Nice trading quote

A place to discuss anything.
jimibt

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 3:13 pm
Ferru123 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 12:02 pm
If you are making £1k a day, after a lifetime of struggling to make ends meet. Would you readily give that up to get dragged around B&Q on a Saturday afternoon? Or to have a day out with your mates on your Motorcycle or go to a match?
Yes.

Interesting alternatives to working there, mates or a match or being 'dragged' round with your family. What happened to wanting to be with your family?

I just don't see how can people justify telling the kids that they don't want to spend time with them because you'd rather have your own idea of fun, or £1,001,000 in the bank instead of £1,000,000. Kids want your time not an extra holiday or to see you in a slightly bigger house/car/ego. I didn't care if my dad had a million or a fiver because he gave me the most valuable thing he had, time, and those memories are more precious now he's gone than how 'sucessful' he was.

Lots of guys on here are of an age where they're sadly losing parents, how many would give up a month or even a year's wages for the chance to have just one more pint with them. :cry: And that's how your children will feel about you.

My boy's visiting for the first time in 3 months this weekend, I wish it was every weekend. Fuck the money.
too true... perspective means standing back. standing back means facing yourself. facing yourself means accepting your decisions... and so it goes on. as you say, place a value on the things that can't be purchased!
ShaunWhite

jimibt wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 3:17 pm
too true... perspective means standing back. standing back means facing yourself. facing yourself means accepting your decisions... and so it goes on. as you say, place a value on the things that can't be purchased!
Cheers Jimi, it's easy to think you're out on a limb when you're in such a 'money comes first' environment.

I've said my piece, now I'll shut up ;)
jimibt

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 3:21 pm
jimibt wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 3:17 pm
Cheers Jimi, it's easy to think you're out on a limb when you're in such a 'money comes first' environment.

I've said my piece, now I'll shut up ;)
yeah - rewind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUqvPJ3cbUQ
ShaunWhite

jimibt wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 3:36 pm
hehe 2nd single I ever bought, 1st was White Riot. Had to play them on my brother's Dansette because my folks thought they'd damage their 'music centre' speakers :)

Music was definately eclectic back then.
jimibt

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 4:01 pm
jimibt wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 3:36 pm
hehe 2nd single I ever bought, 1st was White Riot. Had to play them on my brother's Dansette because my folks thought they'd damage their 'music centre' speakers :)

Music was definately eclectic back then.
time for a *what was you 1st vinyl* thread then -lol
Euler

Trading gives me the freedom to do more with my family, but like any job, if you want to do really well you have to work really hard. But that in itself is a lesson for the kids! The funny thing that I have found, which I half expected, was that they don't want to work so hard, but like the money. I'm doing my best to teach them that both go together and that you can't pick and choose.

I find it ironic how often you see people on the sell side come up with wordy positioning statements that contradict their own reality. I've always worked hard to be consistent in my outlook and actions as that's the only way you make real long-term progress in my opinion. You should live by your word, good and bad or you just end up having to remember what you said to whom, better to just be honest. A lot of people who position themselves as being all enlightened often don't trade and / or didn't hold their family together. Not exactly the best role models!

I lost my parents quite some time ago, but that acted as a bit motivator for me as they both died without having fulfilled their potential for one reason or another. So I wanted to live to my full potential. I've far exceeded what most people felt I could, so if I died tomorrow I'd be a bit pissed off, but there isn't much I would change and I've done a lot of the things I thought were impossible. I'll continue to live like that.
wearthefoxhat

Euler wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 5:01 pm
Trading gives me the freedom to do more with my family, but like any job, if you want to do really well you have to work really hard. But that in itself is a lesson for the kids! The funny thing that I have found, which I half expected, was that they don't want to work so hard, but like the money. I'm doing my best to teach them that both go together and that you can't pick and choose.

I find it ironic how often you see people on the sell side come up with wordy positioning statements that contradict their own reality. I've always worked hard to be consistent in my outlook and actions as that's the only way you make real long-term progress in my opinion. You should live by your word, good and bad or you just end up having to remember what you said to whom, better to just be honest. A lot of people who position themselves as being all enlightened often don't trade and / or didn't hold their family together. Not exactly the best role models!

I lost my parents quite some time ago, but that acted as a bit motivator for me as they both died without having fulfilled their potential for one reason or another. So I wanted to live to my full potential. I've far exceeded what most people felt I could, so if I died tomorrow I'd be a bit pissed off, but there isn't much I would change and I've done a lot of the things I thought were impossible. I'll continue to live like that.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

In poker, there's a saying .... "It's a hard way to make an easy living"

I suppose much applies to trading. (if quote has previously been in this used in this thread.. I apologise in advance)
ShaunWhite

Euler wrote:
So I wanted to live to my full potential.
Full potential to me is a horizontal not a vertical ie be good at many things rather than be outstanding at one thing. But that's not to say that I can't see the pros and cons in both modus operandi. No certainties, only likelihoods that either camp is right.

I know you're not advocating total immersion in one goal, you wouldn't take time out to play tennis or travel the world or help us all here so much if that was the case. Life's a tricky balancing act, spread yourself too thinly and nothing gets done well, focus too sharply and it's the only thing that gets done well. You could be a better trader if you were more selfish and I could be a better trader if I wasn't doing other things too.

So, as long as you're happy, I'm happy, and those we care about are happy, I'd say we're both winners.
ShaunWhite

Euler wrote:
I find it ironic how often you see people on the sell side come up with wordy positioning statements that contradict their own reality.
What does this mean?

I was also intrigued by the 'all' preceding 'enlighten' as it had a disparaging tone. Should their past failures be a reason to give up on their aspirations? The road to success is paved with failure. Perhaps you were just disparaging about them being sanctimonious. That's often the case with people who seek or find their own Nirvana, they become evangelical about it and dismissive of alternatives.
Wolf1877

Euler wrote:
Interesting thoughts. I think it is a very common problem for anyone who has done well in life through hard work and determination that their kids are unlikely to be driven. Its a bit like the repetitive patterns in trading markets. My kids have had a fairly comfortable upbringing and they are nowhere near as driven as I am. Good luck with trying to teach them that lesson but I think that could be your hardest challenge yet!

As to this trading lark, I love it, I hate it, I'm obsessed with it, I'm frustrated with it, I've over-analysed it to death and I've been up a lot of blind alleys with it so I can well understand just how hard you have had to work at this. I've certainly not cracked it yet, but I will!
Wolf1877

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 3:13 pm
Interesting alternatives to working there, mates or a match or being 'dragged' round with your family. What happened to wanting to be with your family?

I just don't see how can people justify telling the kids that they don't want to spend time with them because you'd rather have your own idea of fun, or £1,001,000 in the bank instead of £1,000,000. Kids want your time not an extra holiday or to see you in a slightly bigger house/car/ego. I didn't care if my dad had a million or a fiver because he gave me the most valuable thing he had, time, and those memories are more precious now he's gone than how 'sucessful' he was.

Lots of guys on here are of an age where they're sadly losing parents, how many would give up a month or even a year's wages for the chance to have just one more pint with them. :cry: And that's how your children will feel about you.

My boy's visiting for the first time in 3 months this weekend, I wish it was every weekend. Fuck the money.
Very well said Shaun. Money can make life a lot easier and solve a lot of problems, especially if you ever get in a tight spot and you have not got enough. Even then it is far from the most important thing in life. Guess I'll be renewing my season ticket then and spending some quality time with my family at weekends. As to Saturday/Sunday afternoon trading, I'll just have to work harder on building and then improving top notch automation processes which I'm sure will do a far better job than I can ever do on manual trading anyway. Hope you had a great weekend catching up with your son!
Euler

In hindsight, I'd rather do something I enjoy than do something just for money. I look back at some decisions I've made in the past and realise I should have just done what was right than just because it earnt a bit of money. That also goes for the impact on others. You eventually learn if you are good at something then the money arrives anyhow.

But that also goes for working for others. I put up with some right rubbish when I was younger and I should have just told them where to go, it wouldn't have made any difference. One of the best moments of my life was when my daughter was born, one of the worst was when my boss called me in for a meeting the next day. The very best moment was when I turned up to the meeting with a screaming baby and fed it during the meeting to make a point. When I left the meeting everybody stood up in the offices and applauded me. I resigned a few days later to work for a company just down the road from me so I could spend more time with the family. #turningpoint
Euler

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 2:43 am
Euler wrote:
So I wanted to live to my full potential.
Full potential to me is a horizontal not a vertical ie be good at many things rather than be outstanding at one thing. But that's not to say that I can't see the pros and cons in both modus operandi. No certainties, only likelihoods that either camp is right.
I've told my youngest daughter, who has a lot of potential, it's OK to be a generalist as that works really well longer term.
Euler

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 3:48 am
I was also intrigued by the 'all' preceding 'enlighten' as it had a disparaging tone. Should their past failures be a reason to give up on their aspirations? The road to success is paved with failure. Perhaps you were just disparaging about them being sanctimonious. That's often the case with people who seek or find their own Nirvana, they become evangelical about it and dismissive of alternatives.
Not really, just a bit frustrated with where the industry is, it feels like it's, generally, slipping back into the modus operandi of tipsters. If it's to prosper and grow it needs to be done professionally. Rather than the 'here you go buddy make a few mill mate' sort of crap. Nobody would hold errors or omissions from people if they have genuine intent. We need a bit more of that.
ruthlessimon

Euler wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 8:56 am
In hindsight, I'd rather do something I enjoy than do something just for money. I look back at some decisions I've made in the past and realise I should have just done what was right

You eventually learn if you are good at something then the money arrives anyhow.
Out of interest, if a prospective trader falls into that category what advice would you pass down?

Both aware of the sheer opportunities that await success; but the road to that success could be extremely long & damaging (to work & relations) - with no guarantees to even the most committed - but is anything in life.

Return to “General discussion”