Today's Horse Racing

The sport of kings.
jamesedwards

Stalls failed to open and then opened unexpectedly. All riders were trying to pull up within a furlong but many of the horses continued for some distance. Not sure exactly what the rules are but it seems the horses that completed the full race distance by passing the finishing line were all automatically withdrawn. Only three horses didn't pass the finish line and only two of them returned to the start.
Fugazi

Damn, cant find the original replay, just watched the race with the 2 of them.
Lynskey888

Sky Sports News has been showing it just before half-past the hour.
Safeway

Looks like they need to put some oil on the stalls! I escaped lightly retaining small profit over the meeting

Rules are rules but what happened here is so extreme that (really) no bets placed on the two that finally officially ran should have been carried over, deduction or not. This race really should have been voided.....? That's my feeling if it were possible?
Fugazi

Safeway wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:12 am
Looks like they need to put some oil on the stalls! I escaped lightly retaining small profit over the meeting

Rules are rules but what happened here is so extreme that (really) no bets placed on the two that finally officially ran should have been carried over, deduction or not. This race really should have been voided.....? That's my feeling if it were possible?
How would you feel about them suddenly deciding to break the rules if it meant you lost £500k?
Michael5482

Fugazi wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:07 am
Safeway wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:12 am

How would you feel about them suddenly deciding to break the rules if it meant you lost £500k?
The rules allow the outcome to be whatever the stewards decide it to be. The Dash at Epsom which should of been voided but massive turnover race betting wise so result stood despite a number of horses being at a big dis-advanatge from the off, a tin pot 7 furlong at Wolverhampton on a Monday night they choose to re-run it with two horses.

Granted these issues happen but it's a lack of consitency that needs addressing, I agree with Safeway the race should of been voided. Any issues with stalls void the race IMO no if buts or maybe's then there's no grey area going forward.
Safeway

Fugazi - they wouldn’t have been breaking rules if they had voided the race. Nobody would have lost £500k. It would have been no winners no losers which is the best outcome when there’s a complete b*lls up.
I can’t see any rationale for the decision made by the stewards. If I were the owner of the two horses to go out again, I would feel pretty stupid. They should have withdrawn them and put it all down to experience.
Let’s not forget that money (small!) was being put down on those two to run a 7 furlong race not a 1m 6f race which is what they ran. What responsible trainer/owner would prepare their horse for a 7f race by going flat out for 7 furlongs minutes before. It makes a mockery of the science of racing and everything else.
As Michael says, this is a ‘tin pot’ race and I hardly lost anything in it but it’s so annoying when the power to decide is vested in complete imbeciles.
Fugazi

Safeway wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:35 pm
Fugazi - they wouldn’t have been breaking rules if they had voided the race. Nobody would have lost £500k. It would have been no winners no losers which is the best outcome when there’s a complete b*lls up.
I can’t see any rationale for the decision made by the stewards. If I were the owner of the two horses to go out again, I would feel pretty stupid. They should have withdrawn them and put it all down to experience.
Let’s not forget that money (small!) was being put down on those two to run a 7 furlong race not a 1m 6f race which is what they ran. What responsible trainer/owner would prepare their horse for a 7f race by going flat out for 7 furlongs minutes before. It makes a mockery of the science of racing and everything else.
As Michael says, this is a ‘tin pot’ race and I hardly lost anything in it but it’s so annoying when the power to decide is vested in complete imbeciles.
Tin pot race, but what I meant is setting the standard for all races.

It will always be contentious. What if just one stall was broke ?

What if 2 stalls opened slightly slower than the rest?

There will always need to be some degree of subjective decision making. Look at var in football - by trying to improve consistency and remove human error, it made things worse. You cant eradicate subjective decisions.
elofan0

never seen one of these before 7f hcap chase must a been misprint :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Naffman

Does BF not fancy re-opening the 15.30 Aintree?
Euler

elofan0 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:47 pm
never seen one of these before 7f hcap chase must a been misprint :)
Race was called 'Storm chaser' something so somebody grabbed the wrong end of the stick there!
Euler

Aintree trading well today.

Bob ollinger almost got it in the stewards. Many think he should have.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
elofan0

I did Bob olinger without fav for safer bet
Hepburn

Euler wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:11 pm
Aintree trading well today.

Bob ollinger almost got it in the stewards. Many think he should have.
Is that your £12 traded at 1000 there? :idea:
CloseBets

Anyone have details of the liquidity for Aintree has it dropped this year? Markets seem very sparse but the overall amounts matched seem reasonable, dunno if most is being matched at the backend with cross matching but doesn't seem to be hitting the market. Was looking at this 13:45 and getting on for a million matched but boxes 1 only ever had around a hundred or so in them.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”