US Presidential Election 2020

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
jamesg46

gazuty wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:49 am
Good article - Police violence the rush to judgement - https://quillette.com/2020/09/08/police ... -judgment/
Are you on the side of social justice or are you on the side of racial oppression. This is the exact place that millions of people found themselves in over night & if you didn't take part in putting a black square as your profile picture, then assumptions were made. We lost friends over not doing that.

I couldn't put myself or my family in a situation that sees people through colour, I have massive issues when people refer to someone as "that black lad" or "that white guy" of course there is more to it than just those two examples but ffs how hard is it to use their name instead of colour.

Racism exists inside of every culture & through integration with younger generations, society was slowly but surely winning the fight. I have seen first hand racist jokes, memes and comments come from the older generations around me (from multiple ethnic backgrounds) but the younger generation go to school and are friends with people that have come from all around the world, they don't see the other children as "that Polish guy" or that "black kid" they see them as friends & i will not participate in something that changes this outlook.

BLM changes that for me & imo its nothing more than an attempt to fan what was smoulder back into a bonfire & political parties that support it are only doing so because they see the movement as a train to political gain, but what they've actually done is made racial tensions worse and there is no back tracking, you cant fight racism with racism.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lutruwita

LeTiss wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:19 am
I genuinely fear what's happening in USA, because you can see it spreading here

The Black Live Matter movement isn't bringing down the barriers of racism at all. It's doing the opposite, it's creating divisions, race wars, and even soft versions of Apartheid.......we have proposals for black only universities, and job quotas (especially on TV.....despite the nation being officially 82% white). The list goes on

This will not lead to harmony. Anything but
Exactly. It's insanity and very disturbing.
firlandsfarm

What really annoys me is that the anti-racism policies are racist. Take the Sasha Johnson tweet above if the roles were reversed and a white person had said that about black people they would immediately be shouted down and labelled racist.
Last edited by firlandsfarm on Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trader Pat

I think its important to remember that people like Sasha Johnson don't speak for the majority of black people in the UK no more than Tommy Robinson speaks for the majority of white people.

It's always easy to cherry pick tweets and twitter accounts that back up whatever point you're trying to make.

For the record I agree with most on here that the whole 'movement' has gone way too far now and has turned into a giant politicised bandwagon.
Derek27

Trader Pat wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:00 pm
I think its important to remember that people like Sasha Johnson don't speak for the majority of black people in the UK no more than Tommy Robinson speaks for the majority of white people.

It's always easy to cherry pick tweets and twitter accounts that back up whatever point you're trying to make.

For the record I agree with most on here that the whole 'movement' has gone way too far now and has turned into a giant politicised bandwagon.
+1, that's exactly what I was going to say. Don't even know who Sasha Johnson is, she's not one of my former girlfriends. :)
jamesg46

Trader Pat wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:00 pm

I dont think it was suggested that Sasha speaks for a majority.

Next time I try to find a tweet that backs up my point that you cant fight racism with racism, ill try not to cherry pick a leader within the movement that was being discussed, you're right, it was rather easy to do that. I'm such a lazy git :lol:

Its massively politicised & its also pretty damn scary, my daughter has just started high school and like already mentioned, school was a place where colour probably wasn't what 99% of kids were talking about... they didn't care but guess whats been all over the Internet while millions of kids have been off school with their faces planted into an ipad 10 hours a day for months. Once its on the school yard it becomes a school issue, massive strides backwards imo.
Trader Pat

jamesg46 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:36 pm
Next time I try to find a tweet that backs up my point that you cant fight racism with racism, ill try not to cherry pick a leader within the movement that was being discussed, you're right, it was rather easy to do that. I'm such a lazy git :lol:
Yes work harder :D
jamesg46

Trader Pat wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:59 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:36 pm
Yes work harder :D
:lol: tbf, my personal opinion in response to that article written, is a little off topic. I think their is a tiny part of it effecting the election but my personal opinion would probably be better off in my own head.
Vaz0202

So Trump has been nominated for the Nobel peace prize.

Bet he can’t wait to wheel that out in a campaign. Do we think this will have any influence?
Derek27

Vaz0202 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:36 pm
So Trump has been nominated for the Nobel peace prize.

Bet he can’t wait to wheel that out in a campaign. Do we think this will have any influence?
He might get the prize for medicine if his disinfectant idea takes off.
Naffman

God bless you virtue signalling NFL, that's another boost for Trump's campaign
Naffman

Paul definitely isn't biased :lol: :lol:
bfpolwriter.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vaz0202

Some professor was on LBC with Iain Dale and claims Trump will lose in November.

This professor has called every US election since the 80’s.

To paraphrase ’The Thick Of It’, are LBC finding the ‘right’ experts?
wearthefoxhat

Vaz0202 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:41 am
Some professor was on LBC with Iain Dale and claims Trump will lose in November.

This professor has called every US election since the 80’s.

To paraphrase ’The Thick Of It’, are LBC finding the ‘right’ experts?
That reminds me...

paul.jpg
gazuty

Latest episode of The Circus very intresting - https://www.sho.com/the-circus-inside-t ... w-on-earth

Focused on postal ballots and made the point (also made earlier in the thread) about a strong performance by Trump on election night, to possibly be eroded by mail in ballots.

As avid US political students no doubt knnow - each State does it differently with different procedures. Some states like Colorado are a well oiled machine on postal votes, others not so much and some don't allow postal votes.

Also very relevant for trading is the possiblity of legal challenges from either side, a la Florida, if the result is close enough - Trump rhetoric clearly laying the ground work for this.

Return to “Political betting & arguing”