Minimising CPU usage

User to User support only. For technical support visit www.betangel.com/support/
richbeales

I've got an underpowered PC to act as a betfair bot using Guardian + Excel. I'm trying to minimise BetAngel.exe's CPU usage and after some tips on how to do so.

With BetAngel open with a suspended horse market (i.e. no updates happening), and Guardian open with a day's racing, but only 2 markets refreshing (restrict refresh on), with a 5 second refresh time, I'm seeing CPU use of 60-70%. This use even continues when it set Guardian to 'paused'.

Are there any settings I should tweak or any reason for the constant CPU if BetAngel isn't even refreshing any markets? The PC is usable for what I need, I'm just trying to reduce fan noise :-)

Thanks
Derek27

My laptop was overheating in the summertime. I reduced the speed under power options - advanced settings - processor power management (that reduces maximum speed, not CPU usage for a specific app) and it's been working fine with no noticeable loss of speed or functionality. You can also change the priority of a task in task manager but I've never experimented or had need to do so, so I don't know what effect that would have.
richbeales

Thanks, yes I've done that, i was just interested in what BetAngel might be doing with it's CPU, and whether any settings under the 'communication' heading might help or hinder me?
spock

richbeales wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:24 pm
Thanks, yes I've done that, i was just interested in what BetAngel might be doing with it's CPU, and whether any settings under the 'communication' heading might help or hinder me?
Hi Rich I don't have a "techie " answer, but I just used a vacuum cleaner to clean out the airways. Worked for me with a steam powered Toshiba.
LinusP

Are you using streaming? That should dramatically reduce CPU.
richbeales

This is my connection settings :
connection tuner = 10
exchange streaming ticked
background = 5 seconds
smoothing = medium
diagnostics = off

It's a new (but underpowered - deliberately it was cheap) PC so no dust issues, just exploring why the CPU is high when not much happening
richbeales

After some more playing, it seems that having a market in guardian uses CPU even when it's not being refreshed? Now it's the end of the day (i.e. uk horse markets closed and removed), the CPU has dropped drastically?
Restrict refresh doesn't seem to be the complete answer?
sa7med

richbeales wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:06 pm
After some more playing, it seems that having a market in guardian uses CPU even when it's not being refreshed? Now it's the end of the day (i.e. uk horse markets closed and removed), the CPU has dropped drastically?
Restrict refresh doesn't seem to be the complete answer?
If you're using excel, that will definitely add to the load on your CPU, and in older CPUs that'll keep your fan busy. If the fan noise is bothering you, you may want to consider getting a VPS. At 25 pounds or so a month it's worth it in my opinion, especially when you consider what you'll be saving on electricity costs and wear and tear on your gear. Not to mention the noise pollution you'll be avoiding!
Derek27

I like the sound of my PC fan. :)

Return to “Support”