General discussion : Trading Diet — what do you consume?

A place to discuss anything.
Post Reply
Trader Pat
Posts: 755
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:50 pm

Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:51 pm

eightbo wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:07 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:37 pm
...
My advice eliminate or completely eradicate processed foods from your diet. Much easier and cheaper than buying magic pills with little or no scientific evidence behind them and paying over the odds for goji berries and avacado toast.

The diet and nutrition industry makes billions every year on the ignorance of its customers. A little research and common sense goes a long way.
just for the record / anyone interested, it appears ashwagandha root, which was mentioned just prior to Pat's post does not fall under the category of a "magic pill with little or no scientific evidence behind them" as quickly found a scientific study for this one.

'Adaptogens' overall sound quite interesting. I'm gonna read up on them a bit more and look forward to trialling them curiously.
Wasnt a criticism as much as an observation. There's so many things marketed as good for you or as a miracle food that you have to be careful not to fall into the placebo trap. And scientific studies can also be misleading, other foods and dietary supplements have had promising scientific studies only for another study to come along 6 months later and contradict the original one.

Like I said earlier so much money is wasted on 'super foods' and supplements, prime example of this are multi vitamins, thousands of scientific studies done on them and there's no evidence that they are of any benefit. One study will say they are of limited benefit and another will say they can do more harm that good if taken over a long period of time.

Another thing to consider would be lifestyle and overall diet. Even if you find a 'super food' that does have scientific evidence behind it If you're having 3 takeaway meals a week and drinking 10 pints over the course of a weekend then you're mitigating any benefits that it might give you.

The only tried and tested method for physical and mental well being is a sensible diet and exercise. I dont run but any jogger I've ever spoken to tell me they feel great after a run especially mentally. Everyone has their opinion but for me 'super foods' are a bit like spending money on a trading ebook, its a shortcut and most are no good.

trader44
Posts: 230
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:28 pm

Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:59 pm

microwave meals for me :oops:

Trader Pat
Posts: 755
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:50 pm

Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:08 pm

trader44 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:59 pm
microwave meals for me :oops:
I can't really preach too much I had a big mac a few days ago! :? :)

deestar
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:17 pm

Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:17 pm

Trader Pat wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:51 pm
eightbo wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:07 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:37 pm

I dont run but any jogger I've ever spoken to tell me they feel great after a run especially mentally.
Let me be the exception to the rule. As a (admittedly recent) jogger I never feel good, let alone great, after a run. Hate every step with a passion and the supposed endorphin pay off has never once materialised. But it has got to be good for me right so, around the park i go....

Trader Pat
Posts: 755
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:50 pm

Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:37 pm

Some interesting cut and pasting deestar

Looks like that comment was deleted? Which is why I didnt see it earlier

eightbo
Posts: 1590
Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 8:19 pm
Location: Barcelona

Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:44 am

Yeah I know pat, all good bro.
Highly recommend running. After 20-40min at average pace you'll get "runners high" which is is the release of something called Anandamine (endocannabinoid) into the blood which really puts you in a good mood and primes you for good performance. This is different from lifting or resistance exercises, where I don't notice those mood benefits. If I could only do one it'd be the running and I got into running for dif reasons but that's my main reason now for keeping it up.

Side note I feel ice cold shower has similar effect but more short-lived so unless I'm in a rush I'll end my shower with like 2-3m of coldest setting and found that gets my session off to a good start. Recommended trying that pre-session for a week see how you go.

Re: fasting I've also noticed some clear 3-4hr stretches when waking up and trading first thing but I'm still skinny so I try cap it at about 2 hours now to balance between that and weight gain. Defo agree there is something there. Also noticed that if I eat something processed before bed then I get hunger kick in early and the 2-4hr window of clarity gets cut short and distracted by hunger so tend to just go whole grain carbs big meal the night before now and if I want to enjoy a snack while I'm winding down after that I'll have some fruit juice or something rather than sweets which seems to work much better

Trader Pat
Posts: 755
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:50 pm

Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:35 pm

Unfortunately I'm no longer built for running! :D 10 years or so of carrying too much weight has taken it tolls on the joints, mostly low impact exercises for me exercise bike and rowing machine.

Fasting's a really interesting one as there seems to be a lot of evidence to back it up. I'm trying to get into a routine of breakfast at 8am and then a small lunch before the horses start, feeling too full definitely seems to have a negative effect on concentration and focus. Like you say though its all about finding the right balance between the two, you dont want your belly rumbling while trying to figure out which direction the favourite is going in!

User avatar
Derek27
Posts: 8256
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:44 am
Location: UK

Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:41 pm

I'm looking for a treadmill that I can use over the winter but so far all I can find are treadmills with preset routines. There doesn't seem to be anything on the market that lets you fully customise your workout.

Trader Pat
Posts: 755
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:50 pm

Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:44 pm

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:41 pm
I'm looking for a treadmill that I can use over the winter but so far all I can find are treadmills with preset routines. There doesn't seem to be anything on the market that lets you fully customise your workout.
I thought that would have been pretty standard on a treadmill?

User avatar
Derek27
Posts: 8256
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:44 am
Location: UK

Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:25 pm

Trader Pat wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:44 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:41 pm
I'm looking for a treadmill that I can use over the winter but so far all I can find are treadmills with preset routines. There doesn't seem to be anything on the market that lets you fully customise your workout.
I thought that would have been pretty standard on a treadmill?
So would I, but not a single treadmill on Argos or Amazon has programmable routines - you have to select the nearest best fit. I haven't looked at the expensive machines but it should be a standard feature.

Post Reply

Return to “General discussion”

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest