Completely daft messages on social media

A place to discuss anything.
Moody Mare

:arrow:
Last edited by Moody Mare on Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Euler

Moody Mare wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:56 pm
I've been a higher rate PC payer for some time.
If you actually are higher rate payer I just can't see how you would get value out of that event.
Moody Mare

:arrow:
Last edited by Moody Mare on Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Euler

But why pay to listen to somebody that is less successful than you? I don't get it?
PDC

Euler wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:01 pm
But why pay to listen to somebody that is less successful than you? I don't get it?
Not sure what has been said in the recent posts as a lot of the posts have been edited out but in response to Euler's comment one example would be I don't have the first clue about Cricket trading so listening to someone like Mark who is experienced in that aspect would be a good place to start if it were an area I was interested in getting into.

You could argue that listening to Caan and Steve you might pick up on something that you haven't heard before or it might spark an idea in your mind that you can then develop and I guess at £150 a ticket it doesn't need to create a huge edge to pay easily for itself. Also they may have idea that have not occurred to you in the past.

Previously I failed to see the benefit of the social aspect to the event, I would think most in attendance would be relatively new traders but it does seem there are a few who went that are experienced and been around a while so putting a face to a name and making a personal contact with some people could be of good benefit.
Euler

Totally get that and I've told Betfair for ages that there is a need to promote the benefits of the exchange more vocally. My comment was on what could somebody who paid higher rate PC, learn from somebody who hadn't? There was an exchange on that earlier in the thread that the author has now removed. Don't want to labour the point, just make it.
spreadbetting

Think I'd agree with PDC, not sure that being a higher rate PC payer is that good a guage of how successful or clued up someone is, especially across all sports. I'd guess there are plenty of players on this site with much bigger edges than mine but either haven't been going long enough or know how to exploit them properly. Probably more of a tell if a 'pro trader' isn't paying higher rate than if someone is.
PDC

Euler wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:13 pm
My comment was on what could somebody who paid higher rate PC, learn from somebody who hadn't?
I am quite surprised by your comment, I think it is a big misconception to assume that the mere fact someone is a higher rate PC payer knows everything that a non higher rate PC payer knows and therefore has nothing to learn from them.

I hope I have misunderstood your comment and you don't mean to imply that but that is how your comment has come across to me.

The mere fact someone is paying higher rate PC can in no way mean that they have nothing to learn from someone who does not. In fact I would see that as a very ignorant and arrogant thing to think which is why I am so surprised by your comment given your normal open mind to learning.

By your comment you would have nothing to learn from me, but I can near guarantee I know at least one thing in the markets that you do not. Granted you know a lot more than me about the markets but to assume the mere fact you pay more PC than me means you have nothing to learn from me has left me in disbelief.

A different tact and a simplistic theoretical example is someone has a single high strike rate edge that they employ on racing markets that only involves swing trading. They deploy that edge and it makes them considerable amounts of money and in time they will become a higher rate PC payer. To assume as per your comment that the mere fact they now pay higher rate PC means they have nothing to learn about back to lays, scalping, dutching etc etc just seems extraordinary. They have the potential to learn many new things and that can be learnt from people who do not pay higher rate PC, would the non-higher rate PC payers be the best people to learn from, that is open to question but can there be something to learn from a non higher PC payer, I would be certain there is.
Euler

No, you misunderstand me. In the context of the original posters comments I was trying to say does it make sense to get advice from somebody that hasn't earned as much as you. That was all. Higher rate PC was just an arbitrary measure, not a definitive one.
PDC

Euler wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:07 pm
No, you misunderstand me. In the context of the original posters comments I was trying to say does it make sense to get advice from somebody that hasn't earned as much as you. That was all. Higher rate PC was just an arbitrary measure, not a definitive one.
I thought it was an odd comment for you to make, hence my comment that I had hoped I had misunderstood you.

So I understand your comment in their correct context which original posters comments are you talking about?
spreadbetting

I think they deleted their comments, PDC, so it's easy to take things out of context.
PDC

Cheers SB, making a bit more sense to me now.

:? Nothing to see here, moving along
ShaunWhite

PDC wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:41 pm
:? Nothing to see here, moving along
Good, sling your hook, rumour has it you're not rich enough to have anything worth listening to anyway. :roll:
Trader Pat

spreadbetting wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:08 pm
Think I'd agree with PDC, not sure that being a higher rate PC payer is that good a guage of how successful or clued up someone is, especially across all sports. I'd guess there are plenty of players on this site with much bigger edges than mine but either haven't been going long enough or know how to exploit them properly. Probably more of a tell if a 'pro trader' isn't paying higher rate than if someone is.
Agreed with all that but if you were planning on going to an event where you had to pay over £100 to enter but were then told that not all of the speakers pay the higher rate of PC would you still go?I think a lot of people probably wouldn't
Derek27

I'm sure it's possible to be a highly successful trader without even paying the standard rate PC. A style of trading that has a 55% strike rate can still generate a lot of profit but the margin may be small enough to avoid PC. Wouldn't really make any difference because he would be paying a high rate of commission.

I would have attended the event myself if it was free and within easy travelling distance, out of interest and to get to meet other traders. But for £150 I think I'd rather take the money down the boozer or go out to a nice restaurant.

Return to “General discussion”