Joshua Vs Parker

Naffman

I think this has proved AJ is far from unbeatable
jamdog

What a strange fight. I had it 115-113 for AJ who was very conservative. The ref was a calamity – reminded me of the Benn-McClellan guy. Parker was a lot better than I thought - disciplined and quite dangerous at times. I hope he gets a crack at the winner of Haye-Bellew - very classy in defeat.
Naffman

I agree Parker has gained a lot of respect from me after this fight but he still just doesn't have the power to knock the better guys out

Can't see AJ fighting Wilder next, funny how Whyte is calling out povetkin cos you'd think the latter as a mandatory would be fighting AJ?

Still can't believe the wife margin points decision though, I think Hearn has a lot more power than we think he does
jamdog

Naffman wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:53 am
Still can't believe the wife margin points decision though, I think Hearn has a lot more power than we think he does
Absolutely. If that was two regular fighters it would have quite likely been a split decision. I got the feeling from the post fight interview AJ knows he's the cash cow and that every close round will go to him on the cards. He can make himself and his people an insane amount of money the next few years - photogenic, articulate, exciting, plays well in Europe and Africa. I hope he does.

I liked the look of Povetkin last night. He hasn't lost much speed and is still crafty. Could definitely cause Joshua problems.
wearthefoxhat

A.J. might have his head turned by the £500 million Dana White "Super Boxing" promotion offer.

£18 million on the line against these other bums may not cut it.
Black Ice

AJ not worthy to shine Mohammed Ali's boxing boots...nor most of his opponents either. That was a truly golden age for the heavyweight fight game. MA far and away the greatest sportsman of my lifetime and beats AJ hands down for charisma too. Shan't be paying another 20quid to see any more of the sky sports hoop-la...just all a media circus for a very moderate heavyweight. Mind you...he will earn squillions & good luck to him! Anyone not old enough on here to have seen Ali...and L Piggott too in their prime...I feel genuinely sorry for you!...you have no idea what you missed!! :) btw totally agree comments re ref...disgraceful siding with the AJ camp.
Trader Pat

Lots of comments I agree with, I watched the fight from a pub with no sound. Its amazing what you 'see' when you dont have comms talking through their backside. Should be an option that Sky introduce to mute comms completely would be very welcome on football matches :)

Ref was out of his depth and so was Parker to an extent, he put up a good fight but saying afterwards that he was beaten by the better champion, not something boxers of old would ever have said even if it was true.

As I said on here the other day Eddie Hearn already has too much power and its very telling to me that Joshua said after the fight he has no interest in going to America, Wilder will have to go to the UK... When was the last time you heard a British fighter saying that? I can see negotiations about a AJ - Wilder fight turning into Mayweather - Pacquiao. Hearn will blame Wilders demands and in the mean time AJ will fight the bums of the heavyweight division, Klitchsko 2.0

Hope I'm proved wrong :D
Naffman

I said yesterday Povetkin might just be too old but going on his last 2 fights and considering how AJ fought it wouldn't surprise me if he beat him - I'm sure Hearn will keep him away from AJ and I bet his next fight doesn't involve someone in the top 5 (maybe Andy Ruiz or Miller?)
Trader Pat

Canelo pulls out of GGG fight!

The only fight I was looking forward to in 2018 :x
jamdog

Trader Pat wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:19 pm
Canelo pulls out of GGG fight!

The only fight I was looking forward to in 2018 :x
You're not thrilled by Spike O'Sullivan, the rumoured replacement? ;)

UFC 223 at the weekend have got in Max Holloway to replace Tony Ferguson who I think is a brilliant sub. Never thought I'd say it but UFC do quite a few things way better than boxing.
Trader Pat

jamdog wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:15 pm
UFC 223 at the weekend have got in Max Holloway to replace Tony Ferguson who I think is a brilliant sub. Never thought I'd say it but UFC do quite a few things way better than boxing.
Not a fan of UFC but I know what you mean. From what I understand its generally easier to make the big fights than boxing where its really all in the hands of the promoters and governing bodies, which is a shame as there are so many decent fighters in the world who'll never get a chance because they have no profile. Instead we have to look at crap like Dillian Whyte against the Doorman and Povetkin against David Price. UFC also it gives its fans what they want.. knockouts, blood and brutality!
trader44

i am a fan of the ufc .its great holloway stepped in to save the card.really cant see him beating khabib the guy is 25-0 and just relentless with his ground game. will be backing khabib :D
jamdog

Not a fan of UFC but I know what you mean. From what I understand its generally easier to make the big fights than boxing where its really all in the hands of the promoters and governing bodies, which is a shame as there are so many decent fighters in the world who'll never get a chance because they have no profile.
Very much so. It's a young sport very keen to prove itself and no one is allowed to coast and feast on a diet of bums. The undercards are way more entertaining than boxing and there's loads of intriguing matchups around.
i am a fan of the ufc .its great holloway stepped in to save the card.really cant see him beating khabib the guy is 25-0 and just relentless with his ground game. will be backing khabib :D
Yeah, Holloway's a lovely fighter but Khabib is a wrecking ball. Shame Holloway's had to drop out but there are tons of great fights at the event. Rooting for Thug Rose.

Return to “Boxing”