Declining Horse Racing Volumes

The sport of kings.
ShaunWhite

Charliechee wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:28 am
Hey Shaun you have a graph for AUS "in play" same timeline?
It's in step with the aus pre-race numbers. Uk/Aus greyhounds similar, slightly worse.

It's all down but not critical.
Archangel

Is there a reason why liquidity has been in decline over the longer term ?
Euler

Archangel wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:06 pm
I think it's a bit rough to just point at Racing, volumes on most sports are down, apart from Cricket.

Affordability measures are no doubt a contributing factor, but also Betfair's lack of promotion of the exchange probably hasn't helped and the things that go with it.

There is still a LOT of opportunity out there.
jimibt

Kai wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:11 pm
jimibt wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:08 am
(think forex/crypto etc)
You involved in any of those Jimbo?
yeah - been playing with ICT concepts in forex. ICT is an approach that looks at orderflow in terms of how liquidity is used by banks/institutions/clearing and identifies things such as orderblocks (OB's), fair value gaps fvg's) and other technical nuances. it's a mechanical approach which literally builds a picture of the market based on a mix of the above and the activce market hours (London/NY sessions).

in short, it eschews all the traditional TA such as Vwap/Ma/Rsi etc...

It makes sense to me to look at this type of thing these days as there is mega liquidity in those markets and a FEW of the learnings from sports trading can be applied. This is an image from my current trading screen. Altho all graphically drawn out, in truth, these represent what my algo is looking for under the covers. Using a platform called cTrader -allows you to use native c# code inside to create your own algos/logic.

Works for me, tho still early days.

snapshot-ict.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jimibt on Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
napshnap

I really like the dude's (Bobajob) entusiasm!
Euler

jimibt wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:47 pm
Kai wrote:
jimibt wrote:
(think forex/crypto etc)
yeah - been playing with ICT concepts in forex. ICT is an approach that looks at orderflow in terms of how liquidity is used by banks/institutions/clearing and identifies things such as orderblocks (OB's), fair value gaps fvg's) and other technical nuances. it's a mechanical approach which literally builds a picture of the market based on a mix of the above and the activce market hours (London/NY sessions).

It makes sense to me to look at this type of thing these days as there is mega liquidity in those markets and a FEW of the learnings from sports trading can be applied. This is an image from my current trading screen. Altho all graphically drawn out, in truth, these represent what my algo is looking for under the covers. Using a platform called cTrader -allows you to use native c# code inside to create your own algos/logic.

snapshot-ict.png
I think there are quite a few things transferrable between markets.

My first attempts at trading short term on financials was hopeless, but sports trading taught me what my real objective was with trading and that transformed my outlook.
Kai

jimibt wrote:
Kai wrote:
jimibt wrote:
(think forex/crypto etc)

snapshot-ict.png
Interesting stuff, I was hoping to explore other markets over the next few years as well, to see what their opportunities look like and how competitive they are. A good friend has been trying to get me into it and keeps saying it would suit my skillset better, so I've had a nagging feeling about it ever since.
Euler

Sports markets are easier as you don't have the various institutional biases and edges that exist in financials. But obviously, financials are much more scalable.
Bobajob

napshnap wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:49 pm
I really like the dude's (Bobajob) entusiasm!
It's my passion !!
"'Better to die on your feet than live forever on your knees." Emiliano Zapata
ShaunWhite

Archangel wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:06 pm
Long term wage stagnation and inflation.
Last edited by ShaunWhite on Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
grimm

jimibt wrote:
Kai wrote:
jimibt wrote:
(think forex/crypto etc)

if you looking for order flow type then check market profile and volume profile.
snapshot-ict.png
Euler

As I said further up, still a couple of bob around on the right races
Stavros

It is a worry the declining volumes on racing, I personally think a lot of this is down to how little advertising of the exchanges there is. I literally never see an advert for the Betfair exchange. I feel like Flutter has almost given up on the UK betting markets, they are so focused on America now. I mean do you see many adverts for Betfair or PaddyPower these days?

I am surprised in a way because the exchanges is surely where any serious gambler would go, they offer the best odds and you don’t get your account restricted. I had my Virginbet account restricted last week, shame as they offered so many free bets. I wish I put some big money on bets at Virginbet and layed them off as best as I could on the exchanges, hoping to lose with Virginbet so would appear to be losing lots.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”