What do you do in between markets you don't trade?

The sport of kings.
Korattt

Just fired up guardian & at the moment there's maybe only 13 markets I'm looking to get involved in today, (barring Wolverhampton), what do you guys do to stay focused when there's say an hour to two hours gap between markets?
northbound

I do a few things:

- £2 experiments on greyhound or other horse racing markets.
- Digging into historical data to backtest random ideas that pop into my head.
- Watch or read trading related stuff
jjrrjj

I carry on learning to code. Currently gone back to javascript after a few years out of the loop. Need a backup plan if this trading malarkey does not go to plan.
ShaunWhite

Korattt wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:09 pm
what do you guys do to stay focused when there's say an hour to two hours gap between markets?
Why would you need to be focused when there's no need to be? Save it for when you need it. Optimal focus is achieved with 45 min sessions and 15 min breaks allegedly.

Sports psychology stuff makes interesting reading if you're bored with the usual psych stuff. Eg concentration is longer and deeper the more confident you are (explains a hell of a lot! ) and early risers slump in the afternoons.

There's a lot of stuff about loss acceptance etc etc etc but focus is king of them all imo. Focus is the wall that keeps the inner chimp from getting too involved with what you're doing. Use it wisely because supply is limited.
Trader Pat

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:26 pm
There's a lot of stuff about loss acceptance etc etc etc but focus is king of them all imo.
Amen to that
ruthlessimon

It's not just about being focused. It's about knowing what to focus on.

If I'm playing tennis, I need to focus on the player's movement & shot selection - (gives me a real edge). If I devote my entire focus to the ballgirl, I'm getting smashed (literally). Yeah, I'm focused, but not where it matters.

If a trader devotes 100% of his focus at the overground figures, noting down the times it hit 100% in all 30 races (without making one error). Yeah, I'd say he was pretty focused. But was it worth the focus?
ruthlessimon

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:26 pm
There's a lot of stuff about loss acceptance
I just wish there was a more contrarian approach to biases, as there is with trading! One would assume aversion to risk is the only one!!

ruthlessimon

If Peter ever thinks he's lacking video material - just pick one from the codex, with solutions explained in a trading context! ;)
Derek27

Korattt wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:09 pm
Just fired up guardian & at the moment there's maybe only 13 markets I'm looking to get involved in today, (barring Wolverhampton), what do you guys do to stay focused when there's say an hour to two hours gap between markets?
An hour to two hours gap!!!

I struggle with a twenty minute gap between low liquidity races that you can't trade till near the off, but with two hours I would forget about trading and do the shopping, housework, etc. The two hour gap between US and Aussie racing gives me the opportunity to cook something nice and eat it instead of sitting in front of my computer stuffing my gob with ready food. :D
neld0r

read trading books/blogs/etc.
ShaunWhite

ruthlessimon wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:59 pm
It's not just about being focused. It's about knowing what to focus on.
I just meant that you can read 1000 books and have a great plan, but if you're not 'in the zone' and using it then it's no use to you.
Especially before all that stuff eventually goes to autopilot.
wearthefoxhat

If there's a 1 or 2 hour gap I'd consider "switch off" mode. Similar to a computer reset;

"clearing any pending errors or events in a data transmission system and bringing the system to normal condition or an initial state."

Maybe a form of meditation...(beats sitting around doing nothing)...
mjmorris335

I pick up the guitar and noodle a bit. I find giving the brain something different to think about helps me to come back refreshed.

Mike
gutuami

the 15min is the maximum I can afford. other than that is a day off
ShaunWhite

wearthefoxhat wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:16 am
Maybe a form of meditation...(beats sitting around doing nothing)...
:lol:

Return to “Trading Horse racing”