Betfair account hacking attempt

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
TomR96

I fell victim to a successful hacking attempt on Saturday. Signed up to mention:

I was gambling this weekend on the Exchange across football/darts matches.

I have a habit of placing a bet, and if a winner, instantly withdrawing before then depositing again later on if I see another bet I want to place.

On Saturday, I’d just won a bet on a Darts game and went away for a bit, and came back expecting to see £180 in my account. The money had gone, so I thought ‘eh?’ before checking my withdrawal requests and seeing the £180 there. I thought I must have withdrew this, as per usual, and carried on depositing, betting, etc.

It was only today that I noticed the £180 hadn’t made its way into my account. All other withdrawals typically process and hit my bank within a few hours.

I reached out to Betfair and they asked if I remembered placing the withdrawal. I explained that I couldn’t remember doing so, and they mentioned it was going to my Revolut bank account. I’ve never added a Revolut bank account to my profile, so they said they will need to investigate this. They went through other questions such as have I shared my logins etc, with the answer obviously being no.

Since then, I’ve checked my IP login history and noticed some attempts from different cities across the country. The log only shows you the most recent 10 attempts, and as I had been contacting Betfair while out, a good 6-7 of the most recent ones were me going in and out of mobile reception. But I caught a few from random locations up north.

I was always under the impression that the account/card would have to link to your name, and that you’d have to deposit the same amount in order to withdraw it, but apparently not.

Worried now as to whether I’ll see this money again.

Return to “Betfair exchange”