General indicators for Scalping Vs Swing?

The sport of kings.
followthatcamel

Hi guys, currently trying to get my head around whether it really is possible when looking at a "market" 4-5 hours before the off to determine if it looks like being a good opportunity for swing trading or will require more of a scalping approach. I know there are indicators you can review when looking at the days racing cards, i.e. location, type of race,grade, no. of runners, current prices/liquidity, market volume % of fancied runners, book overround etc... but still struggling to put these (or any others that are available?), into some kind of matrix that will give a general/typical indication of what you may expect from a particular market?

Any hints or advice would be most welcome.
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

I know it's not the answer you were looking for but this afternoon looks like a day for scalping.
andyfuller

Bet Angel wrote:I know it's not the answer you were looking for but today looks like a day for scalping.
Any chance on you expanding on that, sure it would help him/her if you were to say why you thought 'today looks like a day for scalping'
LeTiss

I think it partly comes with experience

I predominately trade on football, and there are often strong indications for a good swing opportunity

There was one yesterday morning - Tenerife

I backed them at 2.68 & eventually layed them at 2.44
Cran

I just can't seem to find any swing opportunities at all today... :mrgreen:

Quinny

also why my posts are being deleted
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

According to the admin panel nobody has deleted any posts recently. If you give us more information we can check more specifically for you.
Quinny

fine
followthatcamel

First of all thanks to everyone who has posted a reply. I'll keep trying to spot the criteria and the appropriate circumstances by taking screen shots at regular intervals leading up to the off.

As with everything associated with trading, there's no escape from putting the hours in and working hard to gain what everyone refers to as "experience" in order to be successful.

Can't wait for my "matrix moment" as I call it. It's from the scene towards the end of the original film when Neo stands up and looks down the corridor at the 3 agents. All he sees is the green scrolling of numbers being generated from the Matrix, and at that moment you know that he is "in the zone" and will prevail.

Regards
Doug :)
Monstrs

Hi,

one good indicator of swing vs scalping is betfair generated Price and Volume graphs. If the trend is stable after the volume bars start to rise then this will most probably be a scalping market.

However if the trend starts to lean to one side after the volume starts arriving (some 30 min before the off or closer)there is a good chance for a swing trade.

I suggest you have to analyse at least three to six top runners' prices to make a careful guess about this. I do not think it is possible to "read" this 5 h before the off, because one can assume that only small percentage of volume has arrived and the given price may not reflect the opinion of the "fair" SP of general masses.

At least these are my observations.

cheers,

M
followthatcamel

M, thanks for the input, I'll definately include this criteria as part of my "homework".

Regards
Doug

Return to “Trading Horse racing”