RANT CORNER

A place to discuss anything.
firlandsfarm

Michael5482 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:12 pm
About time people advertising AI Systems for trading or betting were banned from social media, fined £500,000 and jailed for 2 years, sick to death of seeing them, they have absolutely nothing AI based at all absolute con artists.
AI is the current snakebite magic elixir!
conduirez

firlandsfarm wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:38 pm
Michael5482 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:12 pm
About time people advertising AI Systems for trading or betting were banned from social media, fined £500,000 and jailed for 2 years, sick to death of seeing them, they have absolutely nothing AI based at all absolute con artists.
AI is the current snakebite magic elixir!
The only reason they exist, is because there are gullible people out there, and as firlandsfarm points out AI is a magic elixir.

I won't fall for any of them myself though, I will stick by my tried and tested Martingale system. :lol: :lol: :roll:
firlandsfarm

conduirez wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:31 am
I won't fall for any of them myself though, I will stick by my tried and tested Martingale system. :lol: :lol: :roll:
Brilliant ending! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Derek27

After paying billions to shareholders and digging themselves into debt, Thames Water are considering putting up customer bills up 40% to pay for it!
conduirez

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:04 pm
After paying billions to shareholders and digging themselves into debt, Thames Water are considering putting up customer bills up 40% to pay for it!
As long as Anglian Water don't, me and you are OK Derek. ;)
Derek27

conduirez wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:24 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:04 pm
As long as Anglian Water don't, me and you are OK Derek. ;)
I think it's a nationwide problem. All water companies need massive investment, the money has to come from somewhere and I doubt it will come from the shareholders, with calls for nationalisation growing.
andy28

Its worldwide problem, no one sees the state of the water mains. I worked on them for 30+yrs and have known they aren't in great shape for most of that time. The issue is Consultants their fees are enormous and when they get it wrong which is most of the time they take zero responsibility and say their role is to only "Suggest" solutions its up to the Local Authority to make the final decision

I left the waterworks and spent 10yrs on roading and it is the same, Consultants take all the money a deliver nothing. Last year after Cyclone Gabrielle I went back to help out and it was clear the consultants were out of their depth. That cyclone set a world record for having 750,000 slips (most on farms not on roading networks) but we had consultants tell us to take the toe out of the slips, the biggest no no in roading, I was on a job where we called them up and said while we are here we will take it all as it wont stay there and will come down in the next storm, they said point blank we couldn't touch it just clear the drain. So we did, next heavy rain down it came this time blocking the whole road, so back we went, set up the site again take all the gear back to the dumpsites, a set up cost of over $10K to the rate payers. I lost count of how many time we did this. We would load diggers, loaders onto trailers drive 60km to another job but drive past 100's of slips on the way.

Our plan was open the network then put crews in specific areas and do everything, as it was a civil defence emergency we could call in another 4 Earthmoving companies so split the area in to 5, the consultants so no, so left it all to us, month later they split the area into "Zones" and put other contractors into those zones. Took them 1 month and close to $500K to do what we thought of in 10 minutes

In my little neck of the woods we have only 4000 rate payers and a roading network of over 1300kms (over some steep Terrain) and without taking into account last years cyclone our Local Authority spent on ave $10m on consultant fees. How many pot holes, roads and water mains could be repaired with sort of money per annum?

The way it works in this country is the money goes to the Council, their engineers look at what they want done give it to the Consultants that workout what can be done then send that to the Contractors Engineers to do the Job. Why 3 Engineers to do what is most of the time a repetitive job.

There is a joke about Consultants "When I die I want to come back as a Consultant, I get paid all the money and take no responsibility".

Sorry for the rant but I find out today that my rates will increase by 21% this year 21% next year and the insurance companies have said the increases will be around 38% this year and a further 38% next year.

Get rid of the consultants and get the guys on the tools to get the job done and we could do the work, put more crews on roads/water mains
sionascaig

andy28 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:04 pm

Sorry for the rant but I find out today that my rates will increase by 21% this year 21% next year and the insurance companies have said the increases will be around 38% this year and a further 38% next year.
Excellent rant... (one of the best !)
Derek27

I'm sure the clocks used to go forward between 2-3, rather than 1-2?

I forwarded a clock at the correct time and then it forwarded again after 2.
conduirez

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:58 am
I'm sure the clocks used to go forward between 2-3, rather than 1-2?

I forwarded a clock at the correct time and then it forwarded again after 2.
I haven't got time for this argument, I am sure I have already lost an hour with it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Derek27

FFS, ASDA's closed!!

The annoying thing is that I could see it was closed from 100m away but thought, I got this far, I may as well go up to the door just in case it's open and everyone's having Sunday dinner. Then I had a 100m walk of shame through the carpark, as people drove by in their cars, probably pointing and saying, "Look, that idiot thought ASDA would be open on Easter Sunday". :lol: :lol:
firlandsfarm

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:54 pm
FFS, ASDA's closed!!
Easter Sunday has the same status as Christmas Day
andy28

Derek27 wrote:
FFS, ASDA's closed!!

The annoying thing is that I could see it was closed from 100m away but thought, I got this far, I may as well go up to the door just in case it's open and everyone's having Sunday dinner. Then I had a 100m walk of shame through the carpark, as people drove by in their cars, probably pointing and saying, "Look, that idiot thought ASDA would be open on Easter Sunday". :lol: :lol:
I would have ripped out some plants or got some rocks and put them in your bags to make them look full, that way people might have driven past and gone in thinking they must be open, or spent 30 minutes driving around to see where you got your shopping.
Derek27

andy28 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:44 pm
Derek27 wrote:
FFS, ASDA's closed!!

I would have ripped out some plants or got some rocks and put them in your bags to make them look full, that way people might have driven past and gone in thinking they must be open, or spent 30 minutes driving around to see where you got your shopping.
That's a good idea. Their plants were still outside, I could have nicked some. :)
Derek27

I've reached S3 E4 of the IT Crowd, and the episode has been removed from Channel 4's catchup! I have to search YouTube for it.

Apparently it contained transgender jokes. :lol:

Return to “General discussion”