One Man's Meat.....

The sport of kings.
Predicton

I read with interest the Betangel Blog regarding last night Wolverhampton meeting. I've noticed in the past the propensity for large on-course moves for up to four horses in a race, at Wolverhampton. I've never been able to make up my mind whether or not it's just the weak betting market, or if there really are lots of fancied horses sent there.

I'm always very cautious there and only managed one trade. It did help reduce my losses on my first losing day since Nov 19th (something of a triumph that run of 16 days)

Ah well, as the post title says..........
mick the trader

It is not correct to assume that alot of fancied horses are sent to Wolverhampton.The on course market is so so weak it does not take alot (a few hundred quid in the right places) to completely screw the market.Be very very careful and dont get sucked into the many "gambles" that happen there.They are not real.Worst track in the country with the worst horses.
BBB123

Wolverhampton is one of the weakest on course markets,very few bookies & not easy to get on.We were once refused £100 e/w on a 12/1 shot & were offered only £20 e/w at that price :shock:

Nice fish & chips in the town though & don't forget 'Flares' nightclub ;)

Ben
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

It's generally the lower grade races that throw up these moves. You can get everyone right for sure but if you get in on a big trend then following it and setting a stop loss a fair few ticks below it will produce big rewards. Just make sure you don't get out too early. Trends like these tend to be self reinforcing.
JollyGreen

You can look at almost any midweek meeting and it will have a weak market. Wolverhampton is unfortunate in that the bookmakers can sometimes outnumber the punters :o That's a shame because it is actually a good setup with a hotel on the complex and a great bar/restaurant area.

To show how easy it is to affect a price, I managed to do it all on my own one day at Hereford. I was trying to show my wife how to pick a fit horse. We chose the same two in a hunter chase so decided to bet the biggest priced of them.

The prices varied as we walked along the bookmakers and then we saw two who had 40/1 chalked up. I had £25 e/w at 40/1 with the first one and the bookmaker accepted the bet without a fuss. The other bookmaker immediately scrubbed off the 40/1 and put up 20/1 :? :? I questioned his methods but he was having none of it. Then a few punters who saw this taking place stepped forward and had a few £5 e/w bets and before you knew it there was a drastic reduction in the price. Had I been sat in front of my TV I am sure the commentator (The Racing Channel in those days) would have been saying "there's a gamble going on at Hereford" when actually it was just me and the wife having £25 e/w on a long shot who looked well and had some half decent form.

BTW this was pre-Betfair days!!

Return to “Trading Horse racing”