Dealing with the bad day

Trading is often about how to take the appropriate risk without exposing yourself to very human flaws.
stueytrader

Great posts, both above too.

And Green Giant - wow, there are some tough things in there, so well done on getting back on track for sure.

I do sense the theme of physical exercise as a key feature in many of these replies. Just to update, I took stock last night, and began again today very calmly - had a steady day of trading so far with a sensible profit. That's good enough for me today.
stueytrader

Had to highlight this sentence you wrote Green Giant - excellent:

You cannot change the impulse part of a habit but you can change the resulting action of that impulse.

I use that thought not to chase.
The dog of ry

I have a 'little black book' in my top drawer. It's just a diary, with a yearly planner page. Every day when I finish, I make myself fill out the day, with either my profit or loss. Profits are highlighted yellow, losing days are highlighter pink. When I first started, it was a real mixture of yellow's and pink's. As time has gone by, It is noticeably more yellow, and I now have 'runs' of yellow days.

Even when I have to finish a day with the pink felt tip pen, I still see a lot of yellow and that seems to take the edge off.

If I have a couple of losing day's I always start to question my ability, but to be able to see success in such a simple way really helps. Hope you can find a trick that works too, best of luck
giulio2010

I cannot teach what to do after a bad day, we all have a different sentivity but I can tell you that a double portion of spaghetti was doing the job for me..I was fortunat not to put weight though!!
One day my mentor told me: I dont mean to be disrespectful and by any means please don't think I am treating you like a stupid person but let me ask you a question...
Is it better to have zero euro on your account tomorrow or 1 euro on your account tomorrow? I have thought, ok she thinks I am stupid :lol: and I have replied, 1 euro of course..she said, ok so stick with the plan then.
She meant the bank management and the rules we discussed before approaching the game. Of course depending of the market..In horses thinks can change quite fast so you need to bend some rules, in Football is more straight forward, in other words the statistics are quite accurate year in and year out. Like this you have a bigger picture in mind and start look for bad year or good year not anymore a bad day or a good day..
P.S. I still love spaghetti a lot :lol:
stueytrader

The dog of ry wrote:I have a 'little black book' in my top drawer. It's just a diary, with a yearly planner page. Every day when I finish, I make myself fill out the day, with either my profit or loss. Profits are highlighted yellow, losing days are highlighter pink. When I first started, it was a real mixture of yellow's and pink's. As time has gone by, It is noticeably more yellow, and I now have 'runs' of yellow days.

Even when I have to finish a day with the pink felt tip pen, I still see a lot of yellow and that seems to take the edge off.

If I have a couple of losing day's I always start to question my ability, but to be able to see success in such a simple way really helps. Hope you can find a trick that works too, best of luck
Like that approach - I have something similar in looking back further when I have a bad run, so that hopefully I can always see that I'm making profits if I look back enough beyond an especially bad day or few days. I think that does help. Of course, it's more difficult when you have a really bad day - may need to look back further for the profits then.
stueytrader

giulio2010 wrote: Like this you have a bigger picture in mind and start look for bad year or good year not anymore a bad day or a good day..
P.S. I still love spaghetti a lot :lol:
Yep, I think this sums that up well. :)
walker1222

I like to think that by losing will make me pick the next selection better and then if the next selection goes on to be a high win, i can relax knowing it was the lose that made me pick the win ;)
walker1222

I like to think that by losing will make me pick the next selection better and then if the next selection goes on to be a high win, i can relax knowing it was the lose that made me pick the win ;)
stueytrader

Nice idea, I might try that one out when I'm down.

Return to “Trading Psychology”