Guardian automation v excel

Advanced automation available in Guardian - Chat with others and share files here.
Luke.B

Hi guys,
Would you say the triggered bets in guardian automation happens quicker than Excel.

Eg if i wrote a guardian automation to place back bet once bet is 20% higher than stored value price versus
Excel formula that places back bet once a recorded value at a certain time is 20% higher

would the gurdian perform the back bet quicker becuase there are less steps?
or is guardian talking to excel and excel talking back to guardian so quick that there is no difference?

The reason i ask is i am comfortable with more formula type bets in excel but if bets trigger quicker in Guardian automation then i guess i need to work out how to save calculations better as stored values etc.
tryingtotrade

Was wondering also if large rules files have an effect on latency.
If bet placement is based on several stored values that have to be calculated before a bet is placed, does that take time or even large rules files with 100s of lines and lot of stored value calculations at every refresh have close to no impact on lag/latency? Thanks
Anbell

Luke.B wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:36 am
Hi guys,
Would you say the triggered bets in guardian automation happens quicker than Excel.

Eg if i wrote a guardian automation to place back bet once bet is 20% higher than stored value price versus
Excel formula that places back bet once a recorded value at a certain time is 20% higher

or is guardian talking to excel and excel talking back to guardian so quick that there is no difference?

The reason i ask is i am comfortable with more formula type bets in excel but if bets trigger quicker in Guardian automation then i guess i need to work out how to save calculations better as stored values etc.
I can't imagine that you'd have a situation where this difference matters much, so long as you maintain some basic operating efficiencies. If you run BA on a low-rated machine and store/save lots of variables and never restart either BA or machine, then performance can get sluggish, but if you restarted frequently then it shouldnt matter much, for most uses.
Luke.B

Thanks. Was wondering if any one has done any official tests. E.g. running the same command from guardian automation v excel command.
I really appreciate your reply Anbell. I have to disagree with this though "I can't imagine that you'd have a situation where this difference matters much" . it might be through my ignorance, but if i spent 6 months on a strategy through excel only to find its not the optimum way to get a bet matched e.g. i miss out on an entry price, then i would be shattered and would have to start again learning how to apply the strategy through Guardian automation.
sionascaig

I'd only use excel if I couldn't use the BA automation.

Haven't had recourse to use excel much - other than just messing about.

Would be surprised is if its not the most efficient solution (between these two approaches) for automating trades as it was specifically built to do that. And if it wasn't I'm sure we would have heard by now.

There are a few on here who use bespoke solutions for there own specific reasons,
tryingtotrade

Anbell wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:18 am
Luke.B wrote:
Hi guys,

I can't imagine that you'd have a situation where this difference matters much, so long as you maintain some basic operating efficiencies. If you run BA on a low-rated machine and store/save lots of variables and never restart either BA or machine, then performance can get sluggish, but if you restarted frequently then it shouldnt matter much, for most uses.
Betangel not running smoothly for me, have been attempting to store a lot of averages where I store money available at every price at every refresh, maybe thats already causing it?
Derek27

I find Excel slower than Guardian automation but that's most probably down to the VBA data processing. Otherwise speed is largely down to your refresh rate. I don't have any really complex rules file so Guardian seems pretty quick.
Anbell

tryingtotrade wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:18 pm
Anbell wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:18 am
Luke.B wrote:
Hi guys,

Betangel not running smoothly for me, have been attempting to store a lot of averages where I store money available at every price at every refresh, maybe thats already causing it?
Very possibly. Rebooting BA frequently should help.

Return to “Bet Angel - Automation”