CANDLESTICKS / Matchsticks / Last traded price chart

Help improve Bet Angel.

Would you like to see candlestick movements next to ladders?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:05 pm

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes: 51
smoothoperator

I have been using other software for a while. The only reason I use other software is because of the candlesticks. The lack of candlesticks next to ladders on horse markets is the one thing that makes bet angel unusable for me which is annoying as bet angel is so much more stable and reliable than other software, plus the watchlist and many other features are also far better. Can you confirm, just in case I am being a dunce, that Bet Angel does not offer these? If not, I wish it was a feature.

Both Geeks Toy and other software show candlestick movements in price action and this is invaluable to reading trends and reversals. I know of many people who all wish this was a feature in your software. Is there any way you could consider this on a later release? PLEASE!

I hate using other software and so do my trading friends, it feels so tacky and cheap compared to the beautiful layout and functionality of BA, but having those candlesticks is an absolute must for me. Please consider adding it.
Last edited by smoothoperator on Tue May 12, 2015 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

It's not something you can do at the moment apart from spawn an advanced chart and pin it next to the ladder. We have been asked for it a few times via e-mail and an enhancement like this is driven by customer demand.

Please ask your trading group to either post to this thread or you could gather their contact details and send it in an e-mail request to us at [email protected]

If we have dozens of people requesting the same change then it's going to be given a much higher priority.

Also please let us know in more detail what you'd be looking for.

i.e. How many candles do people tend to display?

I'm assuming it would be based on last traded price, but how much time should elapse before the plot advances to the next candle?

Is there a preference as to which side of the ladder it would be displayed?

We haven't looked at the other softwares' implementation, so if via this thread people could capture their essential requirements we can work through it and price up the development costs.
smoothoperator

I will ask a few of my mates and see if they can spread the word. I must have had this conversation with 40-50 full time traders over the past couple of years. The view of almost every single one was the same, GR and other trading software are no match for yours in terms of professional look and feel, usability and stability. Basically in every single way EXCEPT those damn candlesticks which are crucial if you are looking for an ending pattern to a trend or other early warnings of changes in the market. I don't know how much campaigning I can do or how many people I can get to contact you but I can assure you 100% that this feature will bring a LOT of people back to bet angel and bring in many new people who would have gone to other software if it wasn't for this feature.

I dont know what the time delays on the candles are, I will try and attach a picture of one of my ladders below. I can find out though, I think it is in GR settings, it might even be adjustable.

it doesnt need to be too clever though, it just needs to plot a very thin chart, ideally on the left, showing each ladders last movements. I wouldn't mind betting that if you surveyed your email list or made a prominent poll post on the forum here you would get a very good response supporting the idea.

when i am at races trading, i wouldnt use it so much, but i am doing more and more trend trading and for that, its a must have if you want to get out before whipsaws or reversals.

I really hope you will look into it as a priority! I am dying to come back to Bet angel!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Euler

I don't think they should be called candlesticks because that would confuse other people using real candlesticks.

I've never found the need to use them so I'm not sure what I'm looking at there. Does it just tick up or down on the last traded price refresh?
smoothoperator

Hi Peter, yes good point, they are not candlesticks are they! I trade stocks too so I get the point and its valid. Maybe just "ladder chart".

It just ticks up and down yes, but can be very useful, in fact so useful that I can't trade without it. I tried, I came back to bet angel for a while but just felt totally exposed without them. The volume colour change in BA side bars (green for last 60 seconds) is useful, and does a similar thing, but it's not as visual. if a tiny chart on each ladder is plotting movements immediately, you can open a market and instantly see the immediate trends, not the long term ones, the very short term ones, which can quickly offer a trading opportunity as something turns around, and also when something is ending a trend and bottoming out, the chart goes horizontal instantly showing a static ladder.

Very useful. Can you trade without it? Yes of course, but if you traded with it, I bet you would love it! Besides, Bet Angel does lots of things lots of people don't use, i never automate anything, nor dutch or bookmake, but the fact Bet Angel can do it ALL, makes it what it is, the best trading software on the planet, hands down :)

I think this suggestion would only help keep that reputation, and I know for a fact it would definitely generate more users, just from the people I have known.
James1st

Isn't this just the same as using the Micro chart on the One Click Screen?

I would caution against altering the shape and size of the ladder(s) since it would mess up strategies that utilise multiple ladders adjacent to each other.
Woolfold

Hi

I agree with the Candlestick feature, which I find invaluable.
I know them as matchsticks, one for each tick movement, be it a green, red or yellow movement.
The green and yellow movements have green matchheads on the sticks, the red, red matchheads.
A glance at them is all the information needed to form a trading decision.
Please add them, Bet Angel. There is ample room on the ladder interface.

Woolfold
foxwood

Isn't this just the same as using the Micro chart on the One Click Screen
No - not the same - the matchsticks show LTP at time whereas the BA charts reflect price on offer which is meaningless when markets are moving around without any bets being placed.

However would be nice to have the micro chart or similar on each ladder entry as a panel at top/bottom of ladder rather than having to lose a ladder and move mouse over selections to see graphs.

The matchsticks are very useful and no need to worry about existing ladder layout problems - just make it an optional ladder column. OR make it an alternative graphing format for Advanced Charts and/or the Market Overview ?
kikikent2

I asked about candlesticks last year and was told there was no demand for them,as most traders use charts.At the moment its probably the most important thing missing from bet angel. Yes can we have candlsticks next to the ladders please just like most of your software competitors.
smoothoperator

I am really pleased to see the response to this little thread in such a short time. I haven't even got hold of my contacts yet to ask them to chip in with their support! It looks like someone may even have just registered here to show their support for the idea!

Just as was said above, the are invaluable for various things which other charts can't provide, reversals, new trends beginning, overall quick glance idea of which horses are turning around at certain resistance points, etc. All of this information CAN be obtained, if you stare at the volume bars for long enough to calculate it all, and maybe open the other graphs in pop ups, but in a split second none of that is doable and so the trades can't be taken in time.

I really have done everything in my power to replicate the same thing on BA with the current feeature-set. It is not possible. I did split testing, where I had GR (other software) open on one machine and BA open on my main one, then traded the same ladders in the same race, 60 seconds on one, 60 on the other. I did this for two entire days across many races. I found 5 times as many tradeable opportunities on the other software purely because of these matchsticks appearing right next to the LTP on the ladder LIVE. I also prevented red trades because if i was trading a swing/trend and it began to form a point of support or resistance, in BA I was waiting longer before realising this had happened, and then chasing up the ladder to close my trade and take the green, albeit less green. In the other program, I had trade after trade where I took the trend at the very beginning, and exited exactly at the right tick, taking twice as much green from the trade in many cases.

Like I said, I think if you could actually get all racing traders in a room (especially those NOT using bet angel) and put a vote to the room, you would be overwhelmed with how many people would be excitedly waving their hands at you! So many people know, like me, that no other program is as good as bet angel, they are all a very close second to it in every single way, EXCEPT this one!

PLEASE listen to us, I will make more money with bet angel with these matchsticks, I will lose less on losing trades, and I will ENJOY trading for a change, instead of using buggy inferior programs which don't suspend when the market goes in play, or crash for no apparent reason despite having less code behind them than BA!!

:)
Euler

I'm surprised that they are popular because they are really basic and don't seem to contain much information. The advanced charts are far more powerful. I guess because the matchsticks have been popularised everybody feels they are missing out by not having them.
to75ne

can someone explain what these sticks mean?

to me it seems a price is at its bottom trading at 5.3/5.4

770 and 212 available to be matched at those respective prices.

1.3k matched at its bottom of 5.3 and nothing as yet been matched lower than that 5.3

i assume the green colour on the amount matched column is the amounts that as been matched very recently and the volume, and the yellow colour is the amounts matched and the volume over some longer time frame.

so what do the sticks mean/show ? and what are they saying at the moment shown?

do they say price is same, rising, falling, volume increasing etc, what are they indicating and/or predicting.

thanks
Euler

From what I can make out, all they are doing is showing there the price traded. You can set up LTP on Bet Angel on the charts.
Euler

foxwood wrote:No - not the same - the matchsticks show LTP at time whereas the BA charts reflect price on offer which is meaningless when markets are moving around without any bets being placed.
That's incorrect. The charts on Bet Angel are custom configurable to show whatever you want. All mine are set up on LTP.
smoothoperator

I'm surprised that they are popular because they are really basic and don't seem to contain much information. The advanced charts are far more powerful. I guess because the matchsticks have been popularised everybody feels they are missing out by not having them.
Peter it seems like you are clearly resistant to this, no doubt because YOU don't feel any need for them, you have traded for many years and if what you are doing works, why change it? But this is not my point, my point is that MYSELF and MANY others do use this on other programs, and it DOES help make a lot more money for those who DO use these matchsticks. I could spend hours explaining to you and the other poster here what exactly they do which is unique, and how it impacts on every single trade, but I have to say I feel the resistance to the idea makes me think it is looking a bit futile. Remember BA is about trading, not trading your way. It has many features which are not used by probably every single trader. But that doesn't mean the features are not needed, they are what makes BA so powerful and appealing to the masses. I think this one thing, as an optional feature, would be the biggest jump you could make to being even MORE appealing to even more masses.

Much of it comes down to how you have your screen set up, and remember you probably have a lot more screens to stick chart windows than most. Also, I assume you open one of BA's lovely charts on the one runner you are trading or looking at trading. With GR, you can see a very narrow but RECENT chart of the most recent tick movements for ALL ladders. I use this (as do others) to support a decision about trading the favourite or second favourite. I have videos I could share showing this in action, where there were 3 horses coming in so i was laying the favourite. in BA i would have lost, but in Gr I won, BECAUSE i saw instantly when all 3 other runners hit a bottom of range and turned one tick upwards, counter to their previous trend. In this case I immediately exited my lay of the favourite, and as all 3 others turned up another tick, I reversed and backed the favourite. A nice ten tick trade because I was in BEFORE the favourite reacted to those three horses reversing.

This is simply not possible in BA, so making it an option for the many people who I know would use it (and the even more who I dont know, but who would also use it) seems a very simple and wise decision for a software program designed to be the best, and which is the best. Considering how many bells and whistles BA has (more than I could ever even understand let alone use!), it seems crazy not to have this. It isn't a bell or whistle, its a fundamental indicator for a certain type of trading. And if trading on one screen, a laptop for example, Gr is the only program which makes this type of trading even possible. I hate to say that, as I hate the other programs, and have been a BA lover for 7 or 8 years now! But as this is my bread and butter earning, I can't let emotional attachment to BA override the functional benefit of those matchsticks in GR for making my trades more profitable and my losses much reduced.

PLEASE set aside your lack of vision for how this could be useful to YOU, and believe me and others that it would be one of the biggest additions to BA for a very long time! :)

Return to “Suggestions”