Python

Discussion regarding the spreadsheet functionality of Bet Angel.
LeTiss

I see Microsoft have been excitedly announcing the introduction of Python in Excel
foxwood

Death knell for loads of legacy VBA spreadsheets probably. Corporate fun.

Mind boggles at the mess that people will be able to get in with python and the vast array of open libraries and various versions available. But at least their VS implementation was useable so they might have just lifted that across.
Derek27

foxwood wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:34 pm
Death knell for loads of legacy VBA spreadsheets probably. Corporate fun.

Mind boggles at the mess that people will be able to get in with python and the vast array of open libraries and various versions available. But at least their VS implementation was useable so they might have just lifted that across.
I'm sure VBA will continue to be supported. My understanding is that Python code will be running on the Microsoft cloud rather than executing on your machine. It's already been implemented for people who have signed up to the insider programme.

For the moment though, I can't be arsed to learn another language.
Euler

Saw the announcement, looks interesting. They will need to update ChatGPT though!
conduirez

I cannot see them dumping VBA as there are too many business users who use VBA out there, although VBA has always been cumbersome and slow.

I have been using a python package called xlwings for years it operates through the win32 com API using the pywin32 package giving a direct interface from python to Excel, I suspect Microsoft had a brainwave and thought we can use this idea.

Python in its simplest is not that different to VBA if you use it as a procedural language and do not let yourself get bogged down with Objects and classes, here is a simple bit of code using a function to write to an excel workbook sheet1 using xlwings.
Screenshot 2023-08-30 143541.png
This code was written using pycharm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ShaunWhite

conduirez wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:39 pm
I cannot see them dumping VBA as there are too many business users who use VBA out there, although VBA has always been cumbersome and slow.
Agree, corporations don't make risky and costly changes until they're absolutely forced to. Having once been the guy who signed-off that sort of thing I can say it was often cheaper to pay Microsoft to maintain side-streans no longer available to the general public than to just lurch into the unknown. All change represents risk.
ODPaul82

From what I've read today ut won't be local version of python that it uses, it's a collaboration between MS & Anaconda and all python calculation requests will be transferred up to an Azure VM and calculated there with the resulting values transferred back into spreadsheet.

There will be an additional licensing cost for this, &if I were a betting man it will be based on the number of calculations performed.

The main gripe I'm seeing is the fact it's not local install of python so you would have (a) cost and (b) limited to what libraries they see fit.
foxwood

and processing time plus you're stuffed if it goes down at a critical time while trading

The xlwings mentioned above looks good if you really want python - not difficult to plug other languages in using COM either.
conduirez

The more I read the more certain I am that this is a very similar model at the high end to xlwings.

Obviously excel will have menu items for its own anaconda Python within its ribbon, similar to the xlwings add in I suppose.

Anyone interested though in xlwings read this

https://www.xlwings.org/

I have also included the pricing list to show what is available free source, which is I believe is more than enough for users on this forum, so you will not have to pay to use it

https://www.xlwings.org/pricing

The xlwings add in for windows only though, look down the page and see the image.

https://python-bloggers.com/2023/01/how ... for-excel/
conduirez

I come across this clip that gives more insight to what Microsoft are doing, hope this helps some of you but for anyone with slow data analysis using cell formulas or VBA if this pans out, then Python should really help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnYCprFigy4

It just depends what they are going to charge for and how much.

Return to “Bet Angel - Spreadsheet / Excel chat”