In play markets

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
chazmccheese

I have recently set up a little in-play bot which does work mainly .

However i thought i maybe able to improve my model

so yesterday i set the computer to update every 200ms and put my ipad on slow motion recording.

i managed to pick up 1 particular horse go from 100 to 1.07 and out to 1000 in the space of 4 seconds and the horse that won went from 28 to 1.12 in 1 second !!!!

the path of the in-play bot is most definatly a dangerous path!!

Now all i need to do is get a bot quick enough to make the most of this instability
cmuddle

you can get Bet Angel to work at 20ms speed,

just go to settings and change the connection to streaming and then adjust the speed in guardian and on the main screen if you are using it. But you need to have good internet connection.
CallumPerry

Even with this speed of 20m/s though, BF only receive orders up to 200m/s don't they? I may be talking out my arse here but I'm sure I've seen something about this before?? On top of this, isn't there a 1 second delay in play? So getting out of a trade swinging that drastically would be near impossible. I don't do in-play at all so a bit of confirmation with what I just typed would be appreciated.
ShaunWhite

Cancellations don't have the 1s delay. Not sure where the 200ms comes from. Are you talking about the min time between submitting a bet and confirmation from BF?
LinusP

CallumPerry wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:21 pm
Even with this speed of 20m/s though, BF only receive orders up to 200m/s don't they? I may be talking out my arse here but I'm sure I've seen something about this before?? On top of this, isn't there a 1 second delay in play? So getting out of a trade swinging that drastically would be near impossible. I don't do in-play at all so a bit of confirmation with what I just typed would be appreciated.
The 200ms order/processing limitation hasn’t been a thing for years (if it ever was), orders are processed as quick as Betfair can process them. And it is possible but there is some competition and it’s not easy.
ShaunWhite

LinusP wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:49 pm
The 200ms order/processing limitation hasn’t been a thing for years (if it ever was), orders are processed as quick as Betfair can process them.
Liam, I've read on here you're on AWS, is that ec2 or lightsail? Lightsail is cheap but I don't think it's got the necessary sustained cpu speed, that said I don't need much, ec2 is the daddy (NASA and Netfix are customers) but more expensive and tricky to set up. I only avg about 170ms from seeing the trigger to confirmation where I am now, which I feel might be a bit slow so I'm looking around for an alternative.
LinusP

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:17 pm
LinusP wrote:
The 200ms order/processing limitation hasn’t been a thing for years (if it ever was), orders are processed as quick as Betfair can process them.
Liam, I've read on here you're on AWS, is that ec2 or lightsail? Lightsail is cheap but I don't think it's got the necessary sustained cpu speed, that said I don't need much, ec2 is the daddy (NASA and Netfix are customers) but more expensive and tricky to set up. I only avg about 170ms from seeing the trigger to confirmation where I am now, which I feel might be a bit slow so I'm looking around for an alternative.
Yeah I am on ec2, running headless Linux instances (custom AMI and a mixture of t2 instances) with a mixture of python and golang, my tick to trade is sub 10ms. Are you using BA for this?
ShaunWhite

LinusP wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:25 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:17 pm
LinusP wrote:
Yeah I am on ec2, running headless Linux instances (custom AMI and a mixture of t2 instances) with a mixture of python and golang, my tick to trade is sub 10ms. Are you using BA for this?
No, not BA. I'll PM you sometime if that's OK.
CallumPerry

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:46 pm
Cancellations don't have the 1s delay. Not sure where the 200ms comes from. Are you talking about the min time between submitting a bet and confirmation from BF?
So bet confirmation takes 1 second but cancellations happen immediately?
LinusP wrote:
CallumPerry wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:21 pm
The 200ms order/processing limitation hasn’t been a thing for years (if it ever was), orders are processed as quick as Betfair can process them. And it is possible but there is some competition and it’s not easy.
It must have just been some really old thread I was reading through then where I saw this figure before the streaming/polling update, always wondered about it so cheers for the answer guys.
ShaunWhite

CallumPerry wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:52 pm
So bet confirmation takes 1 second but cancellations happen immediately?
That's my understanding, Every bet arriving goes into a 1s queue but cancs got straight in.
ShaunWhite

LinusP wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:25 pm
my tick to trade is sub 10ms.
Sat in a car doing 70mph that's under a foot of travel, for people like me who glaze over at micro and macro numbers.
Hats off to all involved in the software and infrastucture at every stage that's making that possible. The BF matching and liability engines must glow red hot, half of that time is just getting the message to them.
PDC

LinusP wrote:
Prior to streaming it was definitely a thing and still is if you use polling I believe. It wasn't originally 'a thing' but it was later introduced by Betfair to cache the data to 200ms as people were taking the piss and hammering the Betfair servers as fast as they could to get as up to date information as they could and this was causing issue for Betfair.

It is well documented on the forum as I have read a lot of the threads about it when deciding if I wanted to use streaming or not.

With the introduction of streaming and Betfair pushing the data rather than the user pulling the data it was no longer an issue and they don't cache the data at 200ms any more (though I don't know if they do it at say 20ms, perhaps Dallas will know?).
LinusP

PDC wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:33 am
LinusP wrote:
Prior to streaming it was definitely a thing and still is if you use polling I believe. It wasn't originally 'a thing' but it was later introduced by Betfair to cache the data to 200ms as people were taking the piss and hammering the Betfair servers as fast as they could to get as up to date information as they could and this was causing issue for Betfair.

It is well documented on the forum as I have read a lot of the threads about it when deciding if I wanted to use streaming or not.

With the introduction of streaming and Betfair pushing the data rather than the user pulling the data it was no longer an issue and they don't cache the data at 200ms any more (though I don't know if they do it at say 20ms, perhaps Dallas will know?).
You are confusing the marketBook requests per second limit (is a thing) and the myth that betfair only process orders every 200ms (fairly sure it’s never been a thing).
spreadbetting

I've never heard of Betfair having order processing limitations, it just wouldn't make any sense for them to stack orders to process or even delay order responses. The price data requests used to be limited but actual bets have always been processed as quick as Betfair can handle them.

I've run my own API bots for a long time and never had any delay to bet orders, you stick in the request and milliseconds later you get your bet response telling you how much has been matched etc no delay whatsoever. It's most likely the myth started due to the way most off the shelf API apps used to make the order and data requests at the same time limited to price data request constraints.
PDC

LinusP wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:34 pm
You are confusing the marketBook requests per second limit (is a thing) and the myth that betfair only process orders every 200ms
Yes, my mistake I miss-read it/didn't register the fact they were asking about process orders and not marketbook requests.

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”