Data Requests

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
taxbreaks1

Is anyone else having problems with Betfair and data requests at the moment? Request is limited to 20 yet, apparently I am regularly requesting in excess of 20!

I do not have soccer mystic open or two accounts etc.

Any ideas?
followthatcamel

Hi, I had a similar instance a couple of weeks ago on the morning of the London marathon. I received an email from Betfair saying I had exceeded allowance (avg 35 per second)for about an hour or so? I checked my settings and they were below 20 (19)?

Only thing I can think of is that I had recently downloaded what was then the latest version of BA and loaded the mens and womens races onto guardian. Even though this should not have made any difference as my setting was below 20, I can only think in some way it may have contributed?

I have since downloaded the most recent version of BA (1.21.1) and have data requests set at 14 for desktop and 5 for the laptop backup I have been using these settings for over a week or so and have not received any further emails from betfair.

Rgds :|
taxbreaks1

Thanks for your reply I have been running guardian on version 1.21.1 and that is when the problem started is it a coincident? I hope so as a great piece of kit!
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

Betfair use requests from all sources not just Bet Angel, therefore if you have any application open, including just a web page pointed at Betfair it will count to your data usage charges. That's where it trips most people up.

We have tried to highlight to Betfair this issue as they really should display somewhere what your current usage is, but it seems there isn't enough pressure as they don't look like implementing this anytime soon.

Bet Angel is limited to whatever number you put in so it can't exceed that, including Gaurdian. You can add a million markets to Guardian and your main data usage will not matter.
followthatcamel

Taxbreaks, totally agree about BA being the best and I suspect that as BA have commented, it is due to betfair usage that puts you over the allowance.

I certainly think this is what must have happened to me as I was logged into my account at Betfair at the time.

I regularly have my account in Betfair open whilst using BA. I just have the main screen open most of the time to see what "in play" events are running, but I do make data requests (P&L) now and then.

BA, any ideas as to what Betfair consider "data usage" for just looking at their website?

I realise that Guardian controls the amount of data requested, but is there an "optimum" refresh rate that should be used to ensure that all the data being requested per second is complete given that it is being requested more than once per second, i.e. by using refresh rates below one second?

Also would it affect the data being viewed "in play" if I have several markets open in Guardian?

Regards
:)
taxbreaks1

Thanks for the replies does this include even if you are not signed into the web site - it is one of my home pages!
taxbreaks1

From the Betfair website this includes P/L requests -

Market and private data requests made through the website are weighted 2. If you're using the website manually with a mouse, you shouldn't be affected by this charging scheme.

Hope this helps you.
DesrAw

I just got an email from betfair about data requests aswell. I'm new to BA, and yesterday was the first day of me using guardian, so somehow I guess this affected the no. of data requests.

Where do I change data request settings in BA?
PeterLe

Hi
The data requests is in the Rules tab, bottom right
Thanks
Peter
DesrAw

Thank you!

I guess I will try and leave it at 19, and them not have betfair open on a marked.
Cran

I have betfair open in the web all the time as well as Bet Angel with no problem and I don't use guardian.

I'm not saying there is a problem with guardian, but most (maybe all) the posts I've seen about excessive requests mention guardian, so it might be possible there is a bug?
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

There is no known bug in Guardian. The way we have built Bet Angel makes it impossible for it to request more than the set number of data requests. That fact aside Guardian does not need to make the same level of requests as the core market you are looking at.

Bet Angel is built on two levels, a user interface and a data manager. It is the data manager that controls how it interacts with Betfair, so no matter how many time the user interface calls one specific instance of the data manager it can't exceed the calls.

We have moved the other thread on this into this area of the forum so you can see what discussions are taking place. Typically people are finding a background copy of Bet Angel is running which is causing double data charges.

Return to “Betfair exchange”