Goodwood liquidity

A place to discuss anything.
hgodden

Is it just me or has the liquidity at Goodwood not been pretty poor this year? I wasn't expecting as much as Cheltenham but I thought it might get near Ascot but for me it's been more like when they have the festivals at Newmarket, some nice races for sure but little you can really sink your teeth into. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come in the racing markets, although to be fair I think so far this year they've held up pretty well inspite of the recession.
LeTiss

In my opinion the Racing world has a few problems. The football markets have been strong this week, so a lack of money being traded isn't necessarily the issue. I think there's many people like me, who are simply bored rigid of horse racing. It's the most dishonest, corrupt industry in world sport, and the amount of real money being punted on horses within Betfair, is being masked by big traders who throw 20 bets into the market with 10mins to go
Squirtle

I would agree, it's been very very poor. Not only has the total matched not reached previous years but orders are taking an age to get taken. I've often put up orders where there is little money and it's taken a very long time to be taken. Nobody seems to be taking my bets?

I had a farcial situation where I offered up £100 at 6's where there was nearly no money. It took a full two minutes for the money to get taken. I don't think I have ever seen that before?

I wonder what is going on? I thought maybe it was just me but seeing this post tells me its not.
jimrobo

yep been pretty thin for me. Have been surprised by an apparant lack of liquidity. Maybe peter can give us some hard stats?
andyfuller

Wasn't expecting heaps from it tbh but have to say it has been below expectations. IMO liquidity is down across the board on horse racing. Other markets are strong and growing.

As the previous person said, racing has a lot of problems and they don't seem to know it. From my experience those in racing hold us bettors in disregard. The understanding of the industry that on the whole funds the sport leaves a lot to be desired.

They seem to think people need racing to bet still rather than racing needs the people to bet on it.
Brent

The moves are sustained and genuine though.
RideTheLightning

Perhaps it is due to some of the races starting just 5mins after the previous race was due to go off.
Cran

and others starting 30 mins after the last race went off... :roll:
Point2Point

Should rename this thread Goodwood visibility looking at the course today!
TheRiddler

LeTiss 4pm wrote:In my opinion the Racing world has a few problems. The football markets have been strong this week, so a lack of money being traded isn't necessarily the issue. I think there's many people like me, who are simply bored rigid of horse racing. It's the most dishonest, corrupt industry in world sport, and the amount of real money being punted on horses within Betfair, is being masked by big traders who throw 20 bets into the market with 10mins to go
Sometimes a real money bet is masked by trades which will not be filled.That's food for thought.
There is corruption within all sports where making money out of the spectator is the main 'goal' in my opinion. It's all about sorting the chiff from the chaff.
TheRiddler

andyfuller wrote:Wasn't expecting heaps from it tbh but have to say it has been below expectations. IMO liquidity is down across the board on horse racing. Other markets are strong and growing.

As the previous person said, racing has a lot of problems and they don't seem to know it. From my experience those in racing hold us bettors in disregard. The understanding of the industry that on the whole funds the sport leaves a lot to be desired.

They seem to think people need racing to bet still rather than racing needs the people to bet on it.

I agree racing has many problems one being the use of the whip. The industry needs better people at the top as a whole. The sport of kings will not be disappearing any time soon but it is heading into the bottom of the trough. Race times, no whip, lower racecourse entrance fees all need rectifying along with true going reports which adjust as quickly as possible, etc. etc. etc. Racehorse wellbeing is also paramount and punishments for jockeys doing wrong needs to increase and be implemented earlier. Overbreeding is also a major problem.

But when one witnesses a real athlete such as See The Stars, RVW, C Cliffs, it makes other sports feel souless and more of the moment, rather than a special moment to be remembered for many years to come.

I can't comment on the liquidity at Goody because I've been solely punting since early june. There where many prime bets to be made for those who are prepared to understand this sport xtension at goodwood being a fantastic example where even a rookie
at punting should have 'made' money. Sometimes only trading a market can leave you temporarily blind in one eye. That's what I believe anyhow.
Ta tar
andyfuller

You aren't seriously saying the whip should be banned are you? Or have I misread that?

I think the move by William Hill offshore and the others following suit will be one of the biggest issues for racing, from which I can not see a solution to.

Over breeding is a big problem and those breeders are paying the price at the sales, there will be carnage this lot of yearling sales and next year!
TheRiddler

andyfuller wrote:You aren't seriously saying the whip should be banned are you? Or have I misread that?

I think the move by William Hill offshore and the others following suit will be one of the biggest issues for racing, from which I can not see a solution to.

Over breeding is a big problem and those breeders are paying the price at the sales, there will be carnage this lot of yearling sales and next year!

Racing needs to attract a wider audience that we all know. The problem with the whip is that for the non race goer or race enthusiast the whips use is often seen as a object of punishment and not encouragement. This needs to be addressed. For me personally the cushioned whip should stay (and used appropriately) but whilst it remains I doubt there will be in-roads into that audience.

Return to “General discussion”