Minimum bet discussion

A place to discuss anything.
ShaunWhite

RicHep365 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:34 am
Exactly, surely the whole point in being a bookie is to manage your book. If you take a lot of money on one outcome you reduce the odds. That's the a bookies job.
A bookies only job is to make money for their shareholders, how they do it should be their perogative if you believe in free market economics. If nobody's offering what you're asking for, it's obviously a non starter as a business proposition.

Everyone's talking as though the business has changed, known sucessful punters have never been able to get large amounts on at the full price. At least now you can have your tenner on at 20 different bookies while you sit at home rather than walking up and down the high street to do it.
RicHep365

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:48 pm
RicHep365 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:34 am
Exactly, surely the whole point in being a bookie is to manage your book. If you take a lot of money on one outcome you reduce the odds. That's the a bookies job.
A bookies only job is to make money for their shareholders, how they do it should be their perogative if you believe in free market economics. If nobody's offering what you're asking for, it's obviously a non starter as a business proposition.

Everyone's talking as though the business has changed, known sucessful punters have never been able to get large amounts on at the full price. At least now you can have your tenner on at 20 different bookies while you sit at home rather than walking up and down the high street to do it.
Yeah but this is the point, I can't get a tenner on across 40 bookmakers, if i could get a tenner on at each bookie I'd be a happy man.

I only really got involved in horse betting about 5 years ago and even that short time ago you could expect to win about 10k from a ladbrokes account, 5k from will hill, coral, betfred, bet vic etc... befoe restrictions kicked in, and even then the restrictions would allow a reasonable bet, now you're lucky if you can put 5-10 bets on before it's curtains, win or lose.

Some bookies have restricted my account before I've even placed a bet, others have restricted me to pennies after I've placed a couple of bets, and they did it before the races had been run.

They might as well have a sign above the door that says, "we only accept customers that lose" and while I agree that they shouldn't be expected to take anything people throw at them, surely there has to be some sort of balance.

Return to “General discussion”