Weight of Money

A place to discuss anything.
kenfrost

Just a general question about weight of money on eg horse racing.

I have seen on the forum people say that wom is an important factor to take into account when making a decision about a trade.

On some of the pre race markets I have seen wom at say 70% on the back side, indicating that there is a downward pressure on the price, yet on many occasions despite that 70% pressure the price goes in entirely the opposite direction upwards even though wom continues to indicate downward price pressure (and vice versa when the wom indicates the price will rise)?

Am I misunderstanding what wom is telling me?

Comments and opinions welcome.

weemac

kenfrost wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:29 am

I have seen wom at say 70% on the back side, indicating that there is a downward pressure on the price, yet on many occasions despite that 70% pressure the price goes in entirely the opposite direction upwards
What does that tell you about WOM as an indicator?
decomez6

kenfrost wrote:

yes if you are mistaking it for
-weight of flow-
amount of matched volume against the price action

wom : amount of unmatched volume on best 3 prices , both sides of the market.
some genuine ,some not, some crossmatched.....etc
in your scenario :
it could indicate closing bets waiting to be filled after the participants have exhausted their opening bets tilting the balance in the opposite direction.
kenfrost

decomez6 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:50 pm
kenfrost wrote:

yes if you are mistaking it for
-weight of flow-
amount of matched volume against the price action

wom : amount of unmatched volume on best 3 prices , both sides of the market.
some genuine ,some not, some crossmatched.....etc
in your scenario :
it could indicate closing bets waiting to be filled after the participants have exhausted their opening bets tilting the balance in the opposite direction.
Anbell

I think there's a general sense that WOM is not useful any more.
kenfrost

Anbell wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:18 pm
I think you have a point, although many of the discussions on the forum often mention wom and the need for it to be incorporated into bots.
andyb2929

It's still useful but I'd only say as a metric to ensure you are not entering a bad position. Just in case there is someone trying to get a huge bet matched.
jimibt

i've personally seldom found WOM to add any real value, especially in well formed markets. potentially in more obscure markets where there are no shenanigans going on with placing and removing offers, then possibly some value.
decomez6

kenfrost wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:23 am
Anbell wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:18 pm
I think you have a point, although many of the discussions on the forum often mention wom and the need for it to be incorporated into bots.
I find it useful when manual trading in conjunction with position in queue.
When the hunters become the hunted :
Big traders will iceberg orders , they come and leave without leaving a trail of evidence. BUT .. sometimes you get bombers from misfiring bots ( fat fingers)
OR bots that have been Flashed by bigger traders.
So be weary when using your wom condition. It could be a hunting ground for other bots that will trigger your bot ,to show your hand.
In that sense wom is useful for the hunter of stop losses and also for you to know when it happens.
sionascaig

I find WoM (or a version of it) very handy to identify when money comes off the ladders.

Its a good indication that something has happened in the market that the fast feeds / courtsiders have picked up, say in cricket or footy and you are behind them timewise.

Inplay, you can cancel bets immediately but subject to a bet delay for any placement, so good indicator of a significant event and opportunity to cancel any bets you have waiting to be matched before they are swept up.

That said my attempts to automate a "cancel" bets rule on cricket have so far been v inconsistent so suspect easier said than to do well...
Kai

sionascaig wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:12 am
I find WoM (or a version of it) very handy to identify when money comes off the ladders.

Its a good indication that something has happened in the market that the fast feeds / courtsiders have picked up, say in cricket or footy and you are behind them timewise.
Indeed, they will be among the first to scurry away, and the instant cancel mechanic is open to various "abuse"

For OP's use case it's pretty useless I'm afraid, otherwise 90% of newbies would be profitable inside the first week
kenfrost

Kai wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:07 am
sionascaig wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:12 am

Indeed, they will be among the first to scurry away, and the instant cancel mechanic is open to various "abuse"

For OP's use case it's pretty useless I'm afraid, otherwise 90% of newbies would be profitable inside the first week
Yup, I think that comment wrt newbies hits the nail on the head :)
Anbell

Kai wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:07 am
That's what I was trying to convey! Interesting to learn that others use it for different reasons.

Return to “General discussion”