The Best ISP?

A place to discuss anything.
buyshirts

Good Morning!
Ive been with Sky and they have been pretty good until now. I started to dips in my connection speed at strange times especially in the early hours of the morning.
So a general question who is using what and how good are they?
In judging "Good" the obvious how often do you totally lose connection and then overall speed and ping rates
Dallas

People are liable to think your title relates to Industry Starting Price rather than Internet Service Provider
Dublin_Flyer

True Dallas!

Depends on location and providers available Blueshirts. Check local forums in your area that have neighbourhood watch or local bargains and such and ask around in the techy parts. I've Virgin Media in west Dublin and it's perfectly reliable for me, but that's not to say it's the same service in Midlands UK or elsewhere!

However in my experience, the most established operators are most reliable. The newest ones that offer cheap prices and amazing speeds either die out or get bought out. As they're bought out the insides of the company infrastructure seems to change, "system or hardware upgrades" happen more often leading to more downtime, always unannounced!

Pay attention to any minimum contracts though, if you're going for a good landline broadband package, you don't wanna be stuck in it for 24 months and see the guys laying fiber optic outside your house on monday, to be available in 6 months!
ShaunWhite

My logic has always been to go with whoever actually owns the physical infrastructure. Because when it goes wrong I'm talking to the organ grinder and no just a monkey. For that reason I've always been with BT and had 20yrs of really good service. I don't see the point of signing up with someone who's just leasing bandwidth from BT.

I'm not upto date with how things work these days... I assume Virgin and Sky now have their own exchanges?
Derek27

Dallas wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:01 am
People are liable to think your title relates to Industry Starting Price rather than Internet Service Provider
The clues in the 'general discussion' title to the forum. ;)

I'm with Virgin Media and they're very reliable. I don't check my speeds but it's as fast as I need.

As far as I know VM own the cables they lay and their exchange.
spreadbetting

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:38 pm
My logic has always been to go with whoever actually owns the physical infrastructure. Because when it goes wrong I'm talking to the organ grinder and no just a monkey. For that reason I've always been with BT and had 20yrs of really good service. I don't see the point of signing up with someone who's just leasing bandwidth from BT.

I'm not upto date with how things work these days... I assume Virgin and Sky now have their own exchanges?
Most of the bigger providers run their own networks from the exchange these days, you can check the LLU status here

https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/llu

ISP's vary from exchange to exchange so it's worth checking out local reviews rather than a blanket review on this forum which will have little if any relation to the service you'll get. The more popular a provider is the more people you share your bandwidth with at the exchange and then the prioritising of bandwidth starts coming into play so everyone gets a reasonable service.

Return to “General discussion”