Best trading films

A place to discuss anything.
brimson25

I suspect this thread may have been done. It's inspired by the fact that the Big Short just popped up on Netflix. That's a great film. And then I thought - I can't think of many others. Maybe Margin Call. There must be others. Or alternatively, really bad ones...

The poker boom was in part caused by many people seeing Rounders. Betfair needs a break through film like that!
northbound

Wall Street, a 1987 movie starring Michael Douglas and Charlie Sheen
brimson25

That's a good shout
Dallas

Rogue Trader (Nick Leeson and the Baring bank collapse)
Dallas

Also Million Dollar Traders

Not a film but a very good documentary all the same
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6ciY8u04Kk
Euler

wearthefoxhat

Wall Street Warriors

Season 1 Part 1 --->6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuzSItFhJLg

Season 2 Part 1 ---->6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tiLkEaOPso
marksmeets302

I agree, Wall Street is the best. These are also nice:

The Forecaster, about Martin Amstrong. It's more like a documentary, about a guy that claims to be able to predict market turns. There's a book that's almost similar but written from someone else's perspective. It's called Not my grandfathers wall street.

And of course Trader - The documentary. About Paul Tudor Jones. I heard it's a bit hard to come by, Tudor Jones wasn't too happy with the movie and he bought all copies. But the internet is the internet, and with a little effort you should be able to find it. Hopefully one day they will make a movie out of Pitbull, the book by Marty Schwartz. I have been reading that book at least once a year since 2000 or so.
brimson25

Euler wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:35 pm
Boiler room

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvICN8DNMpY
Plan to watch that - subject to spousal agreement! - tonight. It's on Amazon video, which makes it easy.

(I still find it astonishing how easy it is to get music and films these days. Kids will never really know that feeling!
brimson25

Rogue Trader is great. My wife was in Hong Kong in the 80s. She loved that it.
ShaunWhite

brimson25 wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:42 am
Rogue Trader is great. My wife was in Hong Kong in the 80s. She loved that it.

I remember handing over the derivatives trading module my team had written to Barings. I told them a tick from Compliance should be mandatory, they said it would show things down and allowed the traders to effectively self certify as they did their compliance checking, such as it was, overnight. We changed it... The rest is history. The City has always been run by cowboys, public school idiots and gobshites who think they're too cool for rules. I don't know how more people from Barings didn't end up in jail, but I suspect their daddy's do; one of the guys I worked with had a father who was a Lord so fill in the blanks.
Euler

Don't know who recommended this recently but it was a great watch

The China Hustle

On Netflix
Kafkaesque

Perhaps more character-driven than specifically on the gritty of trading compared to some of the suggestions so far, but Billions is well worth a watch imo.....despite being a series rather than a film as the subject line dictates :)
Cards37

I need an app for shows like goodreads is for books where I have a to read list. Which is over 700 books long, but still ... :)

Return to “General discussion”