Disable 3 second bet timer

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
rosso1984

Hello, every time I place a bet on the ladder, it has a 3 second countdown before it actually places the bet. Please can someone help me disable this as I can't find the setting anywhere and it is driving me crazy!!
Derek27

rosso1984 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:53 am
Hello, every time I place a bet on the ladder, it has a 3 second countdown before it actually places the bet. Please can someone help me disable this as I can't find the setting anywhere and it is driving me crazy!!
That is not a Bet Angel function. It's a function of the Betfair exchange and only applies to markets in-play to level up the playing field for people watching the event with varying latencies. It cannot be disabled.
Fugazi

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:23 am
rosso1984 wrote:
That is not a Bet Angel function. It's a function of the Betfair exchange and only applies to markets in-play to level up the playing field for people watching the event with varying latencies. It cannot be disabled.
I've never really understood how this works.. I mean theyre still ahead of everyone else ?
Derek27

Fugazi wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:24 pm
Derek27 wrote:
rosso1984 wrote:
I've never really understood how this works.. I mean theyre still ahead of everyone else ?
They still have an advantage but it's a reduced advantage. With a 5-second delay, as long as the suspend monkey suspends after a goal within 5 seconds of the goal being scored, in theory, it should be impossible for somebody at the match to back the goal-scoring side after the goal has been scored.
jamesedwards

Fugazi wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:24 pm
Derek27 wrote:
rosso1984 wrote:
You can cancel an offer immediately, but to take an offer takes X seconds. So an in-play bet delay incentivises market makers and liquidity providers to make offers rather than just take.

The delay varies on football based on expected max delay to Betfair's live info feed. This protects market makers from being wiped out by a significant event being acted on before the market can be suspended. Nobody with any sense would put any money up on a football in-play market with zero delay, so there would be much less liquidity.
Kai

It's a good thing, like others have said it's to try and somewhat level the playing field for everyone involved

When I was market making tennis before it went tits up you really needed to be on your toes or else you get swept up by courtsiders and the like

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”