Masters 2013

JollyGreen

Euler wrote:ESPN reporting that Tiger Woods will take a two-shot penalty for an illegal drop on 15 yesterday.
So he took the two shot penalty or he will take the two shot penalty. If it's the latter then he will be Disqualified as he would have signed for an incorrect scorecard.
OnGoldWires

2 shot penalty!!!! :?:
Consty1

Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak 1m
Tiger Woods given a two-shot penalty at the Masters but not disqualified after an incorrect drop shot in Second Round

Make of that what you will.
JollyGreen

It's a bloody disgrace that's what it is. Like I said, 1 rule for Tiger and another for the rest. I have never heard of a retrospective penalty in Golf, you sign for the incorrect score and you are disqualified.

It makes a mockery of the game! I hope he has a 'mare in rounds 3 and 4, makes me sick to my stomach! :evil: :evil:
Euler

Going to open up an opportunity for somebody though. Should be an interesting third day.
PeterLe

A rule is a rule; should be disqualified imho
I just wondered how it will affect Tiger mentally, if at all??

Think I traded out too early after the cut as well! :roll:
OnGoldWires

They've fudged it!!!

The penalty they have applied is for players who have unintentionally played from the wrong position. They have evidence that Mr Woods played from the wrong position intentionally AND benefitted from that intention.

If the decision stands, they are going to find it hard to DQ the next player that signs the wrong card -unless it is Mr Woods.
JollyGreen

It's a complete fudge up although I could use other words!

I don't care if it's Tiger Woods or Tony the Tiger you sign an incorrect card you get DQd!!

As OnGoldenWires said Tiger admitted on TV he dropped it back two yards to help him yet they bottle it and say it was unintentional.

I wasn't trading it and I wasn't going to but now I also won't watch the rest of the tournament.
JollyGreen

Well if you need further proof that this is a complete load of bollocks and fudge up then here is the official statement. I have highlighted in red the important parts which proves the officials knew of the infringement prior to completion of Tiger's round. That makes it even more of a farce because the official should've told Tiger of the issue and he should've added the shot to his score. I think Tiger is lucky that Mr Magoo made the decision as highlighted in Blue! If he had complied with the rules then why has he now been penalised a further shot?

It's a sad day for Golf!

Augusta National issued the following statement on Saturday's ruling:
“Yesterday afternoon, the Rules Committee was made aware of a possible Rules violation that involved a drop by Tiger Woods on the 15th hole.
“In preparation for his fifth shot, the player dropped his ball in close proximity to where he had played his third shot in apparent conformance with Rule 26. After being prompted by a television viewer, the Rules Committee reviewed a video of the shot while he was playing the 18th hole. At that moment and based on that evidence, the Committee determined he had complied with the Rules.
“After he signed his scorecard, and in a television interview subsequent to the round, the player stated that he played further from the point than where he had played his third shot. Such action would constitute playing from the wrong place.
“The subsequent information provided by the player’s interview after he had completed play warranted further review and discussion with him this morning. After meeting with the player, it was determined that he had violated Rule 26, and he was assessed a two-stroke penalty. The penalty of disqualification was waived by the Committee under Rule 33 as the Committee had previously reviewed the information and made its initial determination prior to the finish of the player’s round.”
steven1976

I'm thinking back to when I use to play golf to scratch level and I must admit seeing what tiger did, I recon i did it myself. I never thought of myself as a cheat but I guess I was.

I bet most other golfers have also done it when there has been a big fat sand filled divert right next to where you took your shot and you have the divert you just took yourself and you drop it an extra foot away from where you took the last shot.

Even the ruling with the young lad, i bet he didnt even know the rules. I bet he was chasing up the fairways to get to his ball first before crenshaw thinking he was doing his best for slow play, but then taking to long actually once he pulls his club out the bag. When actually, I dont think you can get done for walking slow up the fairway. Your only timed on your shot if Im correct in which you are allowed 40 seconds I think?
JollyGreen

Steven1976 Same here, I was off scratch for a while and I caddied on the European Satellite Tour in Africa. If as you say there is a sand filled divot then obviously you must have just missed it on your previous shot. It is therefore quite legitimate for you to drop your ball slightly away from the sand filled divot provided it is close to your original position. So 6" or even a foot would be deemed acceptable but two yards would not!

You could drop the ball and it could roll 6" but provided it is not to your advantage you would deem the ball in play.

This decision sucks because they knew of a possible violation prior to Tiger completing his round. So in that instance they should have informed the official accompanying the players of the issue. That would allow them to make a decision before he signed his card. Instead they said nothing to the accompanying rules official and simply said he had not violated the rules! Well that's just bollocks! Then they look again and decide to give him an extra 1 shot penalty. So I infer from that he was in violation of rule 26 and more importantly he was fully aware of his actions as he admitted it in his post round interview.
steven1976

Its at what point becomes acceptable is my point Im making? I know he has took it to 2 yards but Im saying we have all done it to a certain extent to gain a better lie without thinking we are cheating. Not saying he is right, but these guys including tiger in the whole are pretty honest.

I occasionally caddie for a friend of mine on the Asian tour and you should see some of the drops over here. They drop and flick their wrists out so it travels about 20 yards up the fairway. I saw one lad hole is drop once! hehe
JollyGreen

It's quite simple, you must drop the ball as close as possible to the original position and no stretch of the imagination would make 2 yards acceptable or as close as possible.

It's okay though it's all been explained to me; the paying customers had waited years to see Tiger...oh okay that makes sense!!
Euler

Quite a lot of early birdies for the current staters. Langer off to a flier with birdes on 1,2 & 3. My trading has finished, just watching now.
JollyGreen

Well I decided to watch tonight after all and it's looking like a tight finish. If Lee Westwood could putt like Snedeker or Stricker he'd have a green jacket already!

Return to “Trading Golf”