Anyone growing tomatoes? (The Gardening thread)

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
ShaunWhite

firlandsfarm wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:22 am
No, their babies are large maggoty things called "Leather Jackets" ... they live below the surface of the lawn eating the roots and the base of the stems of the grass and other small weeds in the lawn.
We have a problem with those round our way. Every year someone or other is having to tear their lawn out and start again. Won't happen to us because I've done away with the lawn. :) It's no refreshing going into the garden and actually doing gardening rather than having to cut the lawn first and then you can't be bothered to do much else.

Potatoes were rubbish this year. The first and second earlies just crumbled when you cook them and weren't waxy at all The dry June was the problem apparently. And worse, 4 types of chilli and they're all utterly tasteless. :(
firlandsfarm

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:37 am
firlandsfarm wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:22 am
No, their babies are large maggoty things called "Leather Jackets" ... they live below the surface of the lawn eating the roots and the base of the stems of the grass and other small weeds in the lawn.
We have a problem with those round our way. Every year someone or other is having to tear their lawn out and start again. Won't happen to us because I've done away with the lawn. :) It's no refreshing going into the garden and actually doing gardening rather than having to cut the lawn first and then you can't be bothered to do much else.

Potatoes were rubbish this year. The first and second earlies just crumbled when you cook them and weren't waxy at all The dry June was the problem apparently. And worse, 4 types of chilli and they're all utterly tasteless. :(
I have about 2 acres of lawn so decided to invest (yes for the time saved I mean invest) in a robot mower. Best decision ever. You just left your feet if it approaches you while having a beer! :D

Agree about the spuds. My earlies are 'fall aparts' even the International Kidney (Jersey Royal when grown in Jersey) :(

As for the leather jackets, they have gradually become near extinct since some bats moved in and now live behind the wall tiles on the upper level. I can't remember when they moved in but before they did we would have plenty of crane flies, now next to zero. So instead of digging up the lawn go and get yourself a bat settlement! :lol:
ShaunWhite

firlandsfarm wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:44 pm
Agree about the spuds. My earlies are 'fall aparts' even the International Kidney (Jersey Royal when grown in Jersey) :(

As for the leather jackets, they have gradually become near extinct since some bats moved in and now live behind the wall tiles on the upper level. I can't remember when they moved in but before they did we would have plenty of crane flies, now next to zero. So instead of digging up the lawn go and get yourself a bat settlement! :lol:
Sorry I only just saw this, that's reassuring about the spuds I suppose, I had Jersey Royals and Arran Pilots.

I put 2 big ponds in this year and the air is already full of bats some evenings and that's before much wildlife has moved in. Love em. I know they won't crash into you but they get damn close. But there's less insects generally, years ago the car windscreen would be covered in them but now it stays almost clean.

Pickling jalapenos and nursing my marrow today (oh err missus) . Some white mildew on the marrow due to lack of air circulation but really don't want to lose it. It's not a veg you see in the shops much cos they get harvested as courgettes but stuffed marrow is a Lincolnshire fav in my house. 1" slices, peeled and the pith taken out, stuffed with good sausage meat, blob of butter and pepper on top, roast till golden. Waxy spuds, gravey and baked beans. Simple but good.
20230909_192333.jpg
Screenshot_20230910_171143_Gallery.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kai

When someone compliments your lawn : https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Bxp4VZP9UCk
The Silk Run

Out harvesting Magic Mushrooms today :)
Kai

The Silk Run wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:15 pm
Out harvesting Magic Mushrooms today :)
Have a safe trip miss

Don't forget to hydrate :)
Derek27

Seeds are out, and Lidl is definitely the best place to get them, they go as low as 29p. You can probably buy the same seeds at B&Q for £3.50!
The Silk Run

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:24 pm
Seeds are out, and Lidl is definitely the best place to get them, they go as low as 29p. You can probably buy the same seeds at B&Q for £3.50!
That's an interesting lead Dex. I will follow that up ....
Hortic07

I can't believe this.

I'm a professional gardener, I have been working in the industry 20 years as a head gardener, lecturer, designer. I have a master's degree in horticulture. I was looking to finally have a go at trading Betfair for a change and then I see this thread! It must be fate and I will have to go back into the cold.

Perhaps I could trade gardening knowledge for your trading strategies.......
Derek27

Hortic07 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:08 pm
I can't believe this.

I'm a professional gardener, I have been working in the industry 20 years as a head gardener, lecturer, designer. I have a master's degree in horticulture. I was looking to finally have a go at trading Betfair for a change and then I see this thread! It must be fate and I will have to go back into the cold.

Perhaps I could trade gardening knowledge for your trading strategies.......
Welcome to the forum Hortic, we look forward to your input. :)

I started this thread during the lockdown, feeling a bit of an idiot asking about tomato seedlings on a trading forum. I was hoping for a quick answer and expected the thread to quickly disappear into ether. It was probably spurred on by the horse racing ban, but it does go to show, we all need tomatoes and anyone with a square foot of soil will want something to grow on it. :D
Derek27

Look how much grass my cat's eaten - there's barely any left. :lol: :lol:

2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Derek27

I've just sown a new lawn. Before raking in the seeds, I stepped back to take a look, my garden looked as though it's covered in rice!

Now I'm worried I might have a rice plantation growing in my garden. :lol:
bru

Heh heh - love the cat :)

What grass seeds are you using if you don't mind me asking - my garden area is almost totally bare. Three times I have used fescue grass seed but it either does not last and once it caused
the grass to rot and started producing more weeds than normal.
Derek27

bru wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:20 pm
Heh heh - love the cat :)

What grass seeds are you using if you don't mind me asking - my garden area is almost totally bare. Three times I have used fescue grass seed but it either does not last and once it caused
the grass to rot and started producing more weeds than normal.
I just got all-purpose grass seeds from ASDA. I didn't see the point in paying three times as much from B&Q. I was thinking of sowing an English ornamental lawn as it's a small garden and I don't tread on the grass much, but could find the seeds and didn't have time to look.

Yes, my lawn died over the winter. Excessive rain and dampness encouraged patches of that horrible looking moss all over the lawn, and by the time I raked it all up there wasn't much lawn left.
bru

Thanks Derek, will give these a go. Happy Easter.

Return to “Chill Out Area”