Retrospective bans for diving

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
marksmeets302

No diving without padi certifications!
ShaunWhite

The problem with this is that it will penalise weaker teams.
They would have been better off doing something more radical like tv replays and a sin bin or a second ref. A sin bin should be used to stop all that ridiculous arguing with the ref. Very few other sports tollerate that sort of behaviour.
mjmorris335

For the first time in my life I've had a feeling that I'm beginning to fall out of love with football, and I speak as someone who, as a 10 year old, regularly went to Old Trafford on my own and saw all the greats.

Not just Charlton, Best and Law, but Jimmy Greaves, Billy Bremner, Martin Peters, Bobby Moore, Colin Bell, Geoff Hurst... these people were from another planet to a wide-eyed kid like me. I thought Bobby Charlton was only two down from God, and I still would if I hadn't become an atheist at 11.

It was hard football, played by men. Alright, not as technical as today or as quick maybe, but they didn't go down like they were shot if they got breathed on. I vividly remember George Best getting clattered all over the shop but, most of the time, he just got up, yelled for the ball and then made the defender who'd clattered him look like a complete and utter tit.

I remember a United youngster diving in the box and him being booed by the Stretford End! These days it's applauded. Surrounding the ref, effing and blinding, it's just embarrassing. You can see kids doing the same thing in the park today.

The FA and Premier League won't do anything about it because they're a bunch of toothless tigers too interested in keeping their own nest feathered.

They are only interested in money and I think this is why the culture has changed so much. There is so much at stake these days that managers, coaches and senior players will all be saying, "If you feel a touch, go down, grab your ankle, knee, face or whatever... and scream like a girl."

So what's to be done? A retrospective ban is a start, but the only way to stop players doing it is to hit them where it really hurts; in the pocket. A fine based on a percentage of their monthly salary say, will ensure that the upper echelon and the journeymen will have an equal incentive not to behave like bloody four year olds having a paddy. A fine for the business side of the clubs would help to concentrate minds as well.

It's only going to get worse until someone with clout has the balls to start the debate. I only hope that time arrives before I switch off for good...

Mike

Return to “Football trading”