QE3?

Long, short, Bitcoin, forex - Plenty of alternate market disuccsion.
Iron

Bank and Treasury look to boost bank lending - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18448636
superfrank

yep. "we're gonna roll up our sleeves" - George Osbourne, i.e. and get to work printing more money to lend to banks at less than the rate of inflation (to make sure they're Ok whatever happens to the rest of us).

it's all about propping up the housing market (as the govt. spokesman on Newsnight just said more or less) yet again - Britain still has a property bubble that is yet to burst, but burst it will sooner or later.
mulberryhawk

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171778_267649.pdf

inflation down to 2.8%

looks like mervyn King was right to cite "temporary factors" which were causing inflation to remain elevated.

erily quiet on this thread of late, wonder why.
Iron

mulberryhawk wrote: looks like mervyn King was right to cite "temporary factors" which were causing inflation to remain elevated.
By that logic, I take it you'll be conceding that he may have been wrong if inflation is up again next month? :)

Jeff
mulberryhawk

As a keen trend follower jeff im sure i dont need to point out to you the direction of this particular trend ;)
Iron

And as someone so erudite, I'm sure I don't need to point out to you that trend following doesn't make predictions! ;)

BTW, what is your answer to my question? Yes, no or maybe? :)

Jeff
mulberryhawk wrote:As a keen trend follower jeff im sure i dont need to point out to you the direction of this particular trend ;)
mulberryhawk

BTW, if you want to email Mr King to tell him what a great job he's doing, his email address is apparently [email protected].
Im sure merv will be delighted to hear from you jeff :)

As regards trend following I seem to remember someone saying they wouldent touch us bonds with a "barge pole" last september.....thats a trend I would have like to caught :oops:
Iron

Don't know who said that. It wasn't me, and it probably wasn't a trend follower... :)

BTW, do I take it that there would be little point me asking my question for a third time, given that you have evaded it twice already? ;)

Jeff
mulberryhawk

[quote="Ferru123"]That makes sense, although personally I wouldn't touch US bonds with a bargepole right now!

You have a short memory Jeff, or is that a selective one ;)

Im not evading the question, maybe inflation will continue to drop maybe it will rise a bit. I dont pretend to be that smart that I can out think central bankers.

The point is that the inflation in the UK is not being driven by an overheating economy. Its due to high international energy and food prices which are out of his control.
Iron

The view through the rear view mirror is always pretty...

I don't regret not making unsound bets just because the bet would have been successful. ;)

Jeff
superfrank

mulberryhawk wrote:The point is that the inflation in the UK is not being driven by an overheating economy. Its due to high international energy and food prices which are out of his control.
nope, it's due to currency debauchment via QE.

i've written to Merv in the past (and asked him to resign a couple of times!) and always get a reply but it's a waste of time - he does what his masters tell him to do. i don't think he's a bad bloke really (secretly he knows the score), but, like electricity, he always chooses that path of least resistance.
mulberryhawk

superfrank wrote: nope, it's due to currency debauchment via QE.
would that be the currency debauchment that has seen sterling gain nearly 10% on the euro in the last six months ?
Iron

Mulberryhawk - Why do you feel the need to adopt a sarcastic tone? Do you feel it enhances the forum? :)

Jeff
mulberryhawk

Apologies if my tone is sarcastic, its not intentional.

Also I think your good self has adopted a sarcastic tone is pouring scorn on mervyn king et al on their handling of the economy so double standards :o .

Hence my posting on this thread in the first place, to push against the one sided nature of the analysis.
Iron

mulberryhawk wrote:Apologies if my tone is sarcastic, its not intentional.
Fair enough - it is easy for things to be lost in translation when posting on internet forums, where there is no body language, intonation, etc. :)

Jeff

Return to “Trading Financial markets”