Nice trading quote

A place to discuss anything.
Wolf1877

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 3:13 pm
Interesting alternatives to working there, mates or a match or being 'dragged' round with your family. What happened to wanting to be with your family?

I just don't see how can people justify telling the kids that they don't want to spend time with them because you'd rather have your own idea of fun, or £1,001,000 in the bank instead of £1,000,000. Kids want your time not an extra holiday or to see you in a slightly bigger house/car/ego. I didn't care if my dad had a million or a fiver because he gave me the most valuable thing he had, time, and those memories are more precious now he's gone than how 'sucessful' he was.

Lots of guys on here are of an age where they're sadly losing parents, how many would give up a month or even a year's wages for the chance to have just one more pint with them. :cry: And that's how your children will feel about you.

My boy's visiting for the first time in 3 months this weekend, I wish it was every weekend. Fuck the money.
Very well said Shaun. Money can make life a lot easier and solve a lot of problems, especially if you ever get in a tight spot and you have not got enough. Even then it is far from the most important thing in life. Guess I'll be renewing my season ticket then and spending some quality time with my family at weekends. As to Saturday/Sunday afternoon trading, I'll just have to work harder on building and then improving top notch automation processes which I'm sure will do a far better job than I can ever do on manual trading anyway. Hope you had a great weekend catching up with your son!
Euler

In hindsight, I'd rather do something I enjoy than do something just for money. I look back at some decisions I've made in the past and realise I should have just done what was right than just because it earnt a bit of money. That also goes for the impact on others. You eventually learn if you are good at something then the money arrives anyhow.

But that also goes for working for others. I put up with some right rubbish when I was younger and I should have just told them where to go, it wouldn't have made any difference. One of the best moments of my life was when my daughter was born, one of the worst was when my boss called me in for a meeting the next day. The very best moment was when I turned up to the meeting with a screaming baby and fed it during the meeting to make a point. When I left the meeting everybody stood up in the offices and applauded me. I resigned a few days later to work for a company just down the road from me so I could spend more time with the family. #turningpoint
Euler

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 2:43 am
Euler wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 5:01 pm
So I wanted to live to my full potential.
Full potential to me is a horizontal not a vertical ie be good at many things rather than be outstanding at one thing. But that's not to say that I can't see the pros and cons in both modus operandi. No certainties, only likelihoods that either camp is right.
I've told my youngest daughter, who has a lot of potential, it's OK to be a generalist as that works really well longer term.
Euler

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 3:48 am
I was also intrigued by the 'all' preceding 'enlighten' as it had a disparaging tone. Should their past failures be a reason to give up on their aspirations? The road to success is paved with failure. Perhaps you were just disparaging about them being sanctimonious. That's often the case with people who seek or find their own Nirvana, they become evangelical about it and dismissive of alternatives.
Not really, just a bit frustrated with where the industry is, it feels like it's, generally, slipping back into the modus operandi of tipsters. If it's to prosper and grow it needs to be done professionally. Rather than the 'here you go buddy make a few mill mate' sort of crap. Nobody would hold errors or omissions from people if they have genuine intent. We need a bit more of that.
ruthlessimon

Euler wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 8:56 am
In hindsight, I'd rather do something I enjoy than do something just for money. I look back at some decisions I've made in the past and realise I should have just done what was right

You eventually learn if you are good at something then the money arrives anyhow.
Out of interest, if a prospective trader falls into that category what advice would you pass down?

Both aware of the sheer opportunities that await success; but the road to that success could be extremely long & damaging (to work & relations) - with no guarantees to even the most committed - but is anything in life.
ShaunWhite

Sounds like several of us have similar problems. I've found it hard to motivate my lad to make the most of opportunities.

I was lucky to I find myself in the right time and place with the right skills and with the right people.... I still had to work 12hrs a day (and obviously I was brilliant ;) kidding ) but frankly got lucky in life in that regard. That's just not going to happen for him I'm afraid, 26 and just not getting the breaks. Success isn't a case of just wanting it enough.

I think it was Alan Sugar that said success needs a huge slice of luck, but successful people generally don't say that because it undermines their role in it. It only reinforces the fact that when opportunity does come along, you need to seize it.
LeTiss

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 4:01 pm
Sounds like several of us have similar problems. I've found it hard to motivate my lad to make the most of opportunities.

I was lucky to I find myself in the right time and place with the right skills and with the right people.... I still had to work 12hrs a day (and obviously I was brilliant ;) kidding ) but frankly got lucky in life in that regard. That's just not going to happen for him I'm afraid, 26 and just not getting the breaks. Success isn't a case of just wanting it enough.

I think it was Alan Sugar that said success needs a huge slice of luck, but successful people generally don't say that because it undermines their role in it. It only reinforces the fact that when opportunity does come along, you need to seize it.
Does he suffer with depression, or low self-esteem?

I know men don't like to talk about these things, but when a guy in his mid 20's appears to have a lack of desire, or motivation to succeed, there can sometimes be darker forces working within him
ShaunWhite

LeTiss wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 4:18 pm

Does he suffer with depression, or low self-esteem?

I know men don't like to talk about these things, but when a guy in his mid 20's appears to have a lack of desire, or motivation to succeed, there can sometimes be darker forces working within him
Cheers for that, that's been a big worry and it's definitely something I keep any eye on. To be fair to him he did get his act together a couple of years ago and has been trying, but promises from his work haven't materislised, he can't even get a small rise off min wage, and his boss is a w*nker to be honest. He's got to get moved before it demoralises him too much. So... this weekend I've helped him brush up his CV and tried to boost his confidence.

We also spent a couple of hours looking at trading, I was really surprised how sensible his questions were given that he knows nothing about betting. He's gamed a lot and it seems like a lot of the psych is similar, slow progressions spoilt by moments madness, risk reward etc. I'm going to set him up with 50 quid and a couple of months on BA and, if you don't try you never know. Good time of year to catch some part time action. I'm hoping for my sake he's the next Adam but I'm not sure how I feel about him looking at the forum and seeing the unedited me :? Maybe I won't mention it. If there's anything left after 2 months I might send him to Hook for the day.

Cheers again Tiss, hope things have been going OK for you and the family. Ups and downs I guess, but getting there I hope.
mcgoo

Interesting thread. Reminded me..re young men in their 20's:
Growing up in South Africa was different (back in the day) in that you knew you would go into the military under conscription laws at the time. Most grew out of the army experience, it broke others..Either way, you grew up fast. It taught me a lot about myself.
A few years ago, we took in the elder son of a friend of ours. His Mum is wealthy, his brother driven and now working for Google. The elder brother is bright but was seemingly depressed at the time (21 then), gaming all night and sleeping all day. He had dropped out of his uni course and his Mum was worried for him. We offered a place to reset in a city away from home.To his credit, he accepted.I made one condition: He train at an Aikido dojo I attended.There is a magical Master teaching there who I felt would help him. I recall on his first day with us , how, in a reflection of pure anxiety, he tried to bury his head in the chair rest in front of him on the ferry ride to the dojo. It turned out he was a natural at the martial arts though and it was the best possible thing for him(luckily). After 6 months with us, learning to get up early again, make his bed and wash the dishes every day (my wife is a bit ferocious :) ), he moved into the dojo as an uchi deshi (inside student ) and trained daily towards black belt-all the while getting up early to clean the dojo before starting his day (Sensei is ferocious too :)) .He made it to 1st Dan as a confident 6'4 martial student( a joy to watch).He restarted Uni and finished a degree.He has a good job now and loves his work. I am not sure if it was his wealthy background or nature that caused him to wander off a productive path but it is immensely rewarding to see him do better. Perhaps the best blades are forged in heat and it was the pressure that helped him-I hope so. Sensei says that the best way to improve at martial arts is humility & that Aikido is life.Perhaps trading is too. I see so much similarity between Aikido and trading.It humbles you and requires spirit to push through.It makes you look hard at your weaknesses and reflects you directly, among other things. You (well not yet in my experience) never feel like you have arrived. All the best to you and yours(and your young man Shaun)..in life and trading :D
ShaunWhite

Hold the front page about motivation!
Last night I texted boyo, 'I'll send you some links to that trading stuff in the next few days'
Today I get 'I've found it and some tutorial vids"...and a pic of a practice mode green ladder :o
..not sure if I should be proud or wondering why the hell isn't he at work!

My comments will be fully moderated from now on in case he's already on the forum :?
Kafkaesque

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 4:43 pm
Hold the front page about motivation!
Last night I texted boyo, 'I'll send you some links to that trading stuff in the next few days'
Today I get 'I've found it and some tutorial vids"...and a pic of a practice mode green ladder :o
..not sure if I should be proud or wondering why the hell isn't he at work!

My comments will be fully moderated from now on in case he's already on the forum :?
Should we have a vote as to who he is on here? I'll guess at Luca :lol:

On a more serious note, good for him :) In the midst of, understandably, wanting the lad to find purpose, meaning and something to sink his teeth, do keep your eye on the ball here. This lifestyle isn't for everyone, and the pitfalls of trading/gambling are plenty. Don't really think I need to tell you that, but we do sometimes all fall foul of wanting good things so badly that we miss the downsides.
ShaunWhite

Kafkaesque wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 5:12 pm
do keep your eye on the ball here.
It's the reason I haven't even suggested it in the last x years. It's far from my ideal choice as a fulltime job for a young guy as I've said on here before, little bit of extra pocket money is the goal.

I'm just glad he's found it via me rather than via some plonker off the internet.
spreadbetting

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 5:56 pm
It's far from my ideal choice as a fulltime job for a young guy as I've said on here before, ....................
Couldn't agree more, it's given me plenty of time to spend with my kids, a healthy income for the last 10 years or so, but I'm glad I wasn't doing this for a living in my 20's. This is such a solitary pursuit, no matter how hard you try I doubt you'd ever get the same quality of social life as your peers especially when younger. And let's face it if you need lots of money to enjoy yourself when young you're probably doing something wrong
ruthlessimon

spreadbetting wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 8:18 pm
but I'm glad I wasn't doing this for a living in my 20's. This is such a solitary pursuit, no matter how hard you try I doubt you'd ever get the same quality of social life as your peers especially when younger
Really? Only if you decide to make it such. How's it different to anyone else looking to progress in a career?

A trader can choose to be a complete hermit - but isn't forced to be one

I really doubt young Dr's/barristers etc have a great social life. Actually no - they are good at parties - they need to get pissed to cure the stress!
ShaunWhite

ruthlessimon wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 10:32 pm
Really? Only if you decide to make it such. How's it different to anyone else looking to progress in a career?
You certainly have a wider social circle in a big company, not necessarily all friends but different types. The thing I liked most about it was the unexpected opportunies rather than just ploughing your own furrow. I was paid to go places and have training in things I'd never have done myself. Sitting alone in your office for 12hrs isn't anything like having a team around you and management who are helping your progress, or meeting influential people you can network with. Office life can be a laugh too most days.

Then you get paid when you're sick, paid to have 6 weeks off, a pension, private health for you and your family, share options, maybe a car...... Then there's credit ratings, mortgages etc

You have the potential to earn a lot more too, what's your trading target? £500k? Now look at what a senior partner or board member earns, triple plus for 4 days and Friday playing golf.

Return to “General discussion”