Moving to another Machine

waytogo78247

I can't find an easy answer to this so have come here.

Windows kindly enforced another update on my system today and now it wont boot. I have spent 12 hours and it is toast. Lots of Google searching and endless youtube video's and nothing works. Toast I tell you!

I have this machine and already had Betangel installed but never used it as it had none of my settings or many strategy setups.

Is there an easy way to migrate from my old hard drive (now connected via USB to this machine) to get up and running very quickly?

EDIT: If anyone also used onedrive is there a way to backup and save all files and be able to sync to another machine if needed without doing all this again. (I will be retiring my old faithful, even though its a beast and having another machine setup). I would also like to migrate to my laptop as well (alrerady synced to onedrive), so I would be able to use this when on the move.
Last edited by waytogo78247 on Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derek27

waytogo78247 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:13 pm
I can't find an easy answer to this so have come here.

Windows kindly enforced another update on my system today and now it wont boot. I have spent 12 hours and it is toast. Lots of Google searching and endless youtube video's and nothing works. Toast I tell you!

I have this machine and already had Betangel installed but never used it as it had none of my settings or many strategy setups.

Is there an easy way to migrate from my old hard drive (now connected via USB to this machine) to get up and running very quickly?
Your old machine is not toast, the OS installation may be but you can always reinstall Windows on it.

Are you familiar with using the command prompt?

If not, you can download and install WinPE on a USB stick and boot from that. That will at least give you access to your hard drive and allow you to retrieve any important files, including your BA settings.
waytogo78247

I used to be a repair tech and programmer so yes can get to a command promt by booting with a usb but the backup files I need are just not there.

Re-installing windows will give me the same problem in that I would have to re-install all my programs and that causes other problems such as overwritting the config files I need to keep. That is a risky method.

Thank you for the quick reply. I am shattered... Been here since 6:00am and have not laid a single trade/bet!
Derek27

waytogo78247 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:22 pm
I used to be a repair tech and programmer so yes can get to a command promt by booting with a usb but the backup files I need are just not there.

Re-installing windows will give me the same problem in that I would have to re-install all my programs and that causes other problems such as overwritting the config files I need to keep. That is a risky method.

Thank you for the quick reply. I am shattered... Been here since 6:00am and have not laid a single trade/bet!
Do you have access to the old file system?

If your system volume is intact, albeit, not booting, your BA files should be in Users\<username>AppData\Roaming\Bet Angel\Bet Angel Professional. I believe you can copy the contents of this folder into your new installation and you should have all your settings, screen layouts and automation.
Derek27

waytogo78247 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:13 pm
EDIT: If anyone also used onedrive is there a way to backup and save all files and be able to sync to another machine if needed without doing all this again. (I will be retiring my old faithful, even though its a beast and having another machine setup). I would also like to migrate to my laptop as well (alrerady synced to onedrive), so I would be able to use this when on the move.
Yes, I have two machines side-by-side. I have all my main data files on OneDrive so I can seamlessly open any file on either machine.

Just make sure all your files are synced on OneDrive, log in to OneDrive on the other computer, choose a location for the folder and it should sync all the same files.

I've replaced my BA folder for a symbolic link pointing to a OneDrive subfolder so any changes I make to my filters or coupons are immediately available on my other machine. :)
waytogo78247

That is brillian Derek, thank you.

If everything is in

Users\<username>AppData\Roaming\Bet Angel\Bet Angel Professional.

Then I can simply copy from the old hard drive and then sync is with one drive in case I ever get this happening again.

Just one thing for anyone reading this the Users\<username>AppData may be hidden on your machine but just type it in and with sufficent priveldges you will be OK.

In fact Derek I started to copy the 100k+ files and over a quarter of a gig and started BA and everything in Guardian opens up (even the closed markets from yesterday). Filters, strategies, the whole lot is now good to go.

Thank you again Derek I was lucky you were on hand at this time for an easy "Move" and maybe Peter would like to make this a sticky so it is at the top of the forum for anyone who wants the quick move without feeling they stuck in escrow!.

Return to “Technology”