''You could trade 36 races instead of one Tennis match''

The sport of kings.
crossing_along

" There is no point in watching a Tennis match hoping to cut a small profit if during that time you could have watched 36 races "

I think this statement stands up "yes and no" because its much easier to trade a tennis match where you have to deal with only 2 players and your profit depends on how they play ,while trading pre race horses its a different story because we trade against thousands of people trying to get the best results looking at the same market , not telling that among them are big sharks that have certain power to the market . So ,in my opinion getting the same profit from a race as we can take from one tennis match it needs much more skill and longer term learning process. Myself coming from tennis I keep trying to learn the markets and spend it already several days placing small bets , all I can say is that I need atleast few good months only to get the big picture of pre race trading . It is a minefield for any begginer , it looks like someone is waiting out there for as to make a small mistake and wipe out the stake tick by tick :)
Alpha322

crossing wrote:" There is no point in watching a Tennis match hoping to cut a small profit if during that time you could have watched 36 races "

I think this statement stands up "yes and no" because its much easier to trade a tennis match where you have to deal with only 2 players and your profit depends on how they play ,while trading pre race horses its a different story because we trade against thousands of people trying to get the best results looking at the same market , not telling that among them are big sharks that have certain power to the market . So ,in my opinion getting the same profit from a race as we can take from one tennis match it needs much more skill and longer term learning process. Myself coming from tennis I keep trying to learn the markets and spend it already several days placing small bets , all I can say is that I need atleast few good months only to get the big picture of pre race trading . It is a minefield for any begginer , it looks like someone is waiting out there for as to make a small mistake and wipe out the stake tick by tick :)
I have to disagree with you re pre race trading. If you are relying on a out come of a event wether it is two people or twenty i class it as a gamble, a deeper risk than controlled anylitical risk of that of pre race trading. i find alot of newbies even in the stock market want a fast fix and do not want to do the hard graph into becomming one of the 5% succsesfull traders out there. I look at my previous PNL,s when i use to trade in play, i lost alot more on in play than what i have pre race trading. Its taken me nearly two years & 1 course (next month) to be getting 60% of my swing trades correct. Its a good achivement when you can make a profit having no risk in the underlying event IMHO
crossing_along

I dont know what strategie you use to apply on PNL but for me tennis trading gives me nice profits since I trade it full time (1 year ) ,offcourse we have up and downs but overall at the end of every month I have enough profit . The reason I want to slowly switch it to horses is the tennis schedule time that not rarely it gives me sleepless nights and haotic personal/family time ; this problem would be gone if I manage to trade horses ...
Innertube

Why not do both. I have tried Tennis but matches take forever and sometimes run over two days. So I only dabble now when it's in the right time zone.
mugsgame

The only people who trade 36 races a day are akin to betting shop fodder. They are the muppets the pros make their wages off.
andyfuller

mugsgame wrote:The only people who trade 36 races a day are akin to betting shop fodder.
Phew, glad I tend to trade more than 36 as otherwise I would be akin to betting shop fodder ;)

The number of markets you trade makes no difference, it is how you trade those markets that makes the difference. So if you only trade 1 but trade it amazingly you can be just as good as the person who trades every race in a day.
Alpha322

andyfuller wrote:
mugsgame wrote:The only people who trade 36 races a day are akin to betting shop fodder.
Phew, glad I tend to trade more than 36 as otherwise I would be akin to betting shop fodder ;)

The number of markets you trade makes no difference, it is how you trade those markets that makes the difference. So if you only trade 1 but trade it amazingly you can be just as good as the person who trades every race in a day.
I agree,i aim to make 5% a day if i make that on one or two races i pack up shop for the day
Sunnyclimes

Do you consistently make 5% per day?

The reason I ask is that I aspire to making 3+% each trading day, and if you are consistently making 5% then a newbie like me would be extremely encouraged.
andyfuller

5% of what?

Also I see no point in packing up for the day when you hit your target. You are foregoing numerous opportunities. Say you make it after the first race on a day like today you would then miss out on another 34 races! But then you would start again tomorrow on the first race - there is no logic to stopping.

You should look at it in the long term, such as a month or a year, but to stop because you have hit your target means your targets are holding you back, who is to say you wouldn't have made 10% on the day had you carried on.

Sure I remember Peter Webb doing a blog post or something on the forum about this exact point.
superfrank

andyfuller wrote:

+1.

Some types of race are easier to profit from than others, but trading the lot is good practice and helps you to improve in the markets you tend to struggle with. The only races I avoid are the ones where there is poor liquidity.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”