The Perfect Betfair Swing Trading Opportunity?

Learn sports betting strategies and discuss key factors to consider when placing a bet.
PeterLe

This is without doubt the one of the most volatile and unpredictable form of trading, it seems it what every newbie wants to do. Is this a mistake? If anyone is struggling trying to crack this is it worth taking a step back and maybe trying something else to trade on?

I don't know if this is any use to anyone, but this is my style of trading pre race and a few pointers that I use.

Try to be more selective about which races to trade.I know of many who go from race to race like a loony. You can make a few quid race after race and on the last race lose the whole days earnings and some. Look at trading less races that have a good "shape". If you have the patience (which is the most important and most overlooked aspect of trading IMHO) you can watch 20 races and then trade 1 and win a days wages.
A suggestion for those struggling is maybe find a race where the market thinks it is a 2 horse race. I'll set up a fictitious race.
The prices are 2.02, 2.76, 40, 44, 50+ the rest (another 6 runners).
You will find 2 or 3 races a day like this. You can pretty much forget the rags, although you need to keep and eye out in case 1 moves in significantly. So concentrate at the 2 at the head of the market. There are 2 scenarios here.
1) 1 or more outsiders move in and not a lot happens at the head of the market except a small drift.
2) 1 of the favs moves in which means..............yes that's right! The other moves out. The trick is waiting until that happens then jumping on the gravy train to untold wealth.

Try to get a grasp of how a market works, that is fundamentally the most important thing you need to learn. An efficient market is at 100%, the way this is calculated is by dividing 100/the odds. So a runner trading at 2.0 would be 100/2 =50% of the book. (remember the book adds up to 100) that means the rest of the field will add up to 50%.
If 1 runner is 50% of the book and the other is 36% (100/2,76) that means that 86% of the book is concentrated on 2 runners. They dominate the market and another runner would have to move a huge amount to impact these 2 prices. Which leaves us to concentrate on 2. What you are looking for next is a sign that something is going to happen, like i said it always will. So what are the signs?

Look at the range of prices that the runner has been trading at, if you look at the ladder you will be able to see this. The critical points are the bottom and top (resistance points) When it gets there something will happen, if it "breaks through" then it will almost certainly go much further. If it doesn't then it will "bounce". It rarely just sits at the end of the trading range dormant. What usually influences this is the other horses. Remember what happens to 1 has to effect all the others, the one most likely to be effected is the next shortest price runner (2nd fav in this case)
A good trade would be if the fav has reached the bottom of it's range, which means punters are reluctant to take a lower price that this, and the 2nd fav if near the top end of it's trading range, which means punters are reluctant to LAY a bigger price. If the fav were to hit the bottom and "bounce" the 2nd fav would stream in, this will gather momentum, don't be greedy and don't use a stop loss. It is not unusual for the prices to jump around. It is the medium term trend (swing) you are trying to capture.

With practice, patience and enough matched you can make a living trading 1or 2 races a day.
This is simplistic and there are things that can go wrong. Watch the market and try to understand what the market is doing. See how the movement of 1 runner effects the others and in what proportion. This is KEY. Some use the excellent graphs BA has. For me all I use if the BF market graph within BA with a 10 second refresh, the ladder tab with both horses on, and TELETEXT live shows. Don't over think it, don't over complicate it. It really isn't rocket science, and that's the main issue for most I fear. Take a step back, use low stakes to practice. Trading horses at odds on a 10 tick wrong decision will cost you a fiver (to give it some perspective). Before you make every trade you need to set a point that you will exit, don't set this too tight. A 2 or 3 tick's is no good. But you need an escape route. Letting it go and hoping it will come back or even worse letting it go in play is trading suicide and amateur. Don't do it!

If you spend enough time watching the markets and understanding what's happening you will crack it eventually.

I have talked a fair bit about perspective, and here is something to think about. Good traders will earn more that a doctor does (which is frankly disgusts me), that doctor spent maybe 6 or 7 years learning his trade. It doesn't take that long to learn to trade, but you need to put the hours in for sure. The other thing is that doctor didn't get to operate on a patient after a few days did he? He learnt the procedure and maybe practiced it in the classroom lots and lots of times, until he became so good at it when he did finally have a patient on the operating table in front of him, he had the skill and confidence to do the business.
There are no half measures here. To a certain extent, if you can trade with £50 you can trade with £100 or £1000 (as long as the market is liquid enough) The level of skill is exactly the same, the reason you entered and exited the market should be the same. Once you can effectively trade on 2 runner markets like this and your confidence and experience grows, then more complex markets can be tackled.

The main problem with this is if you have a limited time to trade on your day off from work, sitting there all afternoon and not making any trades is tough, and the discipline that requires is rare to find. But what is better, sitting there and not losing half the wages you have worked so hard for or feeling a bit frustrated but living to fight another day. My priory is not to LOSE and PROTECT my bank at all costs. The rest comes I promise.

Summary:
1) Keep it simple
2) Be patient
3) Have realistic expectations
4) Be patient
5) Understand the market
6) Have a reason to enter the trade and a reason to exit it
7) Have an escape route planned, and stick to it
8) Be patient
and finally........ Be patient

Does this make sense to anyone?

Disclaimer:
I don't have all the answers, the way I trade suites me and my attitude to risk. It works for me but it may not work for you. Take out the bits that make sense and discard the rest. Eventually you will form you own style. There is no "holy grail" and there is no easy road to Betfair nirvana. I wish you all well.
I was reading through a post last night and read this good post which points out that quality rather than quantity is the order of the day. A good swing trade with a large sum can provide an excellent lifestyle.
I have only really ever scalped markets and it begs the question "What makes a good swing trade opportunity"
He talks about "The shape" of a market and I know what he means, when you look through guardian in a morning, do the swing opportunities jump out at you? I know the Barney Curley races often swing and wondered what else influences it?

I thought that it would be a good debate and worthy of its own thread
regards
Peter
Zenyatta

Crystal clear example of what mugsgame was talking about in the 1st at Uttox.. cut and dried, two main favourites, 'Poole Master' big steam, 'Open Hearted' big drift, if only they were all that clear...
mugsgame

Patience....Patience....Patience......

I would rather bet on 1 race and win rather on 20 and lose. :D
rubysglory

PeterLe wrote: I know the Barney Curley races often swing and wondered what else influences it?
My definition of an efficent market is not necesarily that which operates at 100%. Although mathematically true as pointed out by MG, for me the market is only truly efficient at the Off. Lets assume true efficiency that sees a 2.50 chance winning 40 per 100, a 4.00 wins 25 per 100 and so on. At any given point in time prior to the off, the market may still be showing 100% , but the 2.50 chance at the Off may be showing, by example, 2.80 or 2.10 three and four minutes out. Having come from a Handicapping background, I look for such instances where I believe the market has in fact mispriced the true chances of one or a number of chances which in turn will cause the market to swing whilst 'searching' for efficiency at time of Off. I then 'green' or 'red' as appropriate depending on my rate of success in accuratetly pricing the market. This is what I believe happens with Curley's horses - the are being traded according to a more accurate price line, due to any number of reasons.

rg
P1BP27

new to trading and was reading this post..
I understand bottom or top of its range etc..

What other indicators or signals should l look for when entering a swing trade?
DKDaytrader

Predicting swing trades at over 3 ticks is not possible. A market doesnt move 10 ticks at a time, but it moves 1-3 ticks couple of times hitting longer swings.

With that i mean that you can pretty much "predict" the market 1-3 ticks.

What Peter and other traders are so good at, is noticing other people in the market and knowing their positions, combined with the support coming. Peter and other swing traders are great at spotting when the support stops. (when the price gets to low)

How is this learned then? If you ask me, the best way to learn trading is simply just spend hours and hours getting involved in the market. Do this long enough and you will start noticing things.

My biggest swing trade ever has been just around 10 ticks.

I am typically taking 1-6 ticks at a time, never really expect to go further than that, but i am letting my profits run if i see the support is strong.
Even though its "only" 1-6 ticks at a time, i am still trading full time.

Have patience, work very hard!
Alpha322

DKDaytrader wrote:Predicting swing trades at over 3 ticks is not possible. A market doesnt move 10 ticks at a time, but it moves 1-3 ticks couple of times hitting longer swings.

!
Totally dissagree on this a market can move at least 8-10 ticks in one go, even more if you have pictures on and the favourite bolts. I swing trade most of the time its about

Timming
Having a strategy (with an edge that works)
and knowing where to jump off the wave

I find if you go in again after 1 -3 ticks the market wings back on you so i say again its about reading the market and the knowing where to get off. Some swing markets you do have to scalp, am sure Royal Ascot would be one of them
DKDaytrader

Hi Alpha,

Think you misunderstood my post. There is a big difference in "predicting" the price 10 ticks and calculate your way to 10 ticks.

When i trade i calculate where the price "should" be 1-3 ticks around current trading price, and then i trade after that.
Calculating is much said, my "prediction" is based on spotting other traders and using market depth. This way, i can "predict" the market and where the price "should" be. I base my entry points on that.

Most people are scalpers, thats is why we are talking max 3 ticks at a time.

When the price has moved the 1-3 ticks, a new scenario/base is made, from there you can start your calculations again. If you notice the support is still coming and somebody still needs to get out, then simply stay in the market.

So i didnt say 10 ticks is impossible to make, its not, but you cant calculate the price to be 10 ticks wrong. Not possible.
mugsgame

I am sure many of us have had huge swings.

I have been on swings involving 100's of ticks. The nature of a swing (in general) means that you ride it until it runs out of steam. The trick is to know your entry and exit points. This is a skill not a science.

Sometimes you can identify a price that you know to be out of sync. This happens a lot in certain football markets. You take a position and wait for the market correction, when the correction has taken place you exit. This is sometimes more than 10 ticks and it can be calculated.
DKDaytrader

As i said, my way to a swing trade of 10 ticks is based on calculations. When i reached one of my longest swings, it was based on calculations.

I am aware of your status in here, and i am aware of that you know a lot of things around the market, i have been reading this forum for ages now, but yesterday i decided to join. But i dont agree with your latest post.

The only way a 10 tick swing can be calculated, is by splitting it up in 1-3 ticks at a time, and then adding up. To "predict" a swing of 10 ticks straight, is not possible. As long as there is a higher percentage of scalpers than swingtraders, it will never be possible to "predict" 10 ticks straight.

Catching 10 ticks will always be split up in intervals. (Well not always, but as long as there is a higher percentage of scalpers in the market)

Many may not notice this when they trade, but its how the market moves.

Note: We are talking pre-match, pre-race. And, i dont like words as predicting and should.
mugsgame

I don't need to explain or qualify what I have said.
If you don't agree that's fine. I don't profess to know everything about trading and how markets behave.

But you have a very rigid view. I can tell you for sure that I can predict swings of 20-30 ticks very accurately pre match. Just because you do not know how do do it doesn't mean it cannot happen.
Alpha322

DKDaytrader wrote:Hi Alpha,

Think you misunderstood my post. There is a big difference in "predicting" the price 10 ticks and calculate your way to 10 ticks.

When i trade i calculate where the price "should" be 1-3 ticks around current trading price, and then i trade after that.
Calculating is much said, my "prediction" is based on spotting other traders and using market depth. This way, i can "predict" the market and where the price "should" be. I base my entry points on that.

Most people are scalpers, thats is why we are talking max 3 ticks at a time.

When the price has moved the 1-3 ticks, a new scenario/base is made, from there you can start your calculations again. If you notice the support is still coming and somebody still needs to get out, then simply stay in the market.

So i didnt say 10 ticks is impossible to make, its not, but you cant calculate the price to be 10 ticks wrong. Not possible.
Yes now i understand :oops:
Alpha322

mugsgame wrote: I can tell you for sure that I can predict swings of 20-30 ticks very accurately pre match. Just because you do not know how do do it doesn't mean it cannot happen.
Have to agree with MG also because i have also had a 20 tick movements
1 was on a weak favourite
1 was on a Bolter from the stalls (second favourite.
The trouble thou with the bolters is that you may make a nice tidy profit but if they withdraw it you end up with nothing
Euler

Everybody tends to have a slighty different way of looking at things. Sometimes things that seem impossible or counter intuitive can't be seen because people are looking at things in the wrong way. So I'll never dismiss whether something is possible or not. It's good that there are so many views in a market.

I had a maths society contact me once because they couldn't see how something I was doing was possible. After going down to see them and explain why they were looking at things the wrong way, half of them signed up to give trading a try!
DKDaytrader

Thank you all for your answers. I to think its healthy to accept others view of the market.
Euler, i have had a similar experience in my class that i would like to share.

5 years ago i started studying mathematics -economics on the university in Copenhagen. Next to that i took the master degree in math. My plan at that time was to finish the education and work as a stock market trader for banks.

In the meanwhile i started up trading on Betfair. Thinking the stock markets and Betfair were the same. The difference in markets surprised me a lot.
I was learning how to spread my stake on the stock markets by using many different models, to invest my money safely and get between 0.1-1% in return of money invested.

Its not much, so this method needs a lot of money to be profitable. Money that banks have.

I got good at trading Betfair, and decided to show my class this. They had 100 different approaches to the market, but all of them came up with the same answer, Betfair was classified as not profitable.

So i showed them that it was. And they gave me the same answer, this time, that it would hit me in the long end, because the market couldnt be profitable. It couldnt be, recording to the models of integrating with a market that we used.

So i showed them what i had earned last 3 months, and many of them lumped on. Even though they started saying that you couldnt profit from Betfair.

The thing is, that a Betfair market is controled by us. And most of us are scalping, not swing trading. That way, you know that most people are getting out 1-3 ticks. As long as the market is filled with a way higher percentage of scalpers, you will never be able to calculate a price movement of 10 ticks straight. The 10 ticks will always be split up in 1-3 ticks at a time, even though you may not notice this in some trades.

Its just how the market works.

The support for an outcome might be huge. If the second favourite throws off the jockey just before the start and the favourite keeps on steaming way over 10 ticks before the off, this steam is still put up as a max of 3 ticks intervals.

Sorry for my simple english, hope you understand.

Return to “Betfair trading strategies”