Does a VPS or VPN offer lower latency?

A place to discuss anything.
arbitrage16

I'm an in-running trader so need my latency as low as possible.

Using a VPN currently and I have set my location to Dublin. I'm not sure whether different VPNs would allow lower latencies and so charge accordingly - anyone had any experience?
rik

I believe if your manually trading it will make your response times slightly worse as signal will have to go thorugh vpn first and might even have to travel slightly longer if vpn isnt exactly on the way to betfair server.
if you have have automated strategies that work better the lower the latency you should run your program on a server near betfairs.
arbitrage16

Thanks Rick, that doesn't quite answer my question though :)
rik

vpn express irish server has 2ms ping to betfair still takes about 50ms to cancel/place bets.
i assume the 48ms are down to betfair bet matching process rather than if the vpn has ping of 1 or 3 ms im no technical expert though
bigger differences probably in reliability

if your manual like i assume you are if in running latency is important to you im pretty sure direct connection is best
Euler

Betfair cache data anyhow, so no matter how fast your ping it, it will just return stale data.

A VPN is routed through additional servers, so it's generally slower than a VPS. But there is a natural limit to how fast you can useful ping Betfair.
tryingtotrade

Euler wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:56 am
Betfair cache data anyhow, so no matter how fast your ping it, it will just return stale data.

A VPN is routed through additional servers, so it's generally slower than a VPS. But there is a natural limit to how fast you can useful ping Betfair.
So for manually trading horse racing a direct connection would be the fastest and offers the most stable price refresh, bet placement times?
Fugazi

Does it make a difference if I upgrade my Betangel vps? I also have no clue about this kinda tech.

Return to “General discussion”