Greyhound handicapping

We've gone to the dogs.
Iron

With horse racing, there is a wealth of literature and statistics to help you assess form. But with greyhounds, there is very little indeed, either on the Internet or in print. So if I wanted to know how much significance to attach to (say) the fact that a greyhound has gone up in class or its pedigree, where would I go?

Thanks

Jeff
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

I am more worried about whether the price is going up or down, know very little about the actual dogs themselves.
Iron

I've tried trading the dogs, but found that market volatility, combined with a lack of liquidity, made it a non-starter. Has anyone else had any success with greyhounds?

Jeff
psycho

Hi

Yup - I've had the odd bit of success hither and thither.

Psycho :twisted:
psycho

Ferru123

You could try www.thedogs.co.uk

Psycho :twisted:
Predicton

Hi Jeff,

I'm with Psycho here. The dogs are remarkably honest and seem to run to their true current potential consistently. Of course there are always, getting to the first corner first and bumping etc. to upset the calculations, but in general the timings of the previous races, which are available on each card, give a good idea of potential of each in the race,

cheers, P
Iron

Hi Prediction

I hear what you're saying, but I think the challenge is still to know how much weight to put on factors other than the timings of the previous races, such as:

Whether the dog appears to be improving
The dog's pedigree
The type of track the previous timings were gained on (some tracks have more bends than others)
Whether the dog was bumped in its previous race(s)
The dog's previous sectional timings and positions at each bend
Whether the dog has gone up or down in class

With horse racing, there are countless statistics you can use to answer such questions, but that isn't the case with greyhounds.

Regards

Jeff
Predicton wrote:Hi Jeff,

I'm with Psycho here. The dogs are remarkably honest and seem to run to their true current potential consistently. Of course there are always, getting to the first corner first and bumping etc. to upset the calculations, but in general the timings of the previous races, which are available on each card, give a good idea of potential of each in the race,

cheers, P
SJD

I'm the reverse, I can read greyhound form cards easily, horses on the other hand I have no idea where to start.

Online for greyhound race cards the Racing Post site has good form details and for BAGS cards they have a comment against each dog and a 1-2-3 forecast, all you need really, from memory I think the only thing the racing post doesn't print is the weight of the dog for each race.

Return to “Trading Greyhound racing”