D
Euler

We are not worthy
paspuggie48

Euler wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:08 pm
We are not worthy
Shucks, I'm blushing
Rich1950

Hi paspuggie48

Abso;utely FanDabaDosie

Only thing I cannot find is the Predicted Goals Column :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Brilliant

Cheers for you brilliant work

Rich1950
paspuggie48

Rich1950 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:20 pm

Only thing I cannot find is the Predicted Goals Column :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
If it did it would look something like this Rich1950 8-)

ExpectedGoals.png
Rich1950

Hi paspuggie48,

Now you are just teasing me cos I cant find that file :D :D :D :D :D

You are such a tease :) :)

Seriously though brilliant work and you can see the time and effort you have put in.

I will need to start on my own Expected Goals and add them in

Rich1950
firlandsfarm

paspuggie48 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:22 pm
firlandsfarm wrote:

Hey PP, works a real treat, thanks a million ... I have posted the new version here with all the links back to 1993/4 entered to save others typing them in if they want to go back that far. :)
Football Results Downloader (2).xlsx
paspuggie48

firlandsfarm wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:16 pm
paspuggie48 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:22 pm
firlandsfarm wrote:

Hey PP, works a real treat, thanks a million ... I have posted the new version here with all the links back to 1993/4 entered to save others typing them in if they want to go back that far. :)

Football Results Downloader (2).xlsx
thumb emoji.png

Return to “Excel Power Query”